The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gospel live recording...help needed
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Gospel live recording...help needed

So here we go.....

I have been ordered to make a live-production of a Gospel-choir concert. At the same time they've requested that I'd make a recording of the concert.

So here's the question:

How would you do this?

a) Multitrack recording of the whole damn ****

or

b) Stereo recording (XY, MS, blumlein, spaced omnis or whatever)

The setup is standard. A piano, a Hammond organ, a bass, drums and the choir (30-40 people).

Off course the setup AND post-production will be A LOT easier with a stereo setup, but whaddaya say?
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Are you making a video production, or sudio only? I am assuming video....

Definatly make a full on multi track recording of the event, in the least record seprate stems of the band, vocals etc ( maybe, stereo b3, stereo kit, bass, stereo ambience, spot mics for solists and 2 or 3 stereo pairs on the choir? that could let you away with around 16 tracks?).You can allways record a kick ass 2 mix at the same time and use it if you want, but I would want the flexability of remixing, and polishing/sweetening that a multitrack recording gives you.

i doubt that post will be eaiser on you with just a stereo setup, just potentially quicker ( and most likely more painful.)

Let us know how it goes!

Steve R, could you chime in? esp in regards to the whole video - audio clocking tomfoolery that is required?
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
No video. Just audio.
Old 7th May 2003
Super Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
IMO, you should multitrack this session. Being able to remix the tracks later is a nice safety net. A stereo recording may not cut it.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't throw up a stereo mic situation. Just put them on a pair of tracks. Maybe try recording a few different techniques on a couple of stereo tracks.

The stereo recording may compliment your multitrack recording just fine.

Two mics on the piano, two to three mics on the Hammond's leslie. A DI and a mic on the bass and at least 4 or five mics on drums will work just right. Don't forget to add some mics for audience response.

I usually place at least two mics per choir (soprano, tenor and alto) sections.

I don't believe the post production would be easier with a stereo setup, then a multitrack. If the stereo pair sounds good, you're golden. If not you're screwed. Multitrack the event and enjoy yourself. 24 tracks will do the job just fine.

I hope this helped.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…