The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OM1 - What's it about?
Old 17th January 2022
  #661
Company Rep
 
jpgerard's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
No, but rejecting adapters or clamps because the threads didn't match was occuring a bit too often. The plastic adapter comes off using normal hand torque no worries!
Old 17th January 2022
  #662
Company Rep
 
jpgerard's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Oh, sorry, you meant the combo insert with BOTH 3/8 & 5/8" threads! Yeah, that one is not offered by K&M. I mixed the CMEH and the basic clamp in my mind... there were no real thread cutting issues with the basic clamp although the 5/8" would sometimes also "stick" a bit, due to tolerances making it difficult to mate with some, also off-standard, 5/8" shafts. But the clamp was mostly mating with most stands without further trouble, true - assuming the 3/8" shaft was long enough, which was apparently not always the case for a secure, firm fit. Or so I've heard from a handful of customers over the years but systematically using cheaper brands of mic stands. Hope this clarifies things.
Old 31st January 2022 | Show parent
  #663
Here for the gear
 
Anyone do a tear down on an OM1?

Hello everyone,

Anybody take any pics of the Line Audio OM1’s internals?

(First post! Please be gentle)
Old 1st February 2022 | Show parent
  #664
Here for the gear
 
OM1 internals

P.S. I searched the forum for various search terms, including: “OM1 internal”, “OM1 internals”, “OM1 picture”, “OM1 pictures”, “OM1 teardown”, “OM1 tear down”, “OM1 inside”, “OM1 insides”, etc.. No real luck with that. Just wanted to let you know I tried searching before posting first.

Barring looking through 23 pages (and counting) within this thread, does anyone want to let me know what’s inside? (Besides a QC’d 10mm capsule?)
Old 1st February 2022 | Show parent
  #665
Gear Nut
 
Wavefront's Avatar
 
I do not own any OM1, but this is the inside of a CM4. One can imagine they are likely similar, although perhaps not.
Attached Thumbnails
OM1 - What's it about?-cm4-inside.jpg   OM1 - What's it about?-cm4-unwrapped.jpg  
Old 1st February 2022
  #666
Company Rep
 
jpgerard's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Not sure how this is useful. Just saying...
Old 1st February 2022 | Show parent
  #667
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard ➡️
Not sure how this is useful. Just saying...
Back when we were all Gearslutz, a popular thread was The Gutz, wherein you posted photos of the guts of your gear. Maybe we have become more refined, but I for one still enjoy poking around the spaces inside the gear...
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
  #668
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
Back when we were all Gearslutz, a popular thread was The Gutz, wherein you posted photos of the guts of your gear. Maybe we have become more refined, but I for one still enjoy poking around the spaces inside the gear...
I think Roger J deserves some type of humanitarian award for 'Kindness to Electronics' ...in providing all that warm soft filling material, to enable his mics to work in comfort during cold winter conditions !
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
  #669
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I think Roger J deserves some type of humanitarian award for 'Kindness to Electronics' ...in providing all that warm soft filling material, to enable his mics to work in comfort during cold winter conditions !
Yep. Just what you need in Sweden (or Canada) in the winter months. And, conversely, I imagine that soft filling would insulate the electronics from the blistering heat in the Outback, like a Bedouin's thawb...
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
  #670
Gear Nut
 
Wavefront's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
And, conversely, I imagine that soft filling would insulate the electronics from the blistering heat in the Outback, like a Bedouin's thawb...
It also seemed to do a good job insulating the electronics from a particularly enthusiastic first violinist, the tip of whose bow grazed the pictured mic (which was hung as a spot) during a string quartet's final and very intentionally dramatic flourish where they decided at the last minute to practically stand up in addition to making the largest possible arm + bow arc.

Although it took a couple of minutes for the pendular motion to die down, the mic offered no complaint after the initial impact and has been working reliably since.
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
  #671
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
I do not own any OM1, but this is the inside of a CM4. One can imagine they are likely similar, although perhaps not.
Thanks for the pic Wavefront!
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
  #672
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
It also seemed to do a good job insulating the electronics from a particularly enthusiastic first violinist, the tip of whose bow grazed the pictured mic (which was hung as a spot) during a string quartet's final and very intentionally dramatic flourish where they decided at the last minute to practically stand up in addition to making the largest possible arm + bow arc.

Although it took a couple of minutes for the pendular motion to die down, the mic offered no complaint after the initial impact and has been working reliably since.
I’m sure the vibrato and tremulando and phase filtering due to the moving mic heightened the drama!
Old 3rd February 2022 | Show parent
  #673
Gear Addict
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagescience ➡️
Hello everyone,

Anybody take any pics of the Line Audio OM1’s internals?

(First post! Please be gentle)
Hello garagescience,
welcome zo the forum! Yes, the OM1 internals look very similar to CM4. FYI: I did a thread a while back, "pictures of sdc pcb's" (I don't know how to link another thread) with internals of OM1 and lots of other SDC's.
Old 3rd February 2022 | Show parent
  #674
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
That would be this link:
SDC PCB pics (Neumann, Schoeps, AKG...)

Regards,
Peter.
Old 3rd February 2022 | Show parent
  #675
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriks ➡️
That would be this link:
SDC PCB pics (Neumann, Schoeps, AKG...)

Regards,
Peter.
The pics in that first post are a bit like looking at preserved human organs in a medical museum or lab !
Old 4th February 2022 | Show parent
  #676
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule ➡️
Hello garagescience,
welcome zo the forum! Yes, the OM1 internals look very similar to CM4. FYI: I did a thread a while back, "pictures of sdc pcb's" (I don't know how to link another thread) with internals of OM1 and lots of other SDC's.
Thanks Dr. Jule!
Old 4th February 2022 | Show parent
  #677
Gear Addict
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
The pics in that first post are a bit like looking at preserved human organs in a medical museum or lab !
Yup. I would go to that museum.
Old 1 week ago
  #678
Here for the gear
 
I have just put in an order for a pair of OM-1's, largely based on the orchestral and piano recordings I've heard in this thread. Thank you, all!

I'm primarily a clarinet player. in 2018 I went to a local studio and recorded a clarinet quintet by San Francisco Bay Area composer, Durwynne Hsieh. Earlier this year I wanted to record the quintet by Bernard Herrmann, and I thought....I spent "X" amount of dollars on the recording studio time (it was very reasonable, to be honest!) maybe this time I'll take that amount of money and apply it to my own microphones and so on.

I picked up a pair of cascade ribbon microphones, and then later on, a pair of sE7 cardiod SDC's. With those, I recorded the first movement of the Herrmann quintet, going from the microphones into a Behringer audio interface and then USB into my Mac. . It was done in my living room, which is not terribly "live" so the recording sounds a bit "dull" but it's nicely accurate. The ribbons treated my clarinet well. I will be recording a chamber orchestra in the Fall, and so started looking for some omnidirectional microphones to do an AB pair with. OK, then...the OM-1's get stellar reviews, this whole thread is one big love-fest for the microphones from a lot of Pro's and dedicated amateurs. For the price, wow....

I'm looking forward to trying them out.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2081 views: 436693
Avatar for pencilextremist
pencilextremist 4th April 2022
replies: 84 views: 52670
Avatar for DaveyJones
DaveyJones 13th February 2022
replies: 68 views: 10091
Avatar for benoïde
benoïde 3rd May 2022
replies: 12 views: 1928
Avatar for Sharp11
Sharp11 14th September 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump