Quantcast
Any favourite ideas for wind orchestra - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any favourite ideas for wind orchestra
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking Any favourite ideas for wind orchestra

I´ve done several symphony orchestra recordings over the years and has collected quite a share of mistakes. Hobby musician myself (trombon, some bassooon).

Next weekend comes a new challenge. It is a brass wind orchestra (tubas, trombones, trumpets, saxes I believe, clarinets even a bassoon, kitchen kit). Purpose is to make a CD. I am going there with max 14 channels, mixed cardioids and omnis all of known brands.

Any last words of wisdom you could share? Any typical things to mic? Any part of equipment you would always carra on? Guess the tubas will have their own mic, as well as the quiter instruments.

// Gunnar
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i would use a single ORTF pair with a pair of flanking omnis. i dont see anything there offhand that i would spot. using multiple mics in a situation like that will reduce the group cohesion, mess up the natural imaging and balance, cause phase problems, and create a mixing headache.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you see this recent thread?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'd love to watch a recording session with Bruce Leek w/ North Texas Wind Symphony. I know what he uses, just not how many and where. I hear they do some "cheating" while recording. By cheating I mean that if there's a very prominent clarinet section line (or solo) they'll not only spot them but put them out in front of the ensemble. This is 3rd, 4th, 5th hand info and might be false. The quality of these recordings done for Klavier (and now GIA) are wonderful.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➡️
Did you see this recent thread?
Sorry. I cannot understand why I missed it. Lots of good ideas. Thanks for the pointer.

One problem I will struggle with is that as I remember it the hall does not sound very good (I remember it having a rather ugly room sound). Tried to change location, but could not be done. Going there to listen on monday in preparation for the weekend.

Guess three omnis across or perhaps in a Decca tree might be a good starting point. Getting a little closer than ORTF will probalby be only good. Adding outrigger and spots to taste.

// GUnnar
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…