Quantcast
Columbia's 30th Street Studio Revisited & Kind of Blue - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Columbia's 30th Street Studio Revisited & Kind of Blue
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Been thinking alot about Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" recording and Columbia's 30th street studio. There was an exhibit last year on July 18th 2008 at the Morrison Hotel Gallery:

Columbia's 30th Street Studio Revisited - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

In Session At The Columbia Records 30th Street Studio

Teo Macero interview

I've read a couple of articles on the famed studio and was wondering if anyone had any insight into how the recording of "Kind of Blue" itself was done. There are couple of shots of everyone in the studio, but nothing concrete. It would be great to get Mark Wilder to chime in on this(Teo Macero passed away last year), but i don't know if he is a member here.
I have to say that the kind of blue album is my favorite recording ever, never gets old.
I wonder if they used pultec's on that album, I know pultec's were around at that time ?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcappetta ➡️
I have to say that the kind of blue album is my favorite recording ever, never gets old.
I wonder if they used pultec's on that album, I know pultec's were around at that time ?
They used Miles Davis on that album.

Some contemporaneous views of the control room here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16022655151

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MZrnuSGGg

It seems like any outboard gear was pretty minimal.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac ➡️
. . .and Fred Plaut; with that combo and M49 mics, I doubt very much EQ was used - Pultec or otherwise.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
. . .and Fred Plaut; with that combo and M46 mics, I doubt very much EQ was used - Pultec or otherwise.
*M49.

But yes. What EQ was used (if any) is arguably pretty low on the list of things important to the sound of those recordings.
Old 2 weeks ago
I have seen a handful of photos of that studio (don't know the year) and they had a wall of pultec's in every room.
Pultec's started getting popular in 1955 and since kind of blue was done in 1959 I thought there was a possibility.
Quote:

Some contemporaneous views of the control room here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16022655151

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MZrnuSGGg

It seems like any outboard gear was pretty minimal.
beautiful pictures, you can really feel the times in those shots, thank you for this.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have seen a handful of photos of that studio (don't know the year) and they had a wall of pultec's in every room.
Pultec's started getting popular in 1955 and since kind of blue was done in 1959 I thought there was a possibility.
When the new control room was installed in 1962 there was a rack of outboard gear on the right side of the desk (as looking out into the studio from behind the desk). I'm not sure if I've seen close-up shots of the rack at 30th Street, but the racks at Studio A in Hollywood and Studio B at 49 E. 52nd St had Pultec EQP-1As and RCA BA-6As, along with a few other bits of gear. Studio A at 799 Seventh Ave probably had a similar rack too before it closed.

There was more outboard gear in the remix rooms (first at 799 Seventh Ave, then 49 E. 52nd St) and in some of the studios following the circa 1970 updates. If much or any outboard gear was present around the time of Kind of Blue I don't recall seeing it.

More on CBS studio gear here:

Columbia studios in the 1960s
Old 2 weeks ago
There is a very good possibility that Ive seen so many of these pictures I could be getting the location wrong also lol
I remember going to Jim Reeves site that had some awesome pictures and info
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There is a very good possibility that Ive seen so many of these pictures I could be getting the location wrong also lol
I remember going to Jim Reeves site that had some awesome pictures and info
Most or all of the shots of racks full of outboard gear are of the mix/edit rooms, not the main studios:

http://www.reevesaudio.com/vintagesessions.html
Quote:
Most or all of the shots of racks full of outboard gear are of the mix/edit rooms, not the main studios:

http://www.reevesaudio.com/vintagesessions.html
My question still applies, did they have and use Pultec's in the mix/edit rooms on kind of blue.
Something tells me they did, I don't know why I feel this way
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My question still applies, did they have and use Pultec's in the mix/edit rooms on kind of blue.
Something tells me they did, I don't know why I feel this way
No idea, I'm not aware of any photos from that era.

Note there weren't mix/edit rooms at 30th Street. In 1959 they were at 799 Seventh Ave.
Quote:

Note there weren't mix/edit rooms at 30th Street. In 1959 they were at 799 Seventh Ave.
Who knows what they used, the record sounds fabulous
Quote:

They recorded kind of blue in the church, wasn't that in 30th street not seventh ave ?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They recorded kind of blue in the church, wasn't that in 30th street not seventh ave ?
Recorded at 30th St. Mixed at 799 Seventh Ave.
Quote:
Recorded at 30th St. Mixed at 799 Seventh Ave.
ohh I get it now lol thank you for the clarification
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ohh I get it now lol thank you for the clarification
And of course remixed several times over the past 30-40 years.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Columbia and Pultecs

Quote:
one of the mix/edit rooms: Pultecs. likely 7th Avenue.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/32117769950/
would be 1965 or later, based in the Scully 280 4 track.
note the Langevin AM16's and McIntosh MC-75's,
UA connectors on the back wall.

that site has many interesting photos including one of the custom console at RCA's 24th Street studio.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
beautiful pictures, you can really feel the times in those shots, thank you for this.
Yes, but all white people it seems - is that also "the times"? Seems very strange, especially in this (kind of blue) context.

Anyhow it's not the musicians, the engineer/producer or the microphones alone that makes these recordings so great, it's also the Armenian church that became the now demolished studio. What a shame )))

::
Mads

Last edited by mljung; 2 weeks ago at 12:24 AM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
Yes, but all white people it seems - is that also "the times"? Seems very strange, especially in this (kind of blue) context.

Anyhow it's not the musicians, the engineer/producer or the microphones alone that makes these recordings so great, it's also the Armenian church that became the now demolished studio. What a shame )))

Mads
What does color have to do with this thread or conversation ?
And you are 1000 percent wrong about it not being the musicians, go ask another White guy, bob Olhsson, he was an engineer at Motown and has said on many occasions how it is the musician or singer and not so much the gear.
Of course having good gear is a plus, but not a necessity.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And you are 1000 percent wrong about it not being the musicians, go ask another White guy, bob Olhsson, he was an engineer at Motown and has said on many occasions how it is the musician or singer and not so much the gear.
Of course having good gear is a plus, but not a necessity.
That’s not what was said:

“ Anyhow it's not the musicians, the engineer/producer or the microphones alone that makes these recordings so great, it's also the Armenian church that became the now demolished studio. What a shame ))) ”
Old 2 weeks ago
My comment wasn't directed to you it was directed to Mljung
Old 2 weeks ago
Anyhow its not the musicians LOL they are only responsible for the sound, timbre and feel way before it hits a microphone
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyhow its not the musicians LOL they are only responsible for the sound, timbre and feel way before it hits a microphone
Nobody said the musicians didn’t make the recordings great.
Old 2 weeks ago
you been drinking ? I already said this wasn't directed to you lol
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My comment wasn't directed to you it was directed to Mljung
I'm simply saying that it's a combinations of factors that makes a recording great - Including the space! (so the "alone" word was important as lukpac pointet out).
So many wonderful recordings have been made in Colombia's 30th street studio - from Ellington to Simon and Garfunkel, great music and sound.
Mads
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I thought all the S&G were at 7th Ave.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Seventh Ave closed in the fall of 1966.

The control room shots on the Boxer 45 sleeve are B at 49 E 52nd St. Plenty recorded there plus A in Hollywood. And orchestral overdubs at 30th Street.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Forgot about 52nd.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was certain about this (read it somewhere years back), but after checking, I now realize (if the new info is correct) that they only made the electric track for sound of silence there, so my claim was really off.

I found this info: https://ontherecord.co/2018/05/25/on...treet-studios/

According to this Pink Floyd's The Wall was recorded there. Haven't heard that before, maybe it's just tiny snip like S&G.

Edit: lukpac seems to have much more reliable info than I have

Mads

Last edited by mljung; 1 week ago at 07:08 PM.. Reason: New info came in
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
I was certain about this (read it somewhere years back), but after checking, I now realize (if the new info is correct) that they only made the electric track for sound of silence there, so my claim was really off.

I found this info: https://ontherecord.co/2018/05/25/on...treet-studios/

According to this Pink Floyd's The Wall was recorded there. Haven't heard that before, maybe it's just tiny snip like S&G.

Edit: lukpac seems to have much more reliable info than I have

Mads
The TSOS overdubs were made in Studio A, not 30th Street. It was those stray Dylan overdubs that were made at 30th Street.
📝 Reply