The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode NT4 question.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rode NT4 question.

Hey all, I just bought a used Rode NT4 which arrived today. I have been checking it out, and while it works, it seems to have a very low output from it. Much lower than what I would expect, almost as if there is a pad on it. I have to crank my preamps up 100%- such as they are- before the Rode makes any kind of sound there. By comparison I've double checked with some other microphones of mine.

I've only used phantom power on it so far, not powered it with a 9 volt yet. I don't really think that should make any difference, though.

I have the Rode five pin to dual XLR cable that came with it, no pad or anything on it that I can see. I have a hard time seeing how it would work and yet have no output. I feel I must be missing something here. The manual doesn't tell me anything.

Any thoughts?
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I would "dummy-error" check first. Make sure the ON/OFF switch is set to ON, make sure there are no pads on the preamps, and make sure the signal chain is working properly. It is probably something simple.

Rodes are usually very "hot" microphones so you should not have a problem.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, look inside the XLR5 for evidence of a pad. According to this website, Rode added a -12dB pad to later models. Someone else could've modified it, too. Agree, it's normally a pretty high output.

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www...eMod-index.htm
Old 27th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, sure enough, when I put the 9v battery in, everything works fine. I think my interface doesn't do phantom power well enough, or something. I am using it in powered by Firewire mode, maybe that's a mistake.

Oh well, it's working fine. Now I can leave good feedback and get to knowing the microphone.

Thanks for the help!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
Also, look inside the XLR5 for evidence of a pad. According to this website, Rode added a -12dB pad to later models. Someone else could've modified it, too. Agree, it's normally a pretty high output.

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www...eMod-index.htm
It would seem the pad is only added to the XLR-r to 1/8" adapter cable, and perhaps not to the XLR-5 to regular 2x XLR cable ? My guess is so the NT4 output doesn't overload movie camera inputs, or minidisc recorders ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I meant to write "It would seem the pad is only added to the XLR-5 to 1/8"...."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
I meant to write "It would seem the pad is only added to the XLR-5 to 1/8"...."
It's been years back that I first heard about that pad and, as I recall, I think it was (like you say) only added to the cable with the 1/8" plug. And not all of those cables have the pad. I happen to have an NT4 with a Rode XLR-5 to 1/8 and mine does not have the pad. I think they started adding the pad after I bought mine. Don't know if they still are putting that pad in there or not.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MMmm, you guys are right....never mind...
Old 28th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's a nice microphone. I think it'll do well for what I am going to use it for.

But, I bought it used... I didn't get the box or the 1/8" jacks either, so I have no idea if there is a pad on that or not. There isn't on the XLR splitter.

Still, I guess I'll be needing to use the battery. My interface sucks.
Old 28th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal ➑️
I didn't get the box or the 1/8" jacks either
You can order a cable that runs from the NT4 to a 1/8" stereo plug. Doesn't have to be from Rode. Other companies make them. Trew Audio has good service and can make you that cable in whatever length you would like. Just give the friendly folks there a call. Reasonable prices and quality components there.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
An old thread but for anyone else who comes across it in search of answers, the answer is very simple. You have to engage the battery switch on top of the mic for the 48v phantom power to work
πŸ“ Reply