Quantcast
satellite internet - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
satellite internet
Old 8th July 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Talking satellite internet

Is anyone out there using it? I'm moving my small mix/edit station out of my home into an industrial building. Cable internet is not available and I have no use for a phone line. In addition my local phone carrier tells me that I need to pay the full installation fee for a phone line just to find out if DSL is available. I'm curious about satellite internet but don't know anyone using it.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
When I looked into it a while back, you still have to have a phone line for uploads, only the download comes over the satellite.
And latency is horrible, you click on something, wait a few seconds and then it all comes rushing at you.

Things may have changed since I looked into it, so what I said above may not be the case anymore...
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
To use sattelite internet, you would need to get a phone line too.

Sattelite internet downloads through the dish at very high speed, but uploads through a normal phone line with a dial-up modem.

You could try to get a Senao Wi-Fi card with a omni antenna with a long cable and hook it out the window to see if you can "borrow" other people's internet
Old 8th July 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately satellite is the only thing available by my studio (Industrial area by the dump!). Speed is probably somewhere between 56K and DSL. Its much slower than cable.

Edit - Not positive about the phone line, im sharing the connection via wireless,
but as far as i know its not needed. The service is from DirectTV.

Last edited by RobDahne; 8th July 2005 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 8th July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
We were DirectWay dealers for awhile.. what a nightmare. Very Inconsistant on the average.. I do know of some folks having luck, but it is a crapshoot at best. I would seriously look into a wireless connection to see availability in your aera, but up here is is costing about what DSL/cable does and performs much better.

this is an example of what I mean so that you have a reference:

DLS Wireless Internet in Illinois
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
From the information I've accumulated so far, there are "two-way" systems available. But satellite speed seems to be pretty slow and you have to buy your dish at an outrageously expensive price. In addition, it seems that dishes need to face South and all my windows face North. I've brought a laptop with airport to the location and haven't found any nearby Wi-Fi signals. I guess my last resort is to find a person with a phone line in the building to check if it's DSL compatible.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I had Direcway / Direcpc 2 way which was totally wireless / satellite and no phone line other than to activate it. During bad weather it sucks, but in areas where you canNOT get cable / dsl it is well worth it.

War
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
have you tried these guys?:

http://www.inycwireless.com/contact_us.html
Old 9th July 2005 | Show parent
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I had Direcway / Direcpc 2 way which was totally wireless / satellite and no phone line other than to activate it. During bad weather it sucks, but in areas where you canNOT get cable / dsl it is well worth it.

War
smae experience i had, no phone line needed and the dish was basically comped for an agreement thing... most satellite companies do this now even with TV.

i had mine for almost a month and then returned it because i got DSL at that house [no cable there]... now i live with cable and its just blinding fast.
Old 9th July 2005 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
When I cut off my service (moving to a town that happened to have Road Runner), they said I owed them for like 4 months more because I had agreed to a time frame on the contract. I told them I never agreed to that and wasn't going to pay it, turned off my credit card autopay with them and took the dish down myself and slid it under my house.

A while later I decided to sell the dish on eBay, and did for about $350 (I paid like $700). Shipped it to the guy, he got it installed but when he called to get the service turned on they told him that I owed them money. So he's emailing me asking if I have an outstanding balance.

I ended up on the phone with those folks telling them that I never signed anything and to show me where I signed (they said "it was the agreement on the screen before you accepted it on your computer"...which is funny because the installer never pointed this out to me...and he was the one sitting in front of the screen...nice) and they would not budge. I asked if they would discount it and they would not budge.

I ended up paying them about $350 and the whole damn thing was a wash. If I would have known they wouldn't accept a new customer using the dish I would have just let it rust under my crawl space.

Anyhow, beware of canceling service with Direcway.

War
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…