Quantcast
Would you put up with a client spy? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would you put up with a client spy?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Would you put up with a client spy?

Ok this is a strange one and to be fair I dont know exactly what his intentions are but here goes:

I have a job coming up where the client has informed me that he will have "someone there" to monitor what is being recorded through a headphone feed. He was a bit cagey about it and mentioned something about his job being to check tunings etc. Of course its good to let the client hear whats being recorded as part of the process but I dont think this is what he's talking about. How would you guys feel about this? Personally I dont like it as implies a lack of confidence in my service and will also put me on edge if I feel Im being monitored. The job isnt a huge one and I can afford to let it go. I have to say that Ive never encountered this before. Any opinions?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wouldnt care, personally. All the more reason to make sure your shot group is tight, and that you carry on professionally. Show em what you are made of.thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
Ok this is a strange one and to be fair I dont know exactly what his intentions are but here goes:

I have a job coming up where the client has informed me that he will have "someone there" to monitor what is being recorded through a headphone feed. He was a bit cagey about it and mentioned something about his job being to check tunings etc. Of course its good to let the client hear whats being recorded as part of the process but I dont think this is what he's talking about. How would you guys feel about this? Personally I dont like it as implies a lack of confidence in my service and will also put me on edge if I feel Im being monitored. The job isnt a huge one and I can afford to let it go. I have to say that Ive never encountered this before. Any opinions?
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Say "absolutly you can"! "I'll even set you up with some ns10 or something in a near by room, so you can monitor better"! There is no small job, treat all of them as your big jobs. Some of my smallest ones have turned into alot of bigger ones or more frequent that pay well. One job turns into 5 or ten by the end of the year, and then there is his referals which was a result of that gig. So go over the call of duty for him give him more than asked, hell set him up with a espresso machine! It will pay off!! craig
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I wouldnt care, personally. All the more reason to make sure your shot group is tight, and that you carry on professionally. Show em what you are made of
A good attitude. It does still bother me a bit though, I cant get the analogy of a photographer out of my head i.e. would a portrait photographer let someone look through the view finder? I dont believe so. It probably doesnt pay to be too precious about these things though.

Quote:
There is no small job, treat all of them as your big jobs
For sure, I think that goes without saying. Having said that I do still have the option of simply not taking it. If I do take it then of course it will be done properly, thats surely part of what being professional is.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
pretty much just like having a producer next to you in the control room, no prob.

JazzYoda
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
pretty much just like having a producer next to you in the control room, no prob.
Sure, except am I not the producer?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In classical mobile recording it is quite common to have an external producer to sit in. Usually we do the musical direction ourselves, but sometimes we'll have an ensemble or orchestra that want their own musician/composer/tonmeister to sit in or do the production.

A question of trust or tradition, but if they are new clients - why not ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In classical mobile recording it is quite common to have an external producer to sit in. Usually we do the musical direction ourselves, but sometimes we'll have an ensemble or orchestra that want their own musician/composer/tonmeister to sit in or do the production.

A question of trust or tradition, but if they are new clients - why not ?
Fair play. I just havn't encountered it before. He can provide his own sodding headphones though heh
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
A good attitude. It does still bother me a bit though, I cant get the analogy of a photographer out of my head i.e. would a portrait photographer let someone look through the view finder? I dont believe so. It probably doesnt pay to be too precious about these things though.
Actually, I see that on most photo shoots (and, when I'm the client, I'll look if I have a question). But it's kinda like a photographer shooting with a polaroid back on the Hasselblad (and these days, having a wireless setup on the Nikon so that the pictures show up on a laptop pretty much as they're taken). The last shoot I arranged, I was looking through the viewfinder, the makeup lady was looking through the viewfinder, and the graphic designer was, too - and the photographer had no problems with it.
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are they paying you? If they want to have their lucky gnome sit in on the session also, then so be it. Remember this is a service industry. They're paying you to rent the room and you to engineer. If they want to sit there and watch the faucet drip, so be it, you're being paid to do what you do and they're paying for the room.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I once recorded for a bunch of prominent gang members.

Aside from the 25 or so other people they brought to the session, there were two people whose sole purpose was to watch me like a hawk and make sure I didn't "**** up their boy's ****."

It was one of my first Pro Tools sessions ever since migrating from Nuendo. I had to sneak the Pro Tools manual out into the bathroom to read up on automation functions.

I would've asked my bodyguard "Smash," but I didn't think he'd know...

Yeah...I "put up" with those guys.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Luckily there arent too many of those types in Classical Recording. I doubt those people could spell classical recording..

Not looking forward to those types of people when I go back stateside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
I once recorded for a bunch of prominent gang members.

Aside from the 25 or so other people they brought to the session, there were two people whose sole purpose was to watch me like a hawk and make sure I didn't "**** up their boy's ****."

It was one of my first Pro Tools sessions ever since migrating from Nuendo. I had to sneak the Pro Tools manual out into the bathroom to read up on automation functions.

I would've asked my bodyguard "Smash," but I didn't think he'd know...

Yeah...I "put up" with those guys.
πŸ“ Reply