The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KM100 series and suggestions.
Old 31st December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Neumann KM100 series and suggestions.

Dear friends,
I would want to acquire two KM143 (wide card) and more KM140. I have found many KM140 for sale, bought in 1991. This mics have the same electronics of KM100 sold today in 2011 ? (2012)

I want buy KM143 new (KM100 + AK43) and thik to purchase some KM141 used. A mic of 1991 is a risk ? It must be checked in a Neumann laboratory ? Capsules are not matched, some body (KM100) has consequentials numbers. I can use new KM143 near an 1991's KM143 or this mic have different electronic ? For a matching pair body is important or I can checked only the capsules ?

This important for me, this mic are my firset important Neumann purchase, for my professional activity. I love 143 but the idea of buy some KM141 at half price is very intersting for me, for extendend my microphones collections.

Happy new year !
Old 4th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACOMO-_ ➡️
Dear friends,
I would want to acquire two KM143 (wide card) and more KM140. I have found many KM140 for sale, bought in 1991. This mics have the same electronics of KM100 sold today in 2011 ? (2012)

I want buy KM143 new (KM100 + AK43) and thik to purchase some KM141 used. A mic of 1991 is a risk ? It must be checked in a Neumann laboratory ? Capsules are not matched, some body (KM100) has consequentials numbers. I can use new KM143 near an 1991's KM143 or this mic have different electronic ? For a matching pair body is important or I can checked only the capsules ?

This important for me, this mic are my firset important Neumann purchase, for my professional activity. I love 143 but the idea of buy some KM141 at half price is very intersting for me, for extendend my microphones collections.

Happy new year !

Hi Giacomo,

I have been using KM 100 series mics from 1990-1991 mixed with newer KM 100 series mics from 2000 and 2003. I know this isn't the 20 year displacement you are considering; however, I have not had any issues with using these microphones together. Total, I have approximately 10 in omni (km130) and cardioid (km140) pattern.

When I assumed my current position, several of these mics were in poor condition (damaged diaphragms, loose connectors, dented bodies, etc...). I sent them to Neumann and they were able to evaluate and fix things where possible. Several capsules were replaced (with new ones) on the almost 10 year old bodies.

As for your concerns about usability of older mics, if they have been properly cared for they should work well for years without issue. I know at least two of my initial-lot had nothing done to them and are in use almost daily!

Regarding matching...Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Up until a few years ago, Neumann DID NOT sell mics in matched pairs NOR offer matching services. I tried ordering sequential serial numbers, which was difficult depending on where you were buying from (you MIGHT get them closely numbered but NOT sequential). The official response I got directly from Neumann was "our product is SO consistently/accurately made that we feel we don't need to offer matching-services". Of course this has changed over the past several years. I say all of this to say...I have NOT had any issues with non-conformity of sound in stereo pairs (ortf/xy/nos/ab/decca tree/etc...). All work well with each other. Neumann DOES make a fine product...both nice sounding and well-crafted.

If you have a chance to make a significant purchase of used mics...make sure they work...and if you need more peace of mind...send them to Neumann for farther evaluation.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 4th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhopson ➡️
Hi Giacomo,

I have been using KM 100 series mics from 1990-1991 mixed with newer KM 100 series mics from 2000 and 2003. I know this isn't the 20 year displacement you are considering; however, I have not had any issues with using these microphones together. Total, I have approximately 10 in omni (km130) and cardioid (km140) pattern.

When I assumed my current position, several of these mics were in poor condition (damaged diaphragms, loose connectors, dented bodies, etc...). I sent them to Neumann and they were able to evaluate and fix things where possible. Several capsules were replaced (with new ones) on the almost 10 year old bodies.

As for your concerns about usability of older mics, if they have been properly cared for they should work well for years without issue. I know at least two of my initial-lot had nothing done to them and are in use almost daily!

Regarding matching...Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Up until a few years ago, Neumann DID NOT sell mics in matched pairs NOR offer matching services. I tried ordering sequential serial numbers, which was difficult depending on where you were buying from (you MIGHT get them closely numbered but NOT sequential). The official response I got directly from Neumann was "our product is SO consistently/accurately made that we feel we don't need to offer matching-services". Of course this has changed over the past several years. I say all of this to say...I have NOT had any issues with non-conformity of sound in stereo pairs (ortf/xy/nos/ab/decca tree/etc...). All work well with each other. Neumann DOES make a fine product...both nice sounding and well-crafted.

If you have a chance to make a significant purchase of used mics...make sure they work...and if you need more peace of mind...send them to Neumann for farther evaluation.

Thank you so much for yuor answers, I will sending an email to Neumann.

Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Neumann was making matched pairs in the 1990s, I have a matched stereo set of KM140 with the extension cables and hanger.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Neumann KM100 series are great mics. One of the things that you'll hear with them compared to Schoeps, for example, is that the Neumann has more reach in to the orchestra / ensemble.

So, for a given distance away from the playas, the Neumann makes the playas seem closer to the mic than other systems. Also the KM100 system has the typical sparkle-y Neumann sound.

It is a very good system.
Old 5th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️

So, for a given distance away from the playas,
a visual just popped into my head, an orchestra will the members in hip hop gear, big puffy jackets and gold chains.
Old 5th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Neumann KM100 series are great mics. One of the things that you'll hear with them compared to Schoeps, for example, is that the Neumann has more reach in to the orchestra / ensemble.

So, for a given distance away from the playas, the Neumann makes the playas seem closer to the mic than other systems. Also the KM100 system has the typical sparkle-y Neumann sound.

It is a very good system.
Yes, KM100 is the classical German Neumann sound, full, sweet with body. For piano are fantastic.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find the KM130/131 and KM120 in particular have a beautiful low mid sweetness and richness (silly words, I know) that the Schoeps and DPA's don't have. They (KM100) sometimes work much better than the other standards in great, clean but slightly cold acoustics.
Old 5th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I absolutely love my KM 130 mics. I 'think' I'm going to finally get to start recording my large ensemble commercial projects with these mics this year. I work with a director who fell in love with a technique/sound I produced with Earthwork QTC1s...and haven't been allowed to change. However...

Our hall was remodeled about three years ago. It was made to look pretty - not sound better (gotta love higher ed...). So now, the Earthworks seem to really show their noise and are also really fussy about placement. The KM 130s are so much more smooth and quiet in this space, as well as a bit easier to place. (Don't get me wrong...I like the QTC1 and have used it lovingly for over a decade!)

Now if I could just get my lost ambient ring back...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhopson ➡️
Hi Giacomo,

Hi, just to correct you a bit, matching has nothing to do with serial numbers. It has to do with frequency response. Matched capsules can have very different serial numbers, but almost exactly the same frequency plot. I have a KM set with matching cardioid and hyper capsules purchased in 1998. They were special order and I had to wait while they found matching capsules. They remain a staple in my kit for ensemble work and double booming of dialogue.
📝 Reply