Quantcast
Would you put up with a client spy? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would you put up with a client spy?
Old 27th May 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
mosrite's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Would you put up with a client spy?

Ok this is a strange one and to be fair I dont know exactly what his intentions are but here goes:

I have a job coming up where the client has informed me that he will have "someone there" to monitor what is being recorded through a headphone feed. He was a bit cagey about it and mentioned something about his job being to check tunings etc. Of course its good to let the client hear whats being recorded as part of the process but I dont think this is what he's talking about. How would you guys feel about this? Personally I dont like it as implies a lack of confidence in my service and will also put me on edge if I feel Im being monitored. The job isnt a huge one and I can afford to let it go. I have to say that Ive never encountered this before. Any opinions?
Old 27th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I wouldnt care, personally. All the more reason to make sure your shot group is tight, and that you carry on professionally. Show em what you are made of.thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
Ok this is a strange one and to be fair I dont know exactly what his intentions are but here goes:

I have a job coming up where the client has informed me that he will have "someone there" to monitor what is being recorded through a headphone feed. He was a bit cagey about it and mentioned something about his job being to check tunings etc. Of course its good to let the client hear whats being recorded as part of the process but I dont think this is what he's talking about. How would you guys feel about this? Personally I dont like it as implies a lack of confidence in my service and will also put me on edge if I feel Im being monitored. The job isnt a huge one and I can afford to let it go. I have to say that Ive never encountered this before. Any opinions?
Old 27th May 2006
  #3
Gear Head
 
cppi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Say "absolutly you can"! "I'll even set you up with some ns10 or something in a near by room, so you can monitor better"! There is no small job, treat all of them as your big jobs. Some of my smallest ones have turned into alot of bigger ones or more frequent that pay well. One job turns into 5 or ten by the end of the year, and then there is his referals which was a result of that gig. So go over the call of duty for him give him more than asked, hell set him up with a espresso machine! It will pay off!! craig
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mosrite's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I wouldnt care, personally. All the more reason to make sure your shot group is tight, and that you carry on professionally. Show em what you are made of
A good attitude. It does still bother me a bit though, I cant get the analogy of a photographer out of my head i.e. would a portrait photographer let someone look through the view finder? I dont believe so. It probably doesnt pay to be too precious about these things though.

Quote:
There is no small job, treat all of them as your big jobs
For sure, I think that goes without saying. Having said that I do still have the option of simply not taking it. If I do take it then of course it will be done properly, thats surely part of what being professional is.
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
JazzYoda's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
pretty much just like having a producer next to you in the control room, no prob.


JazzYoda
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
mosrite's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
pretty much just like having a producer next to you in the control room, no prob.
Sure, except am I not the producer?
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Yannick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
In classical mobile recording it is quite common to have an external producer to sit in. Usually we do the musical direction ourselves, but sometimes we'll have an ensemble or orchestra that want their own musician/composer/tonmeister to sit in or do the production.

A question of trust or tradition, but if they are new clients - why not ?
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mosrite's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
In classical mobile recording it is quite common to have an external producer to sit in. Usually we do the musical direction ourselves, but sometimes we'll have an ensemble or orchestra that want their own musician/composer/tonmeister to sit in or do the production.

A question of trust or tradition, but if they are new clients - why not ?
Fair play. I just havn't encountered it before. He can provide his own sodding headphones though heh
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
  #9
Moderator emeritus
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
A good attitude. It does still bother me a bit though, I cant get the analogy of a photographer out of my head i.e. would a portrait photographer let someone look through the view finder? I dont believe so. It probably doesnt pay to be too precious about these things though.
Actually, I see that on most photo shoots (and, when I'm the client, I'll look if I have a question). But it's kinda like a photographer shooting with a polaroid back on the Hasselblad (and these days, having a wireless setup on the Nikon so that the pictures show up on a laptop pretty much as they're taken). The last shoot I arranged, I was looking through the viewfinder, the makeup lady was looking through the viewfinder, and the graphic designer was, too - and the photographer had no problems with it.
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
XSergeantD's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Are they paying you? If they want to have their lucky gnome sit in on the session also, then so be it. Remember this is a service industry. They're paying you to rent the room and you to engineer. If they want to sit there and watch the faucet drip, so be it, you're being paid to do what you do and they're paying for the room.
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I once recorded for a bunch of prominent gang members.

Aside from the 25 or so other people they brought to the session, there were two people whose sole purpose was to watch me like a hawk and make sure I didn't "**** up their boy's ****."

It was one of my first Pro Tools sessions ever since migrating from Nuendo. I had to sneak the Pro Tools manual out into the bathroom to read up on automation functions.

I would've asked my bodyguard "Smash," but I didn't think he'd know...

Yeah...I "put up" with those guys.
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Luckily there arent too many of those types in Classical Recording. I doubt those people could spell classical recording..

Not looking forward to those types of people when I go back stateside.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
I once recorded for a bunch of prominent gang members.

Aside from the 25 or so other people they brought to the session, there were two people whose sole purpose was to watch me like a hawk and make sure I didn't "**** up their boy's ****."

It was one of my first Pro Tools sessions ever since migrating from Nuendo. I had to sneak the Pro Tools manual out into the bathroom to read up on automation functions.

I would've asked my bodyguard "Smash," but I didn't think he'd know...

Yeah...I "put up" with those guys.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 72 views: 116177
Avatar for Nightshifter
Nightshifter 27th October 2015
replies: 55 views: 30531
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 577 views: 33030
Avatar for kdm
kdm 1st July 2009
replies: 1296 views: 178355
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump