Quantcast
Quick audio/video record/replay via computer/net - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick audio/video record/replay via computer/net
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quick audio/video record/replay via computer/net

I know the subject is kind of vague, but I have a client who is a musician and wants to be able to watch his live gig on the bus going back home. I'm talking about already captured into a computer and able to be dumped online for others to see as he is leaving the venue!

This is not for production, but for the members of the band, who will want to see what happened as soon as possible, preferably available over the internet. So it doesn't have to be elaborate or perfect, but it has to be good enough to see and hear what happened, given a stereo mix off the board and a single camera parked facing the stage the entire time.

Obviously, we can do this with a miniDV HD cam with audio, and watch the tape, but he wants it ready for online immediately.

My experience is with multi-camera HD video capture and multi-track audio which gets slowly edited into a nice finished product for later delivery on DVD and Blu-Ray, which is the polar opposite of this request.

So my explanation has always been along the lines of "Dude, we're talking about Gigs of data and many hours of compression to get to that point." But I also know about services like UStream where you can broadcast a live show with modestly passable quality, and they may even allow recording over the internet (I know Stickam would let you record a few years ago when I was experimenting with it).

Our preference is really to not have to rely on things like the internet (we may be playing in the middle of the boonies somewhere). So we'd be talking about a laptop or iPod with one camera and a stereo audio pair type of situation.

So what options exist today for having a ready-to-go, already-compressed video and sound recording of your live performance sitting on your computer as you are pulling out of the venue? Windows or Apple options are acceptable.

Thanks,
MCL
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Recently I did a sporting event live to the net and we were given a 'box' to use for the job (I cant recall the make) commercially produced that had web streaming o/p as well as a USB record slot.
Another thought is that my home PVR has a USB record o/p.... now I don't know if this for a direct record or for file transfer of already recorded material.

Edit; the USB port is for up dates and data transfer, not direct record but there is an eSATA port for an external drive which can be recorded on.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Blackmagic has very affordable h.264 computer interfaces (records Quicktime directly to drive).
These have to be fed with embedded video. You'd need a fairly high quality camera that outputs embedded video (SDI) and feed the PA mix into the line inputs of that camera.

Most or all DV or HDV cameras have a USB or firewire output that lets you record video and audio directly to your computer, you do have to be able to feed the PA mix into the camera.

Blackmagic or AJA have interfaces with seperate video and audio inputs too.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or... Purchase a copy of "WireCast", shoot on the camera of your choice, send a DV feed from the cam into a MBP, and stream through WireCast out of a closed net (you're talking tour bus here, right?) as soon as you push "play". If it needs to hit the web, you'll need a stout Internet feed (we're on a T1) and if you're mobile you'll likely need a sat link of some sort. I don't know if that is affordable or even possible.

Standalone solutions would include NewTek Tricaster, and Sony and Panasonic have similar boxes, IIRC. They would present the same web connection issues.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…