DECCA - very sad news.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DECCA - very sad news..
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Unhappy

Decca was one of the reasons why I wanted to record music!

Keep your DAV preamps get some M50's and plant new Decca trees; they made some of the best recordings over the years. Keep the albums and make safety copy's. Let the Decca sound live forever!

Best wishes
Mads
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RIP
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️

Decca was one of the reasons why I wanted to record music!

Keep your DAV preamps get some M50's and plant new Decca trees; they made some of the best recordings over the years. Keep the albums and make safety copy's. Let the Decca sound live forever!

Best wishes
Mads
This is sad.
I had no idea Julia Fischer had signed on with Decca. She had been on Penta-Tone, and her solo Bach disc on that label is outstanding. I haven't heard the new Decca recording the article speaks of, but she really is a great musician (I've seen her play), and it's sad if her major-label debut fails to do her justice.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow....

This quote is interesting:

"These qualities have long been laid to rest, as the new Fischer dics all too grimly demonstrates. Fischer’s sound is poorly balanced and over-bright. Any subtlety she may have tried to convey is blown out of all proportion by all-purpose engineering from a freelance team that has no history with Decca. Nor is there much sign of a producer’s intervention. Fischer plays with steely athleticism but not much forethought or refinement. Comparison to the young Anne-Sophie Mutter, equally metallic but infinitely more controlled, puts Fischer firmly in the lower leagues. Decca in its heyday would not have passed this product."

BTW, I heard a movement of A.-S. Mutter's new recording of Bach violin concerti the other day on the radio, and found her constant vibrato a bit irritating...

Daniel
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unhappy

End of an era ....

What happens to the back catalog? Does Universal own it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe skepticism is advised. Its stormin' Norman.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr ➡️
End of an era ....

I ask myself the same question
Will bits and pieces come out on cheap labels without proper credit's etc.
I really hope they'll at least archive the recordings as the treasure a lot of the recordings are. Just come to think about all the old Britten stuff, but that's just a corner of a big warm library...
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Oh my root. . .

Actually quite hard to believe this news. Will wait for a confirmation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the seems like a hoax
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have any of you wondered if the music business is finished?
I think the closing words of the article imply that it is.
If a number one record can not support the people involved, whats the point in being involved?
Video killed the radio star.
Ipod killed the stereo store.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr ➡️
A friend of mine who owns an audiophile label bought the licensing rights to the entire archive. We are transfering about 4 master tapes at a time to release.

Regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering ➡️
A friend of mine who owns an audiophile label bought the licensing rights to the entire archive. We are transfering about 4 master tapes at a time to release.
Regards,
This is heartbreaking news.

Can you tell us the name of the audiophile label so we don't have to chase around looking for it?

Thanks,
3rd&4thT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so this aint BS i take it.....that sucks bad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Ipod killed the stereo store.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Isn't that a Buggles tune?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&4thT ➡️
Can you tell us the name of the audiophile label so we don't have to chase around looking for it?

First Impression Music

Regards,
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering ➡️
Just took a look at their web-site, looks like a mixed bag. I'm sure a lot sounds good, but when I think Decca I think of a company that made very good recordings without using the audiophile stamp. It was for people who enjoyed music - not just for hi-fi freaks.

[and it was Britishheh]

If "First Impression Music" have bought the rights now I'm afraid we will only see a few popular titles from the Decca coming out.
I'm skeptical about the future for the Decca heritage

==
Mads
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
not just for hi-fi freaks
I try in every possible way to understand WHY audiophiles are hated by sound engineers.

I am sure there are too many "too-stupid-too-much-money audiophiles" going around. But leaving those aside, aren't audiophiles the ONLY people who can truly apreciate the quality of your work???

"Audiophile" here is a negative tag, but for me describes someone with a lot of love for music and for hearing that music in the best possible way and I have known a lot of those people, some with expensive stereos, some with cheap ones.

You hate iPods (but a lot of iPod people is actually paying for music) and you hate audiophiles (who are the only ones with good playback systems who can value your recordings). Who else do you hate, your boss? Your wife? Yourself???

Now that big corporation companies are (let me add: finally!) dying, it's time for smaller and niche record labels to spring out!!!

In iTunes/internet the little fish has more or less the same possibilities as the big fish!!! Use your new powers, you don't need to expect the everytime lower check from the everytime bigger corporation anymore!!!

Am I too optimistic?? Will my SXL LPs cost more if Decca closes??

Sorry if this post doesn't belong here.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Man, if this is true it's terrible news and a serious drag.

Perhaps there is still some hope for the Decca catalog and its future.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just took a look at their web-site, looks like a mixed bag...
Unfortunately that is also the case when you look at Decca's contemporary website. But the old days were great. The back catalogue is a Fort Knox of classical music recordings.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoteque ➡️
I try in every possible way to understand WHY audiophiles are hated by sound engineers.
Just to make it clear: I love good sound, but for the sake of music. Audiophiles [or hi-fi freaks] can be, although I have to emphasize that they're not necessarily, kind of religious about sound and sound-systems; they hail quality of sound above all.
Decca made a lot of wonderful recordings that I consider "audiophile" - if you will - but that wasn't their selling point, and I like that, that's all.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️
Unfortunately that is also the case when you look at Decca's contemporary website. But the old days were great. The back catalogue is a Fort Knox of classical music recordings.
Sure but I've always bought Decca albums in record-shops, not from their web-site!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Considering that Decca is no longer an independent entity, I'm wondering what is actually being shut down. Just offices? Why would Universal (Or whoever owns the setup) do away with the brand name?

I've also been planning to back up my old CDs, some of which are over 25 years old. Plenty of the fabulous Montréal/Dutoit recordings from the eighties among these.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
That's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➡️
Considering that Decca is no longer an independent entity, I'm wondering what is actually being shut down. Just offices? Why would Universal (Or whoever owns the setup) do away with the brand name?

I've also been planning to back up my old CDs, some of which are over 25 years old. Plenty of the fabulous Montréal/Dutoit recordings from the eighties among these.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Decca made a lot of wonderful recordings that I consider "audiophile" - if you will - but that wasn't their selling point, and I like that, that's all.
The thing is in the end, the "earability" of music depends of both, music and recording. I agree there are audiophile records that may sound good, but the music is... well, not good!

Quote:
Perhaps there is still some hope for the Decca catalog and its future.
They can't throw away all that catalogue!!! Let's hope good for the First (good!) Impresion Music!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not a lawyer and even if you ask two of them you get five opinions, but it might have to do with the commercial use of the back catalog. If you liquidate shop and reissue under a new company, possibly you can "screw" the artists and producers, anyone who has still rights in the recordings. Their contracts might not protect their rights, when the label liquidates. But that is pure speculation from my side. It has happened though in the past.
I just recently bought a CD that was originally from Teldec (RIP) and was reissued in the low price segment under the until then to me unknown label
"apex"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure but I've always bought Decca albums in record-shops, not from their web-site!
Most of First Impression Music is sold through a distributorship. There are 2 more labels under FIM which are LIM (Lasting Impression Music) and GS (Golden String Audio).

Elusive Disc
Music Direct
May Audio
and a crap load I can't remember right now.

Regards,
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ohh yes early Decca digital was not bad at all and the St. Eustache acoustics in the hands of the Decca team was glorious! There's of course the different Ravel and Stravinsky recordings, but for me the Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition from '87 is spectacular; listened at full level it has both brutal impact and beautiful poetic atmosphere - and what a sound stage!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh, you can guarantee the revenue stream will stop for all but the ones who need it least, like the Pavarotti heirs. When a classical CD reappears on another label, the residuals almost never follow.

I hope Universal will hold onto the business archives. There must be lots of good letters, memo's and session notes; I'd hate to see all that in a dumpster.

Universal also shuttered the Philips label within the last year. Funny that no one noticed. They had a lot of good recordings in their back catalog, even if the A&R tended to be duller.

While they occasionally dropped the ball, Decca had pizzazz, for an English company anyway. EMI, with a superlative classical list, never quite figured out how to sell a record, whereas Decca could really stir up some hoopla.

3rd&4thT
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…