The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rudy Van Gelder and secrecy
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker ➡️
This assumption that recording sessions in days past were like ones today, where random label people & photographers would just show up and hang around, is just not accurate. Professional photographers were paid well, and hired/scheduled well in advance. Often photo shoots were like video shoots today - pretend sessions for the cameras, not an interruption of actual recording. They might take place before or after sessions, or on completely separate days. But, especially in one-studio operations like Rudy's, there would rarely be any extra people allowed when serious recording was meant to be taking place. This was well before the era of rock stars treating sessions like parties that the producer & engineer had to tolerate.
And it's been noted in many places that Rudy preferred a dim/dark studio, which would not have yielded candid photos that are so bright while also having depth of field and lack of motion blur.
There are stories of Alfred getting upset that Francis was "clicking on the tape" (paraphrasing), but I agree with you, I would guess that most of the amazing photos Wolff took were between takes (in many photos it's clear the musicians are listening to playback after a take) or perhaps at the beginning or end of the session.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
What year did this 'dummy mic' session take place?
In the 1990s, but I don't recall the date, and I wouldn't reveal the session either because that was my agreement with Rudy. BTW Rudy was trilled that the mic cables he put up were only plugged into the mics and not the board!
📝 Reply