Quantcast
OM1 - What's it about? - Page 22 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OM1 - What's it about?
Old 22nd June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Merci !
There is too much piano, and the violin should be more present, I'll try different mics position.
I'm afraid I don't have any bigger room in my apartment
It's 7.7m x 4.2m, 3,7m height 25x14x12'), but there are few furniture in that room, so it's pretty reverberant.
Maybe moving some bookshelves we have in this room, and then add some basstraps would help ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoloo ➡️
Merci !
There is too much piano, and the violin should be more present, I'll try different mics position.
I'm afraid I don't have any bigger room in my apartment
It's 7.7m x 4.2m, 3,7m height 25x14x12'), but there are few furniture in that room, so it's pretty reverberant.
Maybe moving some bookshelves we have in this room, and then add some basstraps would help ?
With omnis, you wil not avoid the acoustic of small room of your room. The walls are too close.
Then all depends of what you want to do with your recordings. It's allright until you want to make real recordings for broadcast or CDs and because today we have others listening customs for classical music.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks again for the answer.
The only purpose of the recording is to keep a track of the different pieces of music they play.
They are pure amateurs, so no CD on sight
For me, the motivation is to get better at recording

Maybe I'll try to close mic the piano on tail with the omni, and add a pair of cardioids for the violin
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoloo ➡️
Maybe I'll try to close mic the piano on tail with the omni, and add a pair of cardioids for the violin
I love the OM1 on violin and in general daesn't like cardios on violin.
Myself I would close mic de violin with the OM1. They will also capture the basses of the piano. I would add the cards on the piano.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmafyew ➡️
I have found the Line Audio mics to be more sensitive to EMI (not RFI, just AC line harmonics) than other small-diaphragm mics in my collection. It's only noticeable in proximity to strong magnetic fields, so it won't be a problem everywhere. But, take care not to position the mics near HVAC equipment, dimmer circuits, power distribution, or AC power cords with high-current loads on them. The problem is also much more noticeable in older buildings with poor electrical wiring (usually open grounds).

The attached image is a level-matched comparison of the SE8 Omni and the OM1 both inside a large foam block, inside an iso cabinet, recording just the 'silence'. Each was run with the same type/length of Mogami 2534 cable into adjacent channels of a Sytek MPX-4Aii. Both pick up the room's HVAC rumble very accurately, but it's also easy to see the EMI harmonics picked up by the OM1 (this is NOT acoustic noise, this is electrical interference) that are not present in the SE8 omni (and it's easy to hear them, too, listening to the files). This particular room is in a pretty bad EMI environment, in a building next to a commuter rail line that uses 700VAC power and regenerative braking systems.
Try to send this to Roger directly. It looks like issue.
Old 23rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefheart ➡️
Try to send this to Roger directly. It looks like issue.
It can also depend on whether pin 1 inside the xlr connector is attached to the outer shell or not. If it’s not it can be worth soldering a small bridging wire and see if this improves or makes it worse. Also try disconnecting the shield at one end of the xlr cable
Old 24th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
It can also depend on whether pin 1 inside the xlr connector is attached to the outer shell or not. If it’s not it can be worth soldering a small bridging wire and see if this improves or makes it worse. Also try disconnecting the shield at one end of the xlr cable
I've checked them out and they're fine, good continuity between pin 1 and chassis. I have lots of OM1s and CM4s and they all exhibit this behavior, so I doubt it's a defect. The above example is a particularly bad EMI/RFI environment.
Old 9th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Each was run with the same type/length of Mogami 2534 cable into adjacent channels of a Sytek MPX-4Aii. Both pick up the room's HVAC rumble very accurately, but it's also easy to see the EMI harmonics picked up by the OM1 (this is NOT acoustic noise, this is electrical interference) that are not present in the SE8 omni (and it's easy to hear them, too, listening to the files).
Maybe out in the weeds, but every Sytek I've looked at shows increasing power harmonics from channel 1 to channel 4. 1-2 usually pretty close, but a little diff, a lot in channel 4. Factor that in FWIW.
Old 11th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr ➡️
Maybe out in the weeds, but every Sytek I've looked at shows increasing power harmonics from channel 1 to channel 4. 1-2 usually pretty close, but a little diff, a lot in channel 4. Factor that in FWIW.
In which case, the SE8 should show more, since it was on channel 2 while the OM1 was on channel 1. But these harmonics are way, way higher than anything produced by this preamp, which I've tested (all channels) with a 150-ohm dummy load on the inputs.
Old 31st July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

SRS now has a 45cm A-B bar for the OM1:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/JW...ab45-om1-sprue

It requires some user assembly, since the finished product was apparently a little too large for the bed of the 3d printer.
Old 1st August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
SRS now has a 45cm A-B bar for the OM1:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/JW...ab45-om1-sprue

It requires some user assembly, since the finished product was apparently a little too large for the bed of the 3d printer.
That’s great if 45cm is a frequently optimal AB spacing for you…what I’d like to see is an adjustable SRS bar using a pair of sliding cylindrical shaft elements, one for each side (one telescoping inside another), with a locking clamp to hold the extensions in place. 38-68 cms width variability would be sufficient…

Last edited by studer58; 1st August 2021 at 03:49 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
okay - here are a few clips comparing the OM1 to a sennheiser MKH20. this is just one of my wife's flute students, so the playing is a bit iffy. there are 3 sets of clips - one at about 2 feet out from the flute, one at about 4 feet out, and one at about 8 feet out. no EQ, no nothing. I did not change the recording levels between clips (didn't have time to fiddle with stuff). it was interesting watching the meters as she played - the two mics behaved quite differently according to the meters. if I get the chance soon, I will try to get some clips of flute with piano or something a bit more complex. anyway, see what you think.
I had just ordered a pair of Omni1 from Line Audio yesterday after I listened these tracks I think on the 2ft samples, the sound of MKH20 is too beautiful to be a flute, it sounds like a superman plays a ultra heavy 24k gold or platinum flute…please pay attention to the lowest notes on bar5 and bar6 (if counting in 3) and the Omni1 reproduced a more healthy sound of the flute without making up. However, on the 8ft samples the MKH20 showed more details and overtones and the sound of om1 is tighter…
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 ➡️
After listening on computer speakers and headphones, I think the MKH20 is far superior to OM1. The tonal accuracy and detail is much better, I can hear the vibrato, tonal variation and dynamics more clearly. The OM1 seems flat and slightly compressed and a bit diffuse by comparison.
Yes, the sound of mkh20 is beautiful, it almost doesn’t sound like a flute and the sound of om1 is more honest on the 2ft sample to my ears, but she exposed her shortcomings on the 8ft sample
📝 Reply