Shure KSM 141...are they good?
Old 3rd February 2015 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The KSM 141.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
Can you please clarify which mic you are referring to? The KSM 141 in the thread's title or the AKG C460 mentioned in the preceding post (presumably with the CK 62 capsule)?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm pretty sure this is great mic but...

(I'm not a professional record/mix engineer, recording for fun purpose mostly, and sometimes it gets published)

I recently did use ksm141 pair, cardioid for drum overheads.

didn't like the result that much. bleed from other instrument were nice (it was for jazz piano trio, piano+upright bass + drums) but cymbal sizzle was too harsh to my ears.

I like using these for acoustic guitar tho.. maybe I should try these next time for piano.

will report back if I use these again!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the Ksm141 in omni mode better as I said years ago in a post above. And dual omnis can be really good on overheads, depending on the room. However, now that Serrano is coming out with the Km84s and with cardioid and omni capsules, if I was buying I would check out the Serrano mics. (Not sure of the ETA though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
I'm pretty sure this is great mic but...

(I'm not a professional record/mix engineer, recording for fun purpose mostly, and sometimes it gets published)

I recently did use ksm141 pair, cardioid for drum overheads.

didn't like the result that much. bleed from other instrument were nice (it was for jazz piano trio, piano+upright bass + drums) but cymbal sizzle was too harsh to my ears.

I like using these for acoustic guitar tho.. maybe I should try these next time for piano.

will report back if I use these again!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
I like the Ksm141 in omni mode better as I said years ago in a post above. And dual omnis can be really good on overheads, depending on the room. However, now that Serrano is coming out with the Km84s and with cardioid and omni capsules, if I was buying I would check out the Serrano mics. (Not sure of the ETA though.)
Don't know if the Seranno KM84s will be better or not, but the Warm Audio WA84's are an awfully good microphone not terribly far from the KM84. Most think the WA84 has slightly more low end and yes a slightly warmer sound. Only slight however in direct comparison, it mostly sounds clean and clear. Also now available in cardioid and omni.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This necro thread is making me feel old. I really did like these on acoustic guitar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude ➡️
Don't know if the Seranno KM84s will be better or not, but the Warm Audio WA84's are an awfully good microphone not terribly far from the KM84. Most think the WA84 has slightly more low end and yes a slightly warmer sound. Only slight however in direct comparison, it mostly sounds clean and clear. Also now available in cardioid and omni.
from the Warm Audio Premium Stereo Package product description:

“ The WA-84 Premium Stereo Package with Cardioid and Omni Capsules utilizes custom vintage-style capsules designed to emulate classic componentry and design techniques. The WA-84's capsules are carefully manufactured by an Australian capsule supplier and are precisely reproduced to vintage specs. We are pleased to offer such high quality capsules in these microphones which allows us to nail the sonics of the most important component of any microphone kit”

So…that would be Rode, then ! Peter Freedman (Rode’s CEO) also made reference to building bespoke items for other companies (like Warm) as a profitable sideline, in one of their promotions videos.

I wonder if the omni capsule (or rather, capsule plus preamp combo) has any similarity with the esteemed Neumann KM83
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
from the Warm Audio Premium Stereo Package product description:

“ The WA-84 Premium Stereo Package with Cardioid and Omni Capsules utilizes custom vintage-style capsules designed to emulate classic componentry and design techniques. The WA-84's capsules are carefully manufactured by an Australian capsule supplier and are precisely reproduced to vintage specs. We are pleased to offer such high quality capsules in these microphones which allows us to nail the sonics of the most important component of any microphone kit”

So…that would be Rode, then ! Peter Freedman (Rode’s CEO) also made reference to building bespoke items for other companies (like Warm) as a profitable sideline, in one of their promotions videos.

I wonder if the omni capsule (or rather, capsule plus preamp combo) has any similarity with the esteemed Neumann KM83
This is definitely interesting. I remember hearing something from Peter, I believe, a while ago about the NT5 design being a Neumann-styled capsule and a schoeps-styled circuit. Maybe the warm caps aren’t identical, but Rode would’ve already done the rnd work on imitating the Neumann cap.

To be honest, it makes me want to hear these mics!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There has been some discussion that 3U audio supplies the capsules though I don't know anything definitive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude ➡️
There has been some discussion that 3U audio supplies the capsules though I don't know anything definitive.
I tend to associate 'quality, high consistency and precisely engineered manufacturing processes' with Rode....mainly due to their huge investment in computer controlled and automated assembly plant (and much song and dance boasting about it !)...via Freedman-narrated promo videos on YouTube .

However, as you say it's possible that a much smaller and less well known Aust mfr (who very likely source their parts from Asia) are involved....>>>>. http://www.3uaudio.com/cp.asp?id=694

If it turned out to be a very close match for the KM83 ....with Rode manufacturing and Rode-type pricing...I too would find that an interesting path to investigate, particularly given Warm's use of Cinemag transformers !
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves ➡️
This necro thread is making me feel old. I really did like these on acoustic guitar.
Tell me about it…
I started this thread almost 20 years ago..!!!
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Truly incredible!! My KSM137 have been living on overheads for many years now.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantovibe ➡️
Tell me about it…
I started this thread almost 20 years ago..!!!
So did you ever get an answer????
📝 Reply