Quantcast
Stereo recording question..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo recording question.....
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up Stereo recording question.....

Maybe this topic have been discussed before but I could not find it.....
Does anyone know the stereo recording technique placing two mics on top of each other, one mic in normal position and the other "upside down"......very close to each other......!
Which patterns on the mics are used? Position of the mics?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sounds like x/y with large diaphragm condensers. just thing of how the capsule is oriented inside the mic, and you'll understand.

--jon
Old 17th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
With multipattern mics, that could be X/Y (two cardioids at 90 degrees), Blumlein (two figure 8's at 90 degrees), or M/S (one card pointed forward, one figure 8 with the lobes to the sides). Each gives a very different type of stereo soundstage, and it's worth experimenting with all these techniques. Some multipattern mics have more intermediate settings than just card, omni, and figure 8, so you can can get some interesting variations on the classic setups... and even more variations by changing the capsule angles away from 90 degrees.

I use an AKG C426b for this type of setup, mainly on acoustic instruments, piano, etc. It's an integrated LD stereo mic, with a flatter response (I think?) than the rest of the AKG series that uses this capsule series, and I don't have to worry about the capsules matching. They don't match perfectly, according to the plots supplied with the mic, but it's pretty close. You can do the same thing with two separate mics, but the C426b is so easy to set up and vary the angles (and patterns), that it encourages experimentation... and I'm still very much in learning mode with this coincident stereo stuff.

I'm also becoming a big fan of Blumlein stereo. I just don't have an ideal room to use it in.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
can anyone provide a link to where these 3 techniques might be laid out and described in detail? perhaps with nice diagrams and such...

and if anyone wants to chime in with which method they might've used and the mics they used and the results they've gotten from it, that would make for a nice discussion!

thanks
-will
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To clarify? With M/S, what you're saying is the null on the figure 8 mic is pointing the same direction as the front of the Cardiod capsule right? So the two sides of the figure 8 would be at a 90 degree agle according the the cardiod? Like a triangle?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a google search will do you well...

--jon
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo recording question.....-mid_side.jpg   Stereo recording question.....-blumlein1.jpg   Stereo recording question.....-x_y_pairs.jpg  
Old 19th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks everybody ......very useful info for me!
I wonder if these different kinds of stereo technics are used by the proff guys today when tracking pop/rock style music? On vocals or akk. guitars f.ex?

HonkyTonk
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by against88
can anyone provide a link to where these 3 techniques might be laid out and described in detail? perhaps with nice diagrams and such...

and if anyone wants to chime in with which method they might've used and the mics they used and the results they've gotten from it, that would make for a nice discussion!

thanks
-will
Try www.dpamicrophones.com (microphone university).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkyTonk
Thanks everybody ......very useful info for me!
I wonder if these different kinds of stereo technics are used by the proff guys today when tracking pop/rock style music? On vocals or akk. guitars f.ex?

HonkyTonk
Yes. Perhaps not as much on vocals, but on instruments it's safe to say that all three techniques have their place in dayly recording.

Lately I have been experimenting with M/S on drumroom and love it.

My personal favorite: ORTF.
Best compromise of stereo separation, phase coherency and center image.

Good luck,
Dirk
πŸ“ Reply