Quantcast
Audio-Technica BP4025 ??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio-Technica BP4025 ???
Old 12th March 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question Audio-Technica BP4025 ???

Hi, I've searched but there is almost no mention of this mic to be found. Has anybody put it through it's paces yet?
Old 13th May 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok, I'll go first. One arrived today and I've just spent an hour or three recording guitar and banjoinin my 4 x 8 metre "Studio". Ist impessions, very low self noise using a MIO ULN2, clear and complete stereo image. I've experimented with m/s and all the usual stereo setups with guitar and never come close to the the real sound of this lovely new toy. Very flat response and not hyped and hissy in the top end. Have a Celtic harp / violin duo to record in two weeks so will have a much better idea how it fares after a weekend in a real situation. Anyone else tried one out yet? .Denis House.
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I haven't played with this mic, but please let us know how it worked out for you.
Old 3rd July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
By way of introduction - I'm a classical music recordist, many years of experience with MANY, MANY mics....

I bought a BP4025 on sort of a whim late at night... I was just hoping for a decent small stereo backup mic to keep around in my kit more or less for contingencies. I've been testing it as an extra mic at a number of gigs, and I have to say it seems to be the absolute worst sounding mic I've ever used... and I don't say that lightly. I can't imagine what the intended use for it would be... the only situation in which I can imagine it might be vaguely useful would be in recording ambience when there's no specific "sound source", or perhaps recording the sound of a too-loud rock band in a small club where the sound is just everywhere.

The high end is hyped and brittle, the lows are thin, the pickup pattern is sorta bizarre (everything on-axis sounds... off-axis; things to the sides (sorta on-axis to the individual capsules) are dominant and the only things that don't seem to be suffering from drastic off-axis frequency response. I guess in practice it seems to operate kinda like a bidirectional mic with more off-axis coloration - which one might expect looking at the capsule design... I mean, there have been plenty of mics in the past that have been unsuited for my needs, but I could usually understand what they would be useful for... this thing I can't imagine ever using in any professional situation.

So I'm hoping perhaps my unit is defective?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've personally had very mixed bag experiences with AT mics. Loved the 4050, but hated many of the stick condensers, often too bright and the 4030 IMHO one of the most overrated mics I've ever used), there little instrument clip mic's were pretty dismal in my experience too. My advice would be to try any of them out before you buy, but leave yourself the option of swapping them out on a job, just in case you find the sound really isn't too your liking.

Regards

Roland
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In AT's defence, I've had excellent results from the 40-series SDCs (4051, 4053, 4049 none of which I'd consider "bright"), the AT4047, and their "high-end" shotguns.

I agree that the 4050 is nice too, although I don't own any (yet).

We used the cellist's own clip-on AT mini-condenser with Marc Almond and it sounded pretty respectable.

I've been less enamoured of some cheaper AT mics that I've run across, but the clue's in the price

Sorry to hear the BP4025 isn't working for you. I've never found X-Y particularly pleasing at a distance, so I'm surprised AT went for X-Y at that price point. Me, I'm still looking for that elusive, reasonably affordable, robust, all-in-one dual fig-8 mic.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 ➑️
Me, I'm still looking for that elusive, reasonably affordable, robust, all-in-one dual fig-8 mic.
QM12i ?

LINE AUDIO DESIGN
Old 4th July 2009 | Show parent
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup, the line audio mic. I've considered it, I'm still considering it. No rush

But much as I like the versatility, in practical terms, it means recording four tracks, which somewhat negates the convenience of a single stereo mic.
Old 27th October 2009 | Show parent
IMR
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using a BP4025 to make field recordings recently, and am fairly happy with the results.

Here's one of carrion crows in woodland:

London wildlife recording featuring October dawn chorus with crows, Lesnes Abbey Woods | London Sound Survey

(Player on the right-hand side.)

I had hoped to get a nice pair of matched omnis (such as AKG ULS with omni capsules) but for portability reasons went for the BP4025 instead.
Old 9th December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullanta ➑️
By way of introduction - I'm a classical music recordist, many years of experience with MANY, MANY mics....

I bought a BP4025 on sort of a whim late at night... I was just hoping for a decent small stereo backup mic to keep around in my kit more or less for contingencies. I've been testing it as an extra mic at a number of gigs, and I have to say it seems to be the absolute worst sounding mic I've ever used... and I don't say that lightly. I can't imagine what the intended use for it would be... the only situation in which I can imagine it might be vaguely useful would be in recording ambience when there's no specific "sound source", or perhaps recording the sound of a too-loud rock band in a small club where the sound is just everywhere.

The high end is hyped and brittle, the lows are thin, the pickup pattern is sorta bizarre (everything on-axis sounds... off-axis; things to the sides (sorta on-axis to the individual capsules) are dominant and the only things that don't seem to be suffering from drastic off-axis frequency response. I guess in practice it seems to operate kinda like a bidirectional mic with more off-axis coloration - which one might expect looking at the capsule design... I mean, there have been plenty of mics in the past that have been unsuited for my needs, but I could usually understand what they would be useful for... this thing I can't imagine ever using in any professional situation.

So I'm hoping perhaps my unit is defective?

Did you see the alert bulletin regarding this mic.

https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...-bulletin.html

Perhaps this is the problem?/
If it is and you get it sorted
Would love to know if this mic is worthwhile, as it check quiet a few of my boxes.

Thanks
Old 18th November 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

Just thought I'd update… I think it was my mic that triggered the repair recall…. But it didn't make much difference (phase doesn't really matter for single-mic recordings)…. After a few more tests, I basically gave up on the bp4025…. If still day it can be a good mic for ambience, but it is not useful for accurate stereo imaging (especially in classical music applications… even as an emergency backup).
Old 18th November 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

PS, I'll happily trade for an 825 if anyone's interested!
Old 2nd September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I realize this thread's been still for awhile, but I have had two years' experience with an Audio Technica BP4025. Taper legend Doug Oade, who'd modified my Edirol R44, recommended it to me. It is dead quiet and has a strong output. I didn't care for its stereo picture at first. I've found after much trial and error that the supplied foam windscreen seems to confuse the image. I accidentally mislaid the screen and then found it was a much better mic. I also try to use it with the bass rolloff switch in off position if possible. I admit I use it more for run and gun documentary than music recording, but for my ambient sound captures and recording on-site actual scenes, usually interpersonal meetings, it does quite well. I replaced a Shure VP88, which had a nice M/S stereo capability but was much noisier. I know Audio Technica makes an M/S mic, but I've not heard it and it's much costlier.

https://soundcloud.com/coffeekevin/hot-august-night

Last edited by kevinsinnott; 3rd September 2014 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Add media link
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Opinions about mics are about as subjective as politics and almost as polarizing. I have very high regards for ATs ATM450 side addressed mic for guitar, their AE5400 hand held vocal condenser, the AT4060 with NOS tube and last but certainly not least anyone that prefers an SM58 over an AE4100 dynamic needs to have their ears checked. I use most of these in live Bluegrass performance however the ATM450 rthm. guitar tracks sit so well in studio session mixes it has become my 1st choice over a bevy of much more expensive mics.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR ➑️
I've been using a BP4025 to make field recordings recently, and am fairly happy with the results.

Here's one of carrion crows in woodland:

London wildlife recording featuring October dawn chorus with crows, Lesnes Abbey Woods | London Sound Survey

(Player on the right-hand side.)

I had hoped to get a nice pair of matched omnis (such as AKG ULS with omni capsules) but for portability reasons went for the BP4025 instead.
Thanks for sharing your recordings. There must also be a variety of microphones as some recordings sound different to each other? Personally I enjoy L&R Stereo recordings preferably to MS. Also what microphones does Stuart Fisher record with?
πŸ“ Reply