The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps MK2S or DPA4006TL samples
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Schoeps MK2S / DPA4006TL samples

This is from a rehearsal of a local community orchestra. Since I did not have to play the horn, I was able to do a proper comparison. The preamps are Millennia HV3B (quad) into a FF800/MBP/Pyramix Native. Sample one uses the Free Field grid and the second has the close mic grid, which came highly recommended and now comes with the 4006TL. Please give opinions because I need to choose a pair!
Attached Files

DPA-FF-1A.mp3 (1.56 MB, 568 views)

MK2S-1A.mp3 (1.56 MB, 502 views)

DPA-CM-1B.mp3 (755.4 KB, 438 views)

MK2S-1B.mp3 (758.5 KB, 433 views)

Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Both DPA samples have something very sharp, that scratches in my ears. Especially the DF version. I much prefer the more euphonic tone of the Schoeps sample.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
+1 ... DPAs sound quite shrill ... Even though MK2S have already emphasized highs, they sound much more pleasant and euphonic in these samples ...
Old 12th April 2012
dtf
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi,

I find this a bad comparison. All excerpts sound like the microphones were too far away to make a decent comparison.

The Schoeps MK 2S sound much duller here than usually.

Obviously, the black grids of the DPA have a strong high frequency emphasis. They are known for this quality. I, personally, never use them, but have colleagues that recorded successfully and produced good results.

Both the Schoeps and the DPA are fantastic mics. I would not be surprised if you position them a few 10 cm's further or nearer due to their characteristics.

Best,
Dirk
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Agreed, better positioning and simultaneous tracks.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Everyone should remember, those black grids are really bright compared to the standard grids. I mean surprisingly so. I do not have any idea what I would like to use them on except for some particularly dark instrument or stuff way in the diffuse field.

The problem that I hear with 2S capsules is that the rise happens too much in the midrange band, right where strings can sound "pinched", rather than the "air" band where they might be described as being "open".
Cameron
Old 13th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf ➑️
Hi,

I find this a bad comparison. All excerpts sound like the microphones were too far away to make a decent comparison.
Yes, I found it difficult listening after as well. So I did another test last night on a community orchestra (I didn't have to play). The detail of the DPA is pretty amazing IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
Agreed, better positioning and simultaneous tracks.
Done!
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
These new examples enable a better comparison. The first you posted were not useful at all and also sounded worse or that's how I remember them.

Regarding the new audio clips: my first impression was that Schoeps clips are louder and sound "creamier" or maybe that's the effect of more pronounced lower midrange? My impression wandered between "too boomy", beefed up midrange and "warmer, more euphonic..."

The DPAs here sound more plain and thin, but I guess they convey the truth of that room and the players more faithfully.
I would go with Schoeps for that not so good orchestra.

Otherwise I think with some more placement experimentation and using the regular silver grid (not the trapezoid close recording one) AND better players I would prefer DPA.
The new 4006A come with all three grids, only the nose cone is optional. I think I would rarely use the black one, maybe in really really dark rooms, the silver one is standard and the close one is really smooth, but can maybe get too "dark" at the distance. Caveat - I only tested those mics for a couple of days, but those were my impressions from that short period.
In those clips of yours I liked Schoeps more. (edit: because they make that orchestra sound like a better orchestra than they are and DPA just tell the very detailed truth and nothing but the truth )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener ➑️
The DPAs here sound more plain and thin, but I guess they convey the truth of that room and the players more faithfully.
I would go with Schoeps for that not so good orchestra.

The new 4006A come with all three grids, only the nose cone is optional.
I am impressed with the detail, however undesired with this particular ensemble. What also impresses me is the flexibility of the 3 grids. The Close mic sounding the closest to the MK2S.
I also experiemented with a Pacifica mic pre that seemed to help the "thin" sound. I'll be posting samples of HV3B/Pacifica and 4006A soon.
Yes, I agree that the Schoeps are more forgiving in both performance and placement!
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For me the question is how much resolution do I need? In the past my 4003s supplied that in spades--- but now I get that AND more refinement with Sennheiser 800 twins. And if anyone is interested in 4003s & HMA4000 PS check the classifieds.

Rich
Old 16th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonare ➑️
For me the question is how much resolution do I need? In the past my 4003s supplied that in spades--- but now I get that AND more refinement with Sennheiser 800 twins. And if anyone is interested in 4003s & HMA4000 PS check the classifieds.

Rich
I thought the CM (trapezoidal) grid backed off the hyper resolution a bit and made it closer to the MK2S. The 800 twin is just way out of budget at the moment.
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
All true-- I have something that needs funding more than I need the 4003s
Old 16th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S ➑️
I also experiemented with a Pacifica mic pre that seemed to help the "thin" sound. I'll be posting samples of HV3B/Pacifica and 4006A soon.
Try Forssell SMP-2, you may be quite surprised
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
DPA - More impact, dynamic and fast transients.

SCHOPS - More "compressed" and blur, less focus but sweet and musical sound.
πŸ“ Reply