Quantcast
Milab VIP-50: General usage and opinions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Milab VIP-50: General usage and opinions
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking Milab VIP-50: General usage and opinions

I recently acquired a Milab VIP-50 and have only had few brief moments to test it out. So far I've only used it on acoustic guitar, and with the 200hz roll off engaged, it had great presence and detail.

Anyways, there's not much discussion on this mic (or any of the Milab mics for that matter), but I'm wondering if anyone else uses this mic. If so, what do you use it for? It seems to be a very useful mic with the variable patterns, rolloffs, and pads, and unique in the sense that it has a rectangular capsule.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has personal experience with this mic.

Cheers

thumbsup
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like it a lot as a detail mic for a dull-sounding or boomy electric guitar amp. I've also had good experiences using it on kick drum.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had one for 16 years. I got it when I wasn't very experienced, as my first serious mic. At the time there was a bit of hype about Michael Jacskon using it, I think on the Dangerous album. Depending on your perspective, that's a decent endorsement for the inexperienced!

It was my main mic for many years, though in that time it never got paired up with a mic pre that would allow it to shine, so it was always a basic Mackie pre which, as we know, sounds serviceable but nothing that makes you take too much notice.

Recently I've pulled it out again in some vocal shootouts with some other mics and found (obviously) that it performs much better with some decent pres. Some of the valve/tube mics in the testing were more forward and "big" sounding but in a recent test, the VIP-50 came second to the Neumann U89 that the singer found easiest to sing with.

I was surprised recently to see that they're still a current item and they still command a decent price.
Old 14th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it was Quincy Jones' vocal mic for a spell...including some of the stuff on The Dude....a truly great sounding record
Gear Guru

Remoteness has a bunch of these and the DC96's . He loves them, the times I used them I liked them. But Steve is the man with these.
Gear Guru
A great mic. The familiar square metal diaphram casule. It uses an EQ network to lift the tops flat as the capsule has a high end roll-off. The quality of that network is critical for top end clarity and detail. It's a op-amp based circuit, using fet input opamps. I've replaced them with BurrBrown, AD opamps with great results. The coupling caps can be replaced and improved.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 15th March 2006 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I happen to own six VIP50s and four DC96Bs which is the Cardioid only, no frills version of the VIP50.

I like them a lot for large choir and chorus groups, solo vocals. I have also used my DC96Bs on acoustic piano for a jazz date with great success.

Milab just came out with a new microphone. It's based on their DC96B called the DC196. The capsule is redesigned and the electronics have been improved. It still has their unique rectangular large dual membrane capsule. The DC196 does have a (three position) variable pattern; Omni, Cardioid and Figure-eight. The mic can handle SPLs more than 144dB with the pad in.

I'm emailing Milab tomorrow about getting a couple of these babies. I really cannot wait to check them out.

Oh, one more thing... The DC196's body is painted snow white.

Last edited by Remoteness; 15th March 2006 at 03:55 AM..
Gear Guru
Some more Milab info;

The VIP 50 is opamp based, transformerless outputs. The case is cast aluminum to dampen resonances, it works OK, but it still has a ring.

The DC63/DC96 have a 2N3819 fet into a transformer output, not too unlike Neumann. The small diaphram DC41 pencil mike has similar electronics.

The VIP 50 is more transparent, the DC 96 is more silky. Got my DC96 new in 1983 for $300, it was the best mike I could buy for the money then. Highly underated, don't spread the news or the prices will go up!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, there's some great info in this thread - much more than I anticipated. Thanks one and all. I love this forum.

Jim, you have PM regarding the VIP-50 mod.

thumbsup
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
It uses an EQ network to lift the tops flat as the capsule has a high end roll-off.

i used to own one of these, and i always thought it was really dark. maybe something was fubar in that circuit?

then again, it might have had something to do with the fact that i was using a 1960 as my preamp...

gregoire
del ubik
Old 21st March 2007 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Well, I got a chance to use the new Milab DC196 on congas and I was very happy with the results...

Here's a thread about the show we recorded at the Blue Note with Conrad Herwig et al.

Once Gary finishes his posts, I plan to talk about our mic placements, techniques and such.
Old 14th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting!!

Happen to have a Vip-50 that I, like Mikey MTC, bought at that time. Haven't used it for quite some time now... Maybe It's time to give it some heat!!

Also have a matched pair if Vm-44's, like them alot on some sources!!

Best,

Jamzone
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

to resurrect a thread or to create a redundant one

I'm intrigued by the Milab VIP50, any of your guys have sound samples, shootouts or ideally comparison files with another more known mic on vocals?

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxoloxo ➑️
I'm intrigued by the Milab VIP50, any of your guys have sound samples, shootouts or ideally comparison files with another more known mic on vocals?
Hey Oxoloxo,

There are a couple of videos from the Out of Oz series where they use the VIP-50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0pXUb5jVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8A4YD6FKQ

Gino (and Joe) Vannelli have used the VIP-50 on a number of albums. Here for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXo5eUK90

Another good example is "It was a very good year" by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson - both using the VIP-50 on that track.

I should tell you that we are only weeks away from presenting the successor, the VIP-60. More info coming very soon.

/Mattias
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
It's a brilliant vocal microphone. I've been using them on vocals, and group vocals, choruses, and choirs for decades with excellent results.

They also sound great on anything you put them on. This also goes for the DC96B, and DC196 microphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_Milab ➑️
Hey Oxoloxo,

There are a couple of videos from the Out of Oz series where they use the VIP-50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0pXUb5jVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8A4YD6FKQ

Gino (and Joe) Vannelli have used the VIP-50 on a number of albums. Here for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXo5eUK90

Another good example is "It was a very good year" by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson - both using the VIP-50 on that track.

I should tell you that we are only weeks away from presenting the successor, the VIP-60. More info coming very soon.

/Mattias
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxoloxo ➑️

Jack Vad, the AE for the San Francisco Orchestra has a set of 4 modified VIP 50's. They are fitted with a special very low noise rf fet and OPA1642 opamps. The entire switch assembly/pattern selector circuit was redone with all Dale CMF 50 resistors with a much lower impedance to remove resistor thermal noise. The top lift circuit on the back end was redone and impedance lowered. It used Wima FKP-MKP caps, those fit. Phantom blocking caps are Panasonic FR with MIT PPMFX bypass caps.

Jack loves them because of little body resonance nor reflections. They were reserved for spot mics until the mods. Now they are used as distance mics because the noise floor is so low.

Check out recordings/releases from the SF orchestra, you will hear them.
πŸ“ Reply