Quantcast
Interview mics: M88 vs MD46 vs SM63. Which one? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interview mics: M88 vs MD46 vs SM63. Which one?
Old 25th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcl ➑️
... (unless using the microphone to -interview- a hostile party)! --allan
In which case, the preferred mic is the old 4037A -

The STC 4037

A broadcasting colleague told me the story of covering a demo, holding one of these high in the air to record atmos - looked down and saw a guardian of the law cowering at his feet begging not to be hit with this powerful weapon.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Along the lines of the 635a and RE-50, EV also made a pair of microphones, the DO-56 and DO-56L. These were slim profile like a 635a but also had a vibration resistant casing. the 56L had a long handle. They pop up on ebay every so often and sound good.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Beyer M-58. It too has a long handle but has a nice frequency balance to it and an omni pattern.

I've used all 4 at one time or another and like them. Slight edge to the Beyer perhaps.

I'd love to get my hands on the Sennheiser 42 and 46 though.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have technique the MD441 makes a silk purse out of any pigs ear
However most presenters today have no clue and pigs ears would plentious
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➑️
If you have technique the MD441 makes a silk purse out of any pigs ear
However most presenters today have no clue and pigs ears would plentious
You can say that again - I have seen very few interviewers on the TV that have good technique and know how to use a microphone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@Rolo46
Unfortunately, Sennheiser declared when they re-engineered (lower-cost) their MD range that they could do so with the MD421 but not the MD441, without "changing the sound". So the latter remains expensive. I would not consider it for hand-held work (except possibly in my hands!) but it is a great brass mic.

@EV676
I remembered those EV mics - the 'L' version was advertised as giving you a "reach" advantage in the press scrum (or greater leverage as a defensive weapon - see my previous post). Didn't one version have an amplifier in the base to output at 'line' level?
Old 3rd May 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 ➑️
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Beyer M-58. It too has a long handle but has a nice frequency balance to it and an omni pattern.
Man, you got that right!
I just got a Beyer M58 today and it's the most flattering mic for my voice so far! Really impressed!

Once I get my collection ready, I'll post some sound samples.
But so far, the M58 is coming on top, definitely! Maybe closely followed by the smooth (although not so bassy) Shure SM63L.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I suggested M58 in post 3
A voice in the wilderness...
Old 4th May 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➑️
I suggested M58 in post 3
A voice in the wilderness...
Yes, you did.
Sorry about that!
Kudos to you too! :-)

(I'm really enjoying that mic, by the way)
Old 15th June 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi!

Please allow me to revive this thread to inform anyone interested that I created a website called The Microphone Spa.

I created a new general thread which can be found here:

The Microphone Spa

I will update that thread every time my collection gets a new member.

Thanks for your time! Enjoy!

Andre' Toscano
Old 18th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope ➑️
The famous frog (it looked like one sitting on the supplied desk stand)! Rugged, sat nicely in the hand, except for the little wedge for the stand clamp. Still have mine (for about the same time as the 635a) and I get it out from time to time to compare on new portables, but the 635a response still makes it preferred. But the MD21 is now a much neglected gem.

Rugged. It was ubiquitous for hand held vocals especially on TV. Survived dunking in the fish pond at one venue. The optional basket windscreen was very effective.
My favorite vocal mic, but it'll work on pretty much everything. I bought it used for 50 euros.
Old 10th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
In my radio days my interview mic of choice was the Sennheiser MD421, which I used all the time.

The 421 is OK in the studio but not really suitable in the field. Also I thought the original 421 lacked sizzle in the top end.

Last edited by djh76; 10th August 2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I usually use a EV RE20
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh76 ➑️
The 421 is OK in the studio but not really suitable in the field. Also I thought the original 421 lacked sizzle in the top end.
Well - I used my 421 in the field exclusively and never had any trouble with it for radio interviews.

This was in the 1970's when the broadcasting standards were a lot tighter than they are now.
Old 13th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
Well - I used my 421 in the field exclusively and never had any trouble with it for radio interviews.

This was in the 1970's when the broadcasting standards were a lot tighter than they are now.
Yes, I'd agree that it would deliver good results from a technical and sonic viewpoint, but I feel it is a bit cumbersome as a hand held interview mic.
Old 13th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I actually like the Shure SM63. Top mic on the stand. I also like it for recording certain singers.
Attached Thumbnails
Interview mics: M88 vs MD46 vs SM63. Which one?-159969357_10225855047429358_8896912125656641181_o.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Accardi ➑️
I actually like the Shure SM63. Top mic on the stand. I also like it for recording certain singers.
Which shockmount is this on the SDC?
πŸ“ Reply