The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser MKH 40 vs MKH 8040
Old 12th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop ➡️
Anyone else who have both MKH8040 and MKH40 who could do a side by side test?
I do have both but am not sure when I can do a side-by-side test.

The MKH 40 have a ruler flat response but roll-off earlier in the bass end and quite sharply at 20kHz.

The 8040 go about 10Hz lower and extend up to 50kHz. The response is not as flat as the 40, but the designer says they are less coloured.

I will try them side-by-side on my Nagra VI when I get the chance.
Old 22nd May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
8040 vs 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
I do have both but am not sure when I can do a side-by-side test.

The MKH 40 have a ruler flat response but roll-off earlier in the bass end and quite sharply at 20kHz.

The 8040 go about 10Hz lower and extend up to 50kHz. The response is not as flat as the 40, but the designer says they are less coloured.

I will try them side-by-side on my Nagra VI when I get the chance.
Did you ever get the chance?
Old 23rd May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The MKH8000 series sounds smooth like it's been mastered

As far as neutral is concerned I'd say the MKH40 would be more neutral than the MKH8040. My friend has the MKH40 and it sounds neutral much like my pair of MKH30's. I have the MKH8040 and 8020 and and both are a bit colored to me, the bass on the 8040 is slightly indistinct while the bass on the 8020 is on the muddy side and the top end seems slightly muted. Definitely should have bought the MKH20 instead. The newer series are full bodied but have color something like Schoeps or Neumann. Sennheiser probably went in this direction because of criticism of the old series being to clinical and boring sounding, they made a mistake especially with the Omni but I'm generally pleased with the 8040.
Old 24th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 ➡️
The newer series are full bodied but have color something like Schoeps
Not at all! I recently did a little test where I had an 8020 pair and piggybacked an mk4 pair I had lying around unused to see what the difference in the top end would be. There were substantial upper harmonics just completely missing from the 8020 pair. "Muted" indeed. No thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When I used the words color I really didn't want to give the impression that they sounded like Schoeps or Neumann but unlike the original MKH series which could be called a bit dry Schoeps and Neumann have some color. To me MKH original and some Gefell mics and Earthworks QTC40 have a drier more neutral sound. Everybody has a slightly different wording as to how things sound which can lead to some confusion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The word
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 ➡️
color
can indeed be a slippery slope.

The interesting thing in this case was that whereas "color" usually implies something added, my impression was that the 8020 started at "neutral" and then took something away.

In any case it sounded nothing like a Schoeps or Neumann, so I thought it worthy to note that such a comparison could be misleading (if not almost insulting to Schoeps).
Old 20th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu ➡️
The 416 exaggerates s, sh and similar sounds.
i'm searching for the right mic for my sibilant voice mainly for smooth rap, vo ... i already tried so many mics but they all sounded to unnatural or the highend was to harsh
... but on my voice the mkh 416 does something pleasant to sibilant sounds that i never heard with any other mic ... at the same time it's the brightest mic i tested so far and that's something i don't like

i'm looking more for a cardiod option, so i want to try a sennheiser mkh40 and schoeps mk4, mk22

i can't afford to buy all three and test them side by side so i'm reading old post and try to figuring out which one of these could fit my purpose the best

i want a natural recording of spoken word with smooth high end

with "natural" i mean it shouldn't take or add something to the voice (tlm193 gives my voice too much "balls")

and with "smooth" i mean it should not exaggerate mouth noises or sibilant and similar sounds, it should smooth out those critical sounds, beiing more forgiving than critical, without missing anything relevant for voice
Old 20th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 ➡️
i'm searching for the right mic for my sibilant voice mainly for smooth rap, vo ... i already tried so many mics but they all sounded to unnatural or the highend was to harsh
... but on my voice the mkh 416 does something pleasant to sibilant sounds that i never heard with any other mic ... at the same time it's the brightest mic i tested so far and that's something i don't like

i'm looking more for a cardiod option, so i want to try a sennheiser mkh40 and schoeps mk4, mk22

i can't afford to buy all three and test them side by side so i'm reading old post and try to figuring out which one of these could fit my purpose the best

i want a natural recording of spoken word with smooth high end

with "natural" i mean it shouldn't take or add something to the voice (tlm193 gives my voice too much "balls")

and with "smooth" i mean it should not exaggerate mouth noises or sibilant and similar sounds, it should smooth out those critical sounds, beiing more forgiving than critical, without missing anything relevant for voice
For speech I find the MKH 40 extremely natural - it was the first mic. I heard that made me think it was a human being and not a recording of a human being.

Difficult to say, but it just sounded "right".
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I played with my 8020 for a while, both recording and testing. As it turned out, this mic can go really high, something like 60KHz, very extended. But, it also becomes very beamy, more so than other stable mics we all use, certainly a lot more so than MKH800. So, in order to take full advantage of these 80xx mics careful placement and aiming of the microphone is a must.

Da-Hong
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
40s always my choice for a Vox spot
They always slide into my 30/30 mixes seamlessly
📝 Reply