The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ideas for improvement - nooB's first viola/piano and solo piano recordings
Old 13th December 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ideas for improvement - nooB's first viola/piano and solo piano recordings

Hello Everybody!

I have 2 recording that I wanted to get some feedback on. I've been lurking, and have learned a lot about things here! Thank you to everyone for having such a wonderfully open and informative community, I'm really glad I'm becoming a part of it!

this was recorded with garage band on a MBP
2 CAD GXL-1200 mics in an very widely spaced (10 feet) AB format, each pointing about 15 degrees inwards at the open lid of a Steinway concert grand in a small hall in New York City.
These ran into an m-audio 1814 (no preamps), then directly into my computer via fw.

My biggest question would be how to get the very wide spacing you hear, but without such a "hole" in the center of the sound! Perhaps ORTF next time I have access to the hall?

The second recording is the 2nd movement of the Brahms F Major sonata for clarinet (but on viola). I moved the microphones back about 6 feet, and tried to angle them in a bit more towards the f=holes of my instrument (I'm the violist).

Thanks for any and all advice. The Gear was borrowed, and I'll be buying my own "location recording" rig on a low budget in the near future!

The Schumann is the solo piano and the Brahms is myself with the same pianist.

Thank you all so much!!!
Attached Files

Brahms F major mvmt 2.mp3 (6.75 MB, 1207 views)

schumann.mp3 (4.58 MB, 2252 views)

Last edited by liveinnewyork; 13th December 2010 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: needed to ammend title
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveinnewyork ➡️
Hello Everybody!
2 CAD GXL-1200 mics in an very widely spaced (10 feet) AB format,
Great sound. I like it, but I dislike the too wide stereo, the viola is going from right to left, no stability in the stereo image.
Normal with a so wide AB...

My suggestion is to go with a real ORTF and if you want more space you will have to add two flanks. But ORTF give you a lot of space and a good stereo image.

The other suggestion is to go with a real AB pair with omnis.

JMM
Old 13th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
10 feet is very wide. And it actually serves to close the sound field, not expand it. Not to mention cardioid mic are not really appropriate for AB spacings.

In this setup you really shouldn't go wider than the standard 40-60 cm AB with real omnis (more than 3 feet and you will hear a hole and obscure the sound field). And certainly you should never go wider than the ensemble on stage with a single pair. With your mics, stick with ORTF or other variation like mathieujm said.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…