Experimental Microphone Techniques - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Experimental Microphone Techniques
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Talking Experimental Microphone Techniques

Alright,

I'm looking for any/all experimental microphone techniques you've used or heard of (or just thought of). It doesn't matter what the sound source is. Drums, guitar, vocals, etc. I'm interested in anything. Clean, distorted and modulated sounds are all intriguing . Just looking to try out some new things... Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Arrow

Bless the microphone before using it.

Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Have you ever tried the program speakerphone? It sounds like something you would have a lot of fun with.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I remember reading in one of the Abbey Road books that John Lennon, so enamoured of the slap echo and flanging vocal techniques (he disliked the 'dry' sound of his voice and always wanted it wettened up with such effects, particularly in the later Beatles years), asked George Martin whether instead he could be suspended by a rope and twirled around a stationary microphone, thus becoming the closest thing to a human Leslie cabinet ! I don't know if they ever got around to trying it out....?
If this appeals to you, make sure other objects are well out of your trajectory as you are spun around.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
I remember reading in one of the Abbey Road books that John Lennon, so enamoured of the slap echo and flanging vocal techniques (he disliked the 'dry' sound of his voice and always wanted it wettened up with such effects, particularly in the later Beatles years), asked George Martin whether instead he could be suspended by a rope and twirled around a stationary microphone, thus becoming the closest thing to a human Leslie cabinet ! I don't know if they ever got around to trying it out....?
If this appeals to you, make sure other objects are well out of your trajectory as you are spun around.
would be easier to get a microphone to spin in front of you. i think the solution they used was mic'ing up a lesli being fed john's vocal.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Some odd one's to my experience with good results have been spot micing cymbals UNDER the cymbals and inverting the phase and alligning with the overheads.

Placing a microphone or two under a drummers stool.

A Beta 91 sitting on a bass cabinet.

A SM57 taped to another SM57 but backwards, mic the snare, invert the phase of one to stop hihat bleed.

Same trick but two SM57's together on a snare, delay the second and reduce the volume for a double snare hit. Nice for making a song unique.

SM57 on a bass cabs tweeter gives surprisingly good definition.

Basically lots of 57 tricks.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
I'm not sure if i would suspend myself, but i have a spinning platform that would work perfectly with either the mic placed on it, or a smaller amp.

it's funny to imagine lennon spinning in front of a microphone though...
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
using an 8" speaker as a kick drum mic. using a 4" speaker as a vocal mic.

mixing ribbon mics with condenser mics on the same source can give you the best of both mic types.

three cardioids in an outward facing triangle for stereo pickup - mix like an MS setup for room mics or ambience.

wrapping mics in all kinds of materials just to see what it sounds like - saran wrap, nylon panties, whatever.

place mic inside things like big metal pot, trash can, or large glass container and sing into the pot/glass thingie. or place large bucket on your head and aim mic up into the bucket.

putting a condom over an SDC and sticking it in a glass of water (i think the beatles did this).

tape lav mics all over your body and go sing in a tile bathroom or reverberant stairwell.
πŸ“ Reply