The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sennheiser MKH8090 (Wide-Cardioid)
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
New Sennheiser MKH8090 (Wide-Cardioid)

Newest edition to the MKH8000 series,

Sennheiser: Headphones, Microphones and Wireless Systems

Exciting stuff, yet still no MKH8030 for us M/S fans using MKH8000 series mics.
Attached Images
File Type: png !!!mkh8090.png (102.9 KB, 493 views)
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thank you! that is just what I've been needing for wireless overheads

not gonna guess the price after adding accessories
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➑️
t
not gonna guess the price after adding accessories
Probably the same as the 8020 and 8040 which are Β£989 +VAT in the UK for the mic with windshield, clip and XLR module.

Now - when is that 8030 coming?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, nice going Senn! This, I'm going to check out...

But again, we want a 8030.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Always one to look on the downside , it is too bad these capsules contain all the electronics, making it a rather expensive and impractical option just by buy the capsules without the connector. At least they are reasonably priced compared to Schoeps and DPA.

Love my 8040's, would really like to hear this one to see if it is strictly an in-between of the 20's and 40's or if is really does have a special fine tuned "shine" like they claim.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I, too, am hoping for a 8030 some day. I hope they'll at least have the decency to tell us if they know with certainty that it's NOT going to happen...
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Boots ➑️
I, too, am hoping for a 8030 some day. I hope they'll at least have the decency to tell us if they know with certainty that it's NOT going to happen...
I have asked several times and have been told definitely that it is still on the roadmap.

The last time was back in June when they told me that it was still being designed, but that I would see the wide-cardioid first.

As we just have.......

I just think that Sennheiser will be very surprised when they do release the 8030 and that it will sell much better than they think.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
I have asked several times and have been told definitely that it is still on the roadmap.

The last time was back in June when they told me that it was still being designed, but that I would see the wide-cardioid first.

As we just have.......

I just think that Sennheiser will be very surprised when they do release the 8030 and that it will sell much better than they think.
Looks like a very good mic.
Old 14th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
"The MKH 8000 series at a glance
MKH 8020 omni-directional
MKH 8040 cardioid
MKH 8050 super-cardioid
MKH 8060 short shotgun
MKH 8070 long shotgun
MKH 8090 wide cardioid"

Well they have used up almost all the numbers : the MKH 8030 MUST be next - or will it be after the 8080 :-(
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSounds ➑️
"The MKH 8000 series at a glance
MKH 8020 omni-directional
MKH 8040 cardioid
MKH 8050 super-cardioid
MKH 8060 short shotgun
MKH 8070 long shotgun
MKH 8090 wide cardioid"

Well they have used up almost all the numbers : the MKH 8030 MUST be next - or will it be after the 8080 :-(
According to old Sennheiser numbering, an 8080 should be switchable-pattern (if it ever comes).

So, 8030 fig-8 please. I know they plan to do it, but I don't know when.

In 2008 Sennheiser told me the 8030 was planned for 2010 and I said then that it was too far in the future..........
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by john willett ➑️
according to old sennheiser numbering, an 8080 should be switchable-pattern (if it ever comes).
MKH80, MKH800, MKH8000 or MKH80000? (not too seriously...)

Or perhaps the MKH800 is already the 8000 series switchable, since it has the same HF extension and shape (when set to flat) as the 8000 series mic's. Or maybe the 8000 series is based on the 800. It will be interesting to see what they might do with that, whatever it is called and if they offer it.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic ➑️
Always one to look on the downside , it is too bad these capsules contain all the electronics, making it a rather expensive and impractical option just by buy the capsules without the connector. At least they are reasonably priced compared to Schoeps and DPA.
Think of them more as modular compact microphones, and in that sense they are unique. As you say, they are still less expensive than the competition. Plus, you can use all of your "capsules" at once, because they are all complete microphones, something you can't do with separate caps and bodies. Twice the mic's, half the price sort of thing. And they sound more expensive than they are. So maybe it's four times the mic's, half the price.

And you do gain that enviable form factor.....

They aren't quite the mic's for me, except for the hypercardioid which I've heard and which I'd really like!, but they are great mic's for a great price.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG ➑️
Think of them more as modular compact microphones, and in that sense they are unique. As you say, they are still less expensive than the competition. Plus, you can use all of your "capsules" at once, because they are all complete microphones, something you can't do with separate caps and bodies. Twice the mic's, half the price sort of thing. And they sound more expensive than they are. So maybe it's four times the mic's, half the price.
What I don't understand is why anyone would buy these based on the "lower" price. I recently purchased a new Schoeps CMC6 + MK4 combo for 995 euros, while the going price for the MKH 8040 is 934 euros. No VAT included in both examples. So the difference is only 61 euros. And I do get a fully modular combo for that money, so I can add capsules to the body. Should I buy the MKH 8040 based on the sound? I don't know because I haven't heard it, so I would appreciate comments from people in the know here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➑️
What I don't understand is why anyone would buy these based on the "lower" price. I recently purchased a new Schoeps CMC6 + MK4 combo for 995 euros, while the going price for the MKH 8040 is 934 euros. No VAT included in both examples. So the difference is only 61 euros. And I do get a fully modular combo for that money, so I can add capsules to the body. Should I buy the MKH 8040 based on the sound? I don't know because I haven't heard it, so I would appreciate comments from people in the know here.
Pricing structure in Europe is apparently vastly different than in the US:

US street price, matched pr 8040: $2400USD
US street price, matched pr CMC6MK4: $3300USD
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Better deal to order Schoeps from Europe, shipped to US, for example Funky Junk located in UK.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What I don't understand is why anyone would buy these based on the "lower" price.
Sennheiser is very high tech with outstanding
specs. Schoeps though has a character sound and frequency response which is subjectively more
flattering for classical music, very helpful
considering how bad sounding some concert halls are. It's worth investing in both. For an omni mic, a phantom powered Sonodore may be more perfect sounding and usefull overall with it's various frequency response grids, although it has a slightly more delicate and fragile design. For a main pair, I think Schoeps and Sonodore generally win out over Sennheiser esthetically, while Sennheiser wins out on specs, price and robust design.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu ➑️
Sennheiser is very high tech with outstanding
specs. Schoeps though has a character sound and frequency response which is subjectively more
flattering for classical music, very helpful
considering how bad sounding some concert halls are. It's worth investing in both. For an omni mic, a phantom powered Sonodore may be more perfect sounding and usefull overall with it's various frequency response grids, although it has a slightly more delicate and fragile design. For a main pair, I think Schoeps and Sonodore generally win out over Sennheiser esthetically, while Sennheiser wins out on specs, price and robust design.
The Sennheiser is a totally different design from the others.

It is a symmetrical capsule RF condenser with extremely low distortion and a natural sound.

Being an RF condenser you cannot separate the capsule from the electronics as they are tuned together.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr ➑️
Pricing structure in Europe is apparently vastly different than in the US:

US street price, matched pr 8040: $2400USD
US street price, matched pr CMC6MK4: $3300USD
Actually, the street price of the Sennheisers is considerably lower here (US).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What I don't understand is why anyone would buy these based on the "lower" price.
Hi, since the quote here is in response to my post, I just wanted to clarify. I'm not suggesting that someone buy the Sennheisers for the price. Rather, I was responding to comments by rumley about the price and value of the Sennheiser mic's being offered in the current (and only possible) form.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And I do get a fully modular combo for that money, so I can add capsules to the body.
True, but you can't use those additional capsules at the same time as the others unless you buy more mic amps.

Again, my comments to rumley simply went to the point that he was getting good value in his own purchases in a system that offers a different concept of modularity. And he still has access to a sophisticated modular mounting/positioning system.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,
Bumping this thread, to ask if anybody has got the new 8090s.

I'm thinking to replace my Beyer MC930s, and been thinking 8040s or 8090s. For grand piano, violins, chambers, orchestras, which do you recommend?

Did anybody try 8090 for classical music, and have some samples to share?

Thanks a lot!
Old 15th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➑️
Hi,

I'm thinking to replace my Beyer MC930s, and been thinking 8040s or 8090s. For grand piano, violins, chambers, orchestras, which do you recommend?

Did anybody try 8090 for classical music, and have some samples to share?

Thanks a lot!
For Grand Piano I always use omnis (MKH 20, MKH 8020, Neumann KM 131-D, Gefell M221).

For more general purpose I would use MKH 8040 as an ORTF pair.

If you want to do grand piano and other things without buying too many mics., then I think I would go for the 8090 as the best compromise.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➑️
Hi,
Are they out yet?
πŸ“ Reply