Quantcast
So...Who has the new issue of Mix? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So...Who has the new issue of Mix?
Old 1st May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
So...Who has the new issue of Mix?

I just got in and found it in my mailbox. Big black cover with white letters that say;

"What can save the music industry"?

Nutty.

Heavy.

Maybe I'll actually read this issue rather then looking at the pictures.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was pretty surprised when I saw the cover subject. It must be bad if even Mix noticed.
I haven't had a chance to dig in yet. I fear the there will be an article with Butch Vig telling us how to save the music industry by letting the record reviewers make "perfect" records with Pro Tools.
Old 2nd May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I just like the black cover... How much more black could it be?

None. None more black.

But seriously, I dug in a bit this afternoon starting with Paul Learman's column and reading snipits of others. Interesting stuff. What seems to be common thought (and this is a very from the surface statement) is that the music industry shouldn't be saved and should just be replaced with a new model.

How's them apples?
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I got no problem wit dat!
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
great looking cover. cant wait to read it.
Old 2nd May 2003
Riffer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
I was pretty surprised when I saw the cover subject. It must be bad if even Mix noticed.
I haven't had a chance to dig in yet. I fear the there will be an article with Butch Vig telling us how to save the music industry by letting the record reviewers make "perfect" records with Pro Tools.
Uggghhh... that made me hurl.

Well I guess it's encouraging that the problems in the biz are finally being talking about openly. I'm all for a new model. The whole idea of multinational conglomerates running the record labels, radio stations, concert promotions... it's just sick.

And I like the IDEA of Apple's new digital download model, but in practice it probably just means that indie artists will be squeezed out, and we'll have another monopoly (Apple) to answer to...

I hope Apple sees some competition soon and that, like the free file sharing services, it treats independent and major label artists equally.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just cracked it open and spent 5 quality minutes on the first couple of pages. More to come. Fletcher's letter is over the top yet on point as would be expected, and I love the "why not just nuke Clear Channel?" by Ed.

I'll read it this weekend.
Old 2nd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
i will read it. And anyone interested in subjects about the music industry should pick up a copy of 'Hit Men' book really good one
Old 2nd May 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
Just cracked it open and spent 5 quality minutes on the first couple of pages. More to come. Fletcher's letter is over the top yet on point as would be expected, and I love the "why not just nuke Clear Channel?" by Ed.

I'll read it this weekend.
Fletcher's reply was by far, my favorite reply.

Didn't Bob Clearmaountain say the " Clear Channel" quote?
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Yeah, it was Bob
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You are right, it was Bob.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What seems to be common thought (and this is a very from the surface statement) is that the music industry shouldn't be saved and should just be replaced with a new model.

Dem apples smell good to me!
Old 3rd May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is it me, or does that guy looks like a tanned GWB with a white beard? Photoshop?
Old 3rd May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Old 4th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Is it me, or does that guy looks like a tanned GWB with a white beard? Photoshop?
HAaha

you know, you're right!

Nice work jazzius

The more mockery that clown is subject to, the better.

..... eases the paaiiiiinnnn.
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that if they stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on the recording budgets, it would be a stsrt.

A friend of mine just finsihed their debut CD.
Pricetag?

750k US dollars.

That's just sickening and ridiculous.

How the hell, no why the hell would you spend that much money recording a 4 piece rock band. And a debut record at that.

That's just out of control.
Old 5th May 2003
Founder

A&R ******s...

tutt
Old 5th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I know a band that's in the last 3rd or so of a $500K record. Their last was done for about $30K. Freakin nutty. But, now we're getting back into the land of the Mixerman chronicles. It amazes me that you can spend that much money on an album. I don't know if I could make a better record for $250K then the one that I would spend $30K on.
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm surprised that after spending that much money, it all sounds like the same generic garbage. Nothing specila whatsoever.
Old 5th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
its because music is no longer an artform, its a product created by test groups, marketing departments, and shareholders. there is no artist development anymore, nor to the "artists" they flood the money to have ANY talent beyond doing what the labels R&D department tells them to do.

why is it i see bands with NO talent get record deals and bands with extrodinary talent get passed by?
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The record execs are afraid of bands with talent. Back in the day, when someone had talent they would eventualy be able to name their own price and control their own destiny. If they had any brains. If I was a big record company would I want my product to suddenly be wanting to go in a different direction right when i was reaping the benefits of my investment? Yeah, seems to me its fear, and a large dose of dont give a rats ass about anything.Its not a MUSICAL industry anymore. Every new artist sounds like the last new artist that sounded like....You can actually hear the grinding of the factory wheels in all the new crap out there.And it is crap. Lets all get guys with monotonic baritone voices who sing like they're in some kind of pain about absolutely nothing and have this grinding guitar/bass sound with no apparent division in it....or some little teeny girl who can do the little hip shake and be autotuned into stardom,and surround her with all these dancers or some other teenage lifestyle icons to attract the peer group to em.And if theres no attraction lets flood the media with these images of this crap until people have no choice but to buy it. And lets kill off anyone with something good and new and exciting and ............
sorry.rant.peace
Old 5th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Yeah yeah... So we all know it's pretty fukked up at the moment. No use in crying over spilled milk right?

What do you think the new model should be?
Old 5th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
its because music is no longer an artform, its a product created by test groups, marketing departments, and shareholders. there is no artist development anymore, nor to the "artists" they flood the money to have ANY talent beyond doing what the labels R&D department tells them to do.

why is it i see bands with NO talent get record deals and bands with extrodinary talent get passed by?
While we're making broad sweeping statements, it COMPLETELY depends on the motives and level of the record label/recording studio. Corporate studios, sure, of course this is right. Mid-level/indie/DIY is a rather different game.

It's cool with me if record execs want to schlep swill so they can stay in business. Just makes real music all the more enjoyable.

I think the new model is already here: many home studio owners look to professional recording studios for services they can't get at home, e.g. - large(r), acoustically treated live rooms to record in, access to better equipment, and a trained, experienced engineer. The huge labels are drowning quickly because they can't affordably cater to the new market. The new market is small business recording studios. The megalithic giants are going the way of the dinosaur, to be replaced by smaller, faster predators.

I'm not confused, mystified, or upset by the way it's shaking out. I like it!
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AJ sez:"why is it i see bands with NO talent get record deals and bands with extrodinary talent get passed by?"

Rhetorical question, right?

Evelyn Glennie has a great article on music therapy on her website. The upshot is, everybody can agree music is a good thing as long as there are no musicians involved.

What I mean by that is, when the creative personality and the spirit engaging the audience is in evidence, that brings up issues. When the creative force is played down as much as possible and effaced (aw shucks) to the point where it's almost like there's just music, and no musician, that's agreeable to all. Consensus is a wonderful thing. It's a thing, anyway. Isn't it?

A simpler way to say all that is: wallpaper.

I'm just on this bent after another gig where they were looking for wallpaper, and got live & kicking musicians. Regardless of the positive audience response, the management was made very nervous when the walls started breathing. I like that kind of thing, personally.
Old 6th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i hate wallpaper.
Old 6th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Funny how the club owner doesn't mind when the "wallpaper" comes and pays its bar tab...
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Funny how the club owner doesn't mind when the "wallpaper" comes and pays its bar tab..."

Right, it's easy to forget that the music is merely a background to the real business of selling intoxicants- blues bars, raves, discos, it's just a matter of what the intoxicant for sale is. Now if I could find a place that peddled reefers, I'm sure we'd get along.

That also explains why the commercially acceptable alternative to wallpaper is screechingly painful blaring solid state clipping- takes a lot of alcohol to stay in the same room with that, and ka-ching goes the register.dfegad

Ain't it great to be crazy?
πŸ“ Reply