The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is a "Gearslutz Fact?"
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
How many mai tai's did it take to come up with "Gearspace"?

Wasn't there a web social media site called "my space"? Or is this anticipating extra terrestrial members down the road?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe Jules is feeling Italian, and it really is pronounced "Gear PACHAY", like Italian for peace? So, "Gear-peace"?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
1. Whatever brand new synth that is accepting preorders with no clear release date is the best ever made for everything possible. All previous synths holding this position should be traded/sold/given away.

2. related to this, suggesting the new preordered synth to everyone asking for recommendations, completely ignoring their price and goals (IE: suggesting a 5k synth for someone who has 500$ price limit)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➑️
That's true. Now you just need to learn what "ersatz" means. :-)
Hey...Gearsatz....that coulda been a contender Brent !

Maybe a bit too highbrow and earsoteric for Jules however ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here are the things I would consider to a list.

All threads will end up being about ITB vs OTB
TLM 103 sucks
Behringer is starting to pay back for it's sins
Threads are about shaving cost off a specific sound
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any conjecture thread about high sampling rate vs 44.1 sufficiency, or discussion of a new product from Merging, seems to be good for 60+ pages of contributions. Multiple GS Facts evolve, and are destroyed, in the growth process of such threads....
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
gs fact + "Ersatzhandlung" (engl. redirection activity) = toxic mixture...

...although lurking around on gz could be viewed as a ersatzhandlung and as such might have a therapeutic effect on some folks - for details, ask your shrink!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 10:15 AM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
But it IS true. TLM103 do suck, but only ITB. They sound better when you take them out of the box.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️
But it IS true. TLM103 do suck, but only ITB. They sound better when you take them out of the box.

D.
So THAT'S my problem with them! Thanks!
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➑️
Where have all the Studer's gone... long time passing?...

Where have all the Neumann's gone... long time ago...

Where is all that groovy gear, Teac, Tascam, Pioneer...

When will they ever learn? When will they e--ver learn....
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➑️

Where have all the Neumann's gone... long time ago...

Where is all that groovy gear, Teac, Tascam, Pioneer...

When will they ever learn? When will they e--ver learn....
lol!

actually, i applaud anyone who's still using large tape machines (not cassettes!) although i'm wondering about their motivation besides nostalgia or manifestation of alledged 'gs fact'?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A "Gearslutz fact" is an opinion or myth masquerading as settled consensus.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️

D.
I remember when I first heard the "TLM103s suck" statements; I recall Fletcher pontificating this opinion. I believe I owned four or six of them at the time, I ended up buying a total of 14 Neumann TLM103s.

I'm quite fond of that microphone. It's a great large diaphragm utility microphone.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A "Gearslutz Fact" is an old wives' tale and that's a "Gearspace Fact".
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
I remember when I first heard the "TLM103s suck" statements; I recall Fletcher pontificating this opinion. I believe I owned four or six of them at the time, I ended up buying a total of 14 Neumann TLM103s.

I'm quite fond of that microphone. It's a great large diaphragm utility microphone.
So that's what a newbie should buy for their first LDC?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My first LDC, as a "newbie", was one original RODE NT-1, in 1998 or so. I liked it well enough to purchase a pair of NT-1A a couple of years later. The original NT-1 was Joly-modded several more years later, and is one of my favorite utility mics. As my "ear" matured, I started looking for something a bit more neutral (2007 or so), and Rich Mays ("Sonare", RIP) suggested a pair of Neumann TLM193. He was not wrong. They aren't anything but "lovely" in the roles in which I use them. When I wanted to explore the world of M/S, I found a clean, used AT4050 for "side" pickup, and a clean, used Shure SM27 for a "neutral" LDC "mid"... I've also experimented with SDCs in that role... but the SM27 holds its own.

All that said, my SDCs (Senny, Gefell, AT) still get the lion's share of lifting... but all the LDCs are welcome and find appropriate uses. No regrets.

HB
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't know, it's hard to say.

My first four microphones as a newbie were, a Shure SM57, and an SM58, a Sennheiser MD421 and an MD409.
Then I started to double them up.

I believe my first LDCs were a pair of AKG C414EBs.

Today, I don't know what I would suggest a newbie should buy.
It depends on their budget and the style of music or work they plan to do.
Here for the gear

Sir, the private believes that any answer he gives will be wrong! And his senior drill instructor will beat him harder if he reverses himself, sir!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
I don't know, it's hard to say.
Today, I don't know what I would suggest a newbie should buy.
It depends on their budget and the style of music or work they plan to do.
A few years ago I was working with a friend on producing a demo album for his blues band. He had been using his Shure SM58 to record his vocals since that's what he uses live on stage. I urged him to look into getting a LDC for his vocals for the recording and gave him a few budget options in the $400 or less range. He found a deal on the Rode NT1A with the pop filter and that backing absorption screen/vocal booth thing that they sometimes include. He was astounded with the improvement in the quality of his vocals and he even started using it on his acoustic guitar and his cabinet.

There's a lot of great options in the entry level price range these days. I have long recommended the now discontinued AT-3035 as a quality budget LDC, which was one of my first two mics also (the other being an SM57). You can still find them on Ebay for between $150-200 and they punch well above their weight.

You can do a heck of a lot of work with an SM57, a pair of quality SDCs and a quality budget level LDC mic (okay and maybe a kick drum mic too, but that's another argument).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
...and I'll just add, the opportunity to purchase a TLM103 at a price I could have afforded when I was looking for LDCs never arose, and I've been well-satisfied with the mics I have researched and purchased, in the roles for which I purchased them. The answer above was to address (with examples) the question: "So that's what a newbie should buy for their first LDC?" My short answer would be...

"It depends."

But, then... I rarely do "the short answer".
πŸ“ Reply