The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser MKH40 a little on the dark side?
Old 24th August 2013

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you see Mkh50 or mkh30 for 600eur please let me know... I haven't seen them go below 1k used... per piece, not pair...

Sent from my GT-S5830i
Old 24th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
OP : off course it is a little bit on the dark side, when comparing with other mics which are a. probably less neutral (or which have a very pronounced HF lift, or color) b. exhibiting probably less proximity effect c. will maybe have more distortion (which is probably not an issue at the levels of coustic guitar)

Also, the very neutral off-axis response can take one by surprise, as the room may suddenly sound different from what you are used to.

The OP is comparing to a large diaphragm Blue Cactus : forward mids, forward HF compared to neutral and more bass rolloff (to compensate for the typical close placement this mic will get), AND a non-uniform polar response.

It seems logical to me the MKH40 will be placed in a completely different spot than the cactus !

I would try a slight bass rolloff when you need to go in really close, the MKH series can sound a bit tubby due to proximity effect.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
Thomann is a great shop, but not the right place to buy Sennheiser, Neumann or Schoeps if you want a competitive price. Actually, most German shops are not sharp with these brands. They seem to be under close proximity of the thumbs of these companies.
Thomann was already quoting the Benchmarkmedia DAC2 for 2395 incl VAT, when I bought it for 1996.50 incl VAT from a local dealer.

You have to shop the right (mainstream) things at Thomann, specialized stuff can easily cost 20% more than a small dealer (that was a non-negotiated price I paid).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
Well, the price I pay for a brand new pair of MKH40's from a dealer I have dealt with for years is 1725 euros. Full warranty for two years, boxes, shock mounts, wind caps, individual frequency charts, whatnot? I wouldn't risk a bad dog from the bay for that.
I suppose it depends on what value you place on having the peace of mind a warranty confers. I expect everyone is different in that regard. I've bought a lot of used mics, some off eBay, and have actually never had a problem. These include some reasonably expensive mics. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but that's been my experience. A single data point. YMMV.
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sorry for bringing this up...
I have a same feeling about my MKH40 as well. It's not bright on top end and I think it might be because of its age.
Is there a service manual to instruct the cleaning process?
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No send it to Sennheiser
However they dont suffer dirty diaphrams because of the RF across the transducer does not attract dust.
What are you comparing it with?
Many other mics have enhanced top and bottom (especially chinese clones)
The MKH 40 is accurate, and has a LFA switch for close work to avoid proximity effect
Old 9th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areft ➡️
Sorry for bringing this up...
I have a same feeling about my MKH40 as well. It's not bright on top end and I think it might be because of its age.
Is there a service manual to instruct the cleaning process?
I agree with RoLo.

The MKH 40 has a ruler flat response with an accurate top end that is not hyped like most other mics.

As the MKH are RF condensers that use the low impedance capsule as a tuning capacitor in an RF circuit, they do not attract dust and contaminants to the diaphragm lige normal condensers with high impedance capsules do.
Old 10th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener ➡️
If you see Mkh50 or mkh30 for 600eur please let me know... I haven't seen them go below 1k used... per piece, not pair...
Watch german e-bay, they pop up time to time.
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I agree that these mics are not dark—it's simply that in relation to others, like a KM184 or even CMC64, there is less emphasis in the top end. When I use the MKH 40 with a DAV pre for a while I am very pleased with the neutral quality in the upper end. I have two of them, and they sound identical—both have a pleasingly flat response to my ear.

I was thinking though, did the OP say which preamps he/she is using? Maybe the preamp is the 'darkener'...
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your responds.
I just hear the instrument brighter than the recorded sound through it!
I use Capi Heider preamp and it helps a bit to boost the top end with hi impedance switch engaged.
For close micing it sounds perfect, but as far as I get back from the source it gets darker.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dark to me is an AM radio not an MKH 40 at any distance.
Its a yardstick
Old 26th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A pair of MKH 40's as Overheads for hard rock or metal. Goodbye cymbals hurting your ears. Been using 4050's for 15 years and put up a pair of 40's. Game over.
📝 Reply