Quantcast
Official 2009 GRAMMY Awards Show Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Official 2009 GRAMMY Awards Show Discussion Thread
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Some fantastic performances.. some average... others not so good.

It's unfortunate that the entire broadcast has fallen victim to the loudness war. Whoever is running the compression on the overall mix really should take some time and learn how to use a comp/limiter.

It's pretty bad when your sister calls you and asks why the show sounds like it's "breathing and you cannot hear the singers once the bands start playing". Her words, not mine.

I can see this for the first few minutes, but two hours later, nothing has changed.

Unfortunate.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
omg radiohead
i love it i love it
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
The press are calling this The Grammy's You Shouldn't Ignore, which I find amusing.

They say Radiohead will be playing, which is kind of shocking.

- c
Really??? such a pitful year for music. Everything sounded like techno or christian rock.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Radiohead just played "15 step," which is a song in 5/4, accompanied by a Tusk-style marching band.

Actual art at the Grammy's.

Will wonders never cease?

- c
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➑️
At least Taylor Swift writes her own songs, and plays her own guitar. I got the impression Miley was at kind of a loss up there, not being able to strut around and distract from her god-awful singing voice.
Amen. Taylor Swift is not that great of voice but she was sure better than Mile Cyrus. I thought the song was pretty good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought the Sugarland singer nailed it. Adele no so much.
Overall ok as far as Grammy shows.
Peace Todd
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
McCartney lossing to John Mayer is really sad...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T. Ellis ➑️
Somehow I think he'll recover.

- c
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T. Ellis ➑️
I dunno. I've got both of their most recent releases, and Mayer's album was better if you ask me... Which I'm guessin you didn't.

Besides, McCartney needs more recognition like he needs a hole in the head... or a wooden leg... or... I'll stop there. It's late. I'm sleepy.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
biggest surprise of the evening:
Jack Black's father in law is Charlie Hayden.

Sir Paul looks good. He looks about 38.

Yeah, that guitarist with Carrie Underwood was pretty good... ... for a girl!

In these difficult economic times, you could see they wanted to get their money's worth out of the Wind Machine rental.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My god. Jonas brothers and Stevie. Did you guys see one of the brothers started '13 month old baby' with 'very superstitious'? the kid doesnt even know the song and they get these terrible 3-sum on stage with Stevie.. I dont understand..!!

🎧 15 years
Anyone notice Chris Brown and Rihanna were no shows at the Grammys...

Quote:
Grammy officials announced that Chris Brown and Rihanna would not perform on Sunday night's ceremony after police confirmed that Brown was under investigation for domestic violence felony battery.

Brown and an unidentified woman were involved in an argument in his car in the early hours of Sunday morning that escalated on the street once the car was stopped, police told People. The woman had visible injuries when they arrived and she identified her attacker as Brown, who had left the scene, according to the police report. "If police locate Brown, yes, he's subject to arrest," said LAPD Officer April Harding.

It was unknown whether Rihanna, who is dating Brown, is the woman involved in the case. Rihanna's rep told People: "Rihanna is well. Thanks for your concern and support." Calls by the AP to Brown's rep were not returned.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Oh ****....I really didn't notice until u said that. Thats crazy...I thought Chris Brown was such a nice kid too.....wtf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You people are hilarious........... Making comments about an awards show that you had no part of.............

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And millions of Americans who heard about Antares Auto Tune in Time Magazine are going "they could have used Autotune"
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
You people are hilarious........... Making comments about an awards show that you had no part of.............
No, YOU're hilarious......... Making comments about a thread that you have no part of...........

Lots of to fast-forward past, although:

Radiohead - awesome as always.

Underwood's guitarist looked damn fine, until I noticed that she plays PRS guitars.

McCartney and FooFighters... Nice!

The "legends" of guitar blues tune after the memorial segment was just awkward.

Good for Robert Plant & Allison Krauss. Great album.

In general, lots of undeserving ******bags on stage and in the audience.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dug it. 15 Step was sweet. Wish In Rainbows would've gotten album of the year. And how did Coldplay win the rock grammy...
I wish MIA could have performed more of Paper Planes.
Somehow I missed the Swift/Cyrus performance.
Totally dug ADELE.
I wish the Jonas brothers could have stopped scurrying around Stevie and focused more on the performce. (don't blow the lyrics to a song that is OLDER THAN YOU ARE when performing with a living legend at the Grammys... on live TV.)
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
kings of leon should have gotten best rock album. bummer.

i can always sum up the grammy's in two words

milli vanilli...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Plant & Krause winning RECORD, & ALBUM of the Year, as well as Best Pop Collaboration for a song thats not even pop? in my opinion is a complete travesty. I used to be a HUGE Robert Plant fan but i was absolutely bored silly by both of the songs they performed. NARAS voters seem to always give lifetime recognition votes for the veteran artists instead of genuinely trying to pick the best songs/albums.

Also, at some point the ratings are going to get so low for the Grammy's that they will be cancelled from live broadcast. 98% of viewers probably never even heard the Plant / Krause songs and they swept three of the biggest categories. The Grammy's shouldn't be solely a popularity contest, but it almost always seems to be a career recognition contest far above a popularity contest.

The younger people in the music industry need to suck it up, pay the NARAS fee and vote.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3 ➑️
Some fantastic performances.. some average... others not so good.

It's unfortunate that the entire broadcast has fallen victim to the loudness war. Whoever is running the compression on the overall mix really should take some time and learn how to use a comp/limiter.

It's pretty bad when your sister calls you and asks why the show sounds like it's "breathing and you cannot hear the singers once the bands start playing". Her words, not mine.

I can see this for the first few minutes, but two hours later, nothing has changed.

Unfortunate.
I believe there are limiters downstream from the mixers, probably the music audio goes into a master audio mix, probably a limiter or three on the network feed, and a lot of cable companies have their own again.

I would not be surprised to walk into that control room and find that the music mix sounded really good to the guys who did it.

you could preemptively nuke your material

you could mix watching a TV set tuned to the broadcast

you could simulcast the audio on FM or Satellite radio
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I rather enjoyed the Al Green & Justin performance and also Jennifer Hudson.

My biggest disappointment was Sarah Bareilles not winning song of the year for Love Song, which I think is very well-crafted pop.

Sky
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➑️
Plant & Krause winning RECORD, & ALBUM of the Year, as well as Best Pop Collaboration for a song thats not even pop? in my opinion is a complete travesty.
As always it's all a matter of taste. The fact that a down-to-earth, well crafted record that is not auto-tuned, edited to death and crushed to the limit, won the most important awards, made me actually feel really good. Maybe there is hope in where this industry is heading.
I agree that it doesn't fit the "best pop collaboration" category that well though, but then Coldplay also won "Best Rock"...
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➑️
Plant & Krause winning RECORD, & ALBUM of the Year, as well as Best Pop Collaboration for a song thats not even pop? in my opinion is a complete travesty. I used to be a HUGE Robert Plant fan but i was absolutely bored silly by both of the songs they performed. NARAS voters seem to always give lifetime recognition votes for the veteran artists instead of genuinely trying to pick the best songs/albums.

Also, at some point the ratings are going to get so low for the Grammy's that they will be cancelled from live broadcast. 98% of viewers probably never even heard the Plant / Krause songs and they swept three of the biggest categories. The Grammy's shouldn't be solely a popularity contest, but it almost always seems to be a career recognition contest far above a popularity contest.

The younger people in the music industry need to suck it up, pay the NARAS fee and vote.
The establishment will never let a Rap record win Record of the Year or album of the Year. That's why they created a whole another category for it. Same goes for the best Engineered non-classical category. If a rap record won there would be such an uproar(by the way congrats Joe Chiccarelli).

The year that Lauryn Hill won they felt it was a safe vote and would appease certain people. If you've noticed she hasn't really been back ever since.

Robert Plant & Allison Krauss won grammy's last year so its not a real sympathy vote. Also the nominees showed how weak music is and was this year. I think anyone just tuning in and seeing some of the performances would have thought "man after all the years its still the same people making music: Paul Mcartney, Al Green, Neil Diamond & Smokey Robinson".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I disagreed with most of the voting, but I gotta say that NARAS actually did a pretty damn good job with the production of the event. It went pretty smooth and had some really solid performances. There were only a few dud moments, which in not something I can say about a few of the last shows.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
The establishment will never let a Rap record win Record of the Year or album of the Year. That's why they created a whole another category for it. Same goes for the best Engineered non-classical category. If a rap record won there would be such an uproar(by the way congrats Joe Chiccarelli).

The year that Lauryn Hill won they felt it was a safe vote and would appease certain people. If you've noticed she hasn't really been back ever since.

Robert Plant & Allison Krauss won grammy's last year so its not a real sympathy vote. Also the nominees showed how weak music is and was this year. I think anyone just tuning in and seeing some of the performances would have thought "man after all the years its still the same people making music: Paul Mcartney, Al Green, Neil Diamond & Smokey Robinson".
Who said anything about a rap record winning? Personally, i think its a no brainer that Song of the Year could have, should have easily gone to Coldplay, Adele, or even Leona Lewis. and Album of the Year Category was shared by Radiohead and Coldplay.

Winning Grammy's in a smaller category is nothing like winning ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

2007 Dixie Chicks sure! 2008 Amy Winehouse sure! I thought 2006 giving it to U2 when the album had already been out for a year and a half was a bit much to stomach, though it was a great album. they were performing songs from that album at the 2005 Grammy's!!! And speaking of the (personally) heartbreaking 2005 Grammy's, giving "Album of the Year" to Ray Charles for IMO an ok album, over giving it to Usher who had 6 Top Ten singles, 4 #1's, 3 singles in the top ten at one time TWICE in the album cycle, a #1 album and 9 million records sold, and oh yeah, a whole heck of alot of music people thought the songs were great. me too. and NARAS gave it to Ray because he died. Give him a Lifetime Achievement Award not Album of the Year. just my two cents.

Generally speaking. Album of the Year should go to an an album thats not a small niche album. and besides, honestly, the songs were BORING.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
I believe there are limiters downstream from the mixers, probably the music audio goes into a master audio mix, probably a limiter or three on the network feed, and a lot of cable companies have their own again.

I would not be surprised to walk into that control room and find that the music mix sounded really good to the guys who did it.

you could preemptively nuke your material

you could mix watching a TV set tuned to the broadcast

you could simulcast the audio on FM or Satellite radio
Limiters downstream is not an excuse. They should all be able to monitor the broadcast feed to check their mixes. It sounded like the center channel wasn't linked to LR and the vocals were just getting squashed out of the mix. The mellow songs sounded OK.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What was up with the crowd mics during the talking bits too? They were cranking loud with nothing but the murmer of the audience going on.

Does anyone know if they broadcast a seperate stereo mix as well (or is it 5.1 only and the stereo is a down mix)?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was really shocked and disappointed that Paul Mac and Grohl only did one song. I mean, I loved it, but I was expecting at least two from a legend of his stature. I mean, that man is a god to everyone there (or should be).

If they busted out 'Jet' after I Saw Her Standing There I woulda died (in a good way).

Now that I'm thinkin about it, they should put Stevie and Paul on stage together. They could have pretending to start Ebony and Ivory and then kick into a montage of their songs together. Would been better than seeing Stevie polluted by those three little nothings the Jonas Brothers.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Here are my "Awards" ...
  • The "Still Got It Award" - Stevie Wonder
  • The "Sort of Still Got It, But Please Quit While You're Ahead" Award ... Paul McCartney
  • The "Has Completely Lost It and Should've Already Quit" Award - Neil Diamond
  • The "Sounds Like He's Imitating Someone Doing a Parody of Himself" -- yeah - Neil Gets this one too!
  • The "What the Hell Was That?" Award - the "dream foursome" doing the rap/hip hop thing
  • The "Enjoy Your Fifteen Minutes, It's All You'll Get" Award, - The "I Kissed a Girl" chick.
  • The "So This is What Is Supposedly Great Music Now Days?" Award - Cold Play and their awful song with the guy beating on the kettle drum or whatever that is. (at least they respect McCartney!)
  • The "High School Talent Show" Award - Mylie Cyrus and Taylor Swift.
  • The "Exactly Why Did This Win?" Award - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss (and I am a Zep fan)
  • The "Can You Please Quit Talking Now" Award - Robert Plant
  • The "You Should Have Practiced It First" Award ... the foursome that played (or tried to play) Hey Bo Diddly.
  • The "I Was Actually Impressed" award - Timberlake with Al Green.
  • The "Actually Can Sing Award" - Jennifer Hudson
  • "Best Performance" - Carrie Underwood
  • "Best Country Song Imitating Hard Rock" - Carrie Underwood
  • "Best Guitar Player of the Night" - chick playing on the Carrie Underwood hard rock country song.
  • "Worst Joke" - The "Beatle Fighters" crack by the Rock
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Carrie Underwood and band kicked serious azz.

I enjoyed the hell out of dirt bag Rock's performance and his band. Classic Detroit dirt bag.

Swagga was organized chaos and was great

Grammy's constantly were in a self congratulatory mode with dull written commentary

16 year olds (and under) on show were highly questionable

Neil Portnow is a dildo
Neil Diamond is a dildo

I wish Johnny K. had won for produsah instead of Rick Rubin.

Grammy's only get one pay day per year so they milk it.
πŸ“ Reply