Quantcast
Worst thing that's ever happend during a gig? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst thing that's ever happend during a gig?
Old 23rd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Worst thing that's ever happend during a gig?

I'm sure there have got to be some interesting stories out there. Have you ever had that moment where everything goes into slow motion and you just can't react fast enough when something really bad is about to happen?
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Worst thing that's ever happend during a gig?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I'm sure there have got to be some interesting stories out there. Have you ever had that moment where everything goes into slow motion and you just can't react fast enough when something really bad is about to happen?
1. Guy pulls gun on me. (Philly)

2. Shootout during show (Newark, NJ)

3. Shootout during show, I duck, bullet hole in wall behind me, thru console in front of me. (Florida)

4. Shoot out in club (Brooklyn 1996), guy loses face (& life) by my car.

5. No-show by artistes trigger major riot (St. Ann, JAMAICA' 1987), I lose all of my DJ stuff, boss loses 100% of PA
--------------------------------------\

Audio related:

1. One time company A is doing house PA, company B is doing backline and monitors, nobody brought a SPLITTER snake (2000)

2. Showed up for a gig with 150ft of feeder cable, closest panel is 200+ feet away.

3. This Easter Sunday past, after gigs friday (Paramount @ MSG, Sat - Atlantic City, three hours into the setup, the act decides that he does not want to perform infront of 700 people at the Newark Symphony hall

grudge

4. There was the time I was supposed to record a 30+ piece choir, I had three sets of matched pair mic's, but the mic stands were left back at the shop.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1) Some asshole spoiling beer in to the mixer while I was playing a DJ set in front of 1000 people! After some smoke & Electro shocks I was very lucky there was a spare one in the companies
Truck. But the rodec was not so verry happy 1995

2) Another DJ set with some trouble, a young couple who was having sex behind one of the main speaker's wall, this dude was giving his girl so much satisfaction that the upper high speakers fell of on the other side on some one's head, result an unhappy party head in the hospital with some brain damage & neck pain
And a young couple telling there story slightly embarrassed to the coppers!!! 1996

3) Some jurk asking me the way to the station while I was just sitting in my car after a DJ gig to go home, at the moment I was pointing him the way he pulled a gun to my head and commanded me to give him my money, I told the bastard to f***off and took his gun & asked him if he still wanted to know the way to the station!!! To my surprise he said yes!!! Ooh I bluffed and the wannabe robber was really in shock and left off!!!
Summer 2000

4) While doing a PA mix with background tape's for the Flemish Music scene something went wrong for one of the singers.
Talent comes on stage and announces his first song and pointing my direction to start the tape, me looking back at him telling I ain't got no tapes!!! Suddenly his mother appears in front of me with a shoebox full of cassette tape's with no title on and not in the set list order, no numbers on it just nada nothing rien du to!!! So watch could I do more than putting in the first tape and see what happened, that was a fun gig you should have seen his face trough his ten track gig guessing what his next song would be!!! 1997

5) Sure have some more but cant remember them for the moment, IM curious to hear some more story's of fellow gearslutz
Old 23rd April 2003
Founder

Limelight club london late 1980's

The gear:
Crappy little live mixer
A few stage mic's
a rented Fostex 8 track tape recorder
Patch cords
A HUGE 4 corner dance music PA - Back speakers facing stage, could NOT BE TURNED OFF for live show!

The cast:
Wispering nylon stringed accoustic player / singer
Oboe
Weedy percussion
Fey backing singers
+ very NOISY CLUB AUDIENCE

Result:
Feedback central
Horendus experience for all concearned - all down to me.

My live club recording career began and ended that night!

I take my hat of to you guys!

Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
See Jules... That is when you unplug the speakers that aren't facing the right direction...

My worst experience was the Bangledeshi Music festival where they stiffed the PA company. I ended up getting the hotel's armed guards in the room while the PA was being shut down in the middle of the show. First amp is off, and all the "leaders" of the festival show up and open their wallets... They handed me a $2500 wad of cash to keep the show going.

Also had the usual forgeting recorders/mics/stands/snakes, etc...

--Ben
Old 24th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I was doing FOH in a 300 capacity club which must've had a little over 100 *MAB's in it at the time. Mr. drunk guy thinks he's friends with the band and walk's up between songs to tell them that he's leaving and manages to fall over onto the stage knocking a mic stand over in the process.

The mic stand is a round base boom and nails one of the guitar players in the teeth while it's going over. The guitar player falls over into the drums knocking the kit, drummer and 6 mics (4 of them were on) to the ground and into the drum wedge. The first mic that started the whole incident is now laying next to a center stage monitor and the guitar was also feeding back since the guitar player got knocked out for a few minutes. The end result was 5-7 seconds of feedback at maybe 109dB SPL and an early end to the night.

Suckage. We blew one driver on the drum wedge probably from the drum vocal mic which was laying on it, everything else was ok. Nobody got seriously injured but the guitar player didn't know which end was up for a good 20 minutes.

* MAB stands for Mobile Acoustic Baffle. aka people who came to the show.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lots of stories, this one just came to mind.

Doing sound for a punk show in the mid 80's in SF, a club called the On Broadway. I was young and this was the biggest show I had done. I worked hard to get good sounds and a good balance. It was punk, but I wanted it to sound good. 10 minutes into the show, the club owner came over and was screaming at me that it was not loud enough. He shoved me to the side and pushed all the faders up to the max and told me not to move them.

Oi oi. Oy vey.
Old 25th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
* MAB stands for Mobile Acoustic Baffle. aka people who came to the show.
f*cking brilliant.
Old 25th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
10 minutes into the show, the club owner came over and was screaming at me that it was not loud enough. He shoved me to the side and pushed all the faders up to the max and told me not to move them.
Been there, done that. If I'm working in a room I don't know too well I bring an SPL meter, the regular Rat Shack analog one. I always leave it on slow, C-weight and try to average 100dB, peak around 105 tops for a rock show. I've had a few club owners/managers come up and say that it isn't loud enough so I'll push it up to average 105, peak at 108 or so and it STILL isn't loud enough. WTF? There's no point in having it that loud.

Heh, I can remember working at one place where the owner told me to turn it up and when I did the subs started popping because they couldn't take all the low end I had been pushing and I managed to cake a voice coil. He wasn't too happy at that point. But what did he want? They were home made bins with crappy drivers and were underpowered to boot.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
(Registered to be able to share this)

Not on my gig, but this band I replace in regularly has to do a Swiss hotel/skiing/TVcelebs promoband concert thing and the promotor wants it on DVD.
The bands usual PA guys are okay, but kinda stuck in the 80ies rockscene and -material.
Promotor finds video company and the PA guys will do the sound part (3 ADATS).

On the way to the location the musicians find out the guy responsible for the recording is reading the manual of the ADATs !!!
On arrival he seems to have forgotten to buy some tapes, he thought they came with the machines ...

Alright, shows being played, everything is recorded, they head back home (Belgium) and go to mix the tapes.

Seems there's a delay of about a second between first and second tape and another one between second and third tape..

The guy didn't know anything about syncing so he pushed 'REC' on the first machine, then on the second and then the 3rd ...

Herwig
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Welcome, Herwig.

Those adats are tricky. Very hard to figure out. I can see where an audio professional could get confused.

Old 2nd May 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Once, on a two day video shoot, after a really long set up day, an assistant decided (one his own) to pull all the mic split patches just before we were about to leave for a good nights rest for an early call shoot day. He did it because, he wanted the cables to look nice and neat.

When he originally brought the messy cables to my attention, I asked him if any of the cables were in the shot, he replied, "no". I said, "don't pull the cables, we're just fine. If you pull them we will have all new problems to deal with. Why do that when we're about to go home to rest." He apparently thought different. We ended up spending many hours making it right again. We didn't get much sleep, but the audio department was ready to go in the morning!

---------------------------------

What about after the show...

It was early 80s, the band I was working with, myself and a few others got held up by two junkies with a double barrel shotgun and a knife at the Pilgrim Theater in Alphabet City. That was a lot of fun.
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
last weekend...comedy show for DVD...1 mic on the stage and 12 in the audience...room sounded fantastic...house guy did not want to use rented sennheiser sk5000 handheld...wanted to use shure with 87 head that he rented but did not like the 87 head...PA sounded very harsh...sounded great in the truck...just before the 1st of 2 shows that night the opener is announced and walks out on stage i do not have his mic in the truck in the confusion of which mike he liked and did not like and a couple of bad channels on his end the mic was in the next patch hole to the left...i knew what was going to happen as i pulled the patch ut and shoved it into the next hole after losing his fisrt line and ... yes it was the pop heard round the world...i heard it in all 12 audience mics and am sure the entire audience jumped out of their seats...all was well after that...

peace john
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Was working as a house tech for a roadhouse one year...the venue was an old converted vaudville house that had problems with ClearCom...impossible to disable the broadcast speaker in the dressing room when a pusher wanted to use headset.

ANYWAYS, during intermission, the talent is sitting in the dressing room, and his very good looking (and well endowed) wife decides to cross stage and go into the dressing room to visit hubby. One of the techs, forgetting the clear com issue said quite loudly over headset "Welllll....lookie here...what is this fine specimen of a woman doing across stage and not up here in the booth with me..." After the inevitable pregnant pause when everyone (except big mouth) tried to figure out just how to tell him that it was past time for him to find a dark bodily orafice to put his head into, he caught himself..."Knowing my luck, she's probably married to a very lucky guy".

Luckily, the talent was very good natured and laughed while telling the pusher that "the crew should do something about that speaker in the dressing room"
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well, back in the 80's we played a big outdoor event somewhere up in P.A...
While we setup the stage the very helpful house guy ran us a main power line, as there was no power onstage.
So our FOH guy hooks the feed in, and **** starts popping and flaming right down the line... Console shoots sparks, amp racks flame and smoke, outboard explodes...

Seems the helpful house guy assumed we ran everything off 220v...

The house bought a lot of new gear for us!

And we actually pulled the show off (we carried lots of spares, just in case)!!!
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I don't remember where I read it (I think homerecording.com) but a guy had this story about doing sound in a stadion and just before soundcheck the guy driving the forklift truck decided to keep the fork lowered while driving over the multicores.... a 128 channel snakes cut in two places !!!!

The story continues that they finished resoldering the whole thing 10 minutes before the show started..

Always bring spares for anything...

Herwig
πŸ“ Reply