Quantcast
recording a live session? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recording a live session?
Old 23rd May 2006
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Question recording a live session?

hello,


I would like to know what is the best solution (live or one by one) for record a rock and roll stooner band as:
Kyuss, Clutch, Queen of the stone age, Cowboys and Aliens

because we want to keep the power (keep the groove ) in the band, and I think live situation (with click in the ear of each people) in a big room it's better than :

first: drums
second: bass
third:guitar
last:voice

what do you think about it?


sorry for my bad english...
thanks!
Old 23rd May 2006
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
IMO, the best solution for keeping the groove is live. One unit instead of individual pieces is a great way to keep the band sounding as one.

I would only give the drummer the click and let the rest of the band follow the drummer especially if you want them to groove.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I agree with Steve. Only the drummer gets the click, and everybody else grooves with him. Track the whole thing together, and replace any sections you need to later one-by-one with the producer.

Biggest problem I've experienced working this was was when the bass was not PERFECTLY in sync with the kick but needed to be. I sidechained a gate from the kick output to the bass gate input so the attack was right on.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
  #4
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
...Biggest problem I've experienced working this was was when the bass was not PERFECTLY in sync with the kick but needed to be. I sidechained a gate from the kick output to the bass gate input so the attack was right on.
Man, that's real old school. We ere doing that in the 70s... Very cool my man!

This technique really does help keep the bass and foot pumping together. Of course, it doesn't do much for bad note but it really helps the groove.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


Live dangerously....

Don't give the drummer a click.

If you need to overdub later, you can still use the old punch-in method.

Click tracks can really kill an evolving groove.....



-tINY

Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
  #6
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY


Live dangerously....

Don't give the drummer a click.

If you need to overdub later, you can still use the old punch-in method.

Click tracks can really kill an evolving groove.....



-tINY


Very true but, some drummers know how to make the click work...

They can groove forward and back within the click tempo.
There are three places a drummer can be -- Ahead of the downbeat; On the downbeat; After the downbeat.
Some drummer do it on purpose.
Some don't even know what the difference is.
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


But a lot of the Greatful Dead still Alive type bands will change the tempo as a jam progresses. A click track is wrong for this kind of group.

Actually, I really don't like listening to the radio when every song has precisely the same tempo from begining to end. Yeah, it makes it easier to groove tracks and do post production and add midi stuff, but a lot of songs just sound better with the tempo a little faster on the chorus and laid back on the bridge.




-tINY

Old 24th May 2006
  #8
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
I'am agrree with "it makes it easier to groove tracks and do post production and add midi stuff, but a lot of songs just sound better with the tempo a little faster on the chorus and laid back on the bridge"


I think a band as: "at the drive in" or "the hives" have more groove in live situation
!
but for this recording, the musicians have to play very good! without mistake!

so for the kick and the bass, I have to use a gate with sidechain?
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
shangoe's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
I agree with Steve. Only the drummer gets the click, and everybody else grooves with him. Track the whole thing together, and replace any sections you need to later one-by-one with the producer.

Biggest problem I've experienced working this was was when the bass was not PERFECTLY in sync with the kick but needed to be. I sidechained a gate from the kick output to the bass gate input so the attack was right on.

interesting...is this during tracking or mixing??
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Nut
 
jenkel16's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shangoe
interesting...is this during tracking or mixing??
Could be either really. I would say mixing since you're obviously not dealing with consistent musicians and if this goes wrong you've gated part of you bass out of existence.
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
  #11
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilepoile
I'am agrree with "it makes it easier to groove tracks and do post production and add midi stuff, but a lot of songs just sound better with the tempo a little faster on the chorus and laid back on the bridge"


I think a band as: "at the drive in" or "the hives" have more groove in live situation
!
but for this recording, the musicians have to play very good! without mistake!

so for the kick and the bass, I have to use a gate with sidechain?
I knew this drummer that was amazing when it came to playing against a click. He could be right on the beat in the verse, rush the chorus and be back on the beat in the next verse. When you listen to him and the click soloed you hear him going ahead and behind the beat but, the song grooved like it should. He was an awesome drummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangoe
interesting...is this during tracking or mixing??
I believe JvB was talking about doing this trick during the mix. I have only done it during the mix session when it was applicable. Never felt the need to do this during the tracking session becasue I want to hear it like it was recorded.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump