Quantcast
Almost String Quartet sample - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Almost String Quartet sample
Old 2nd February 2009
Deleted User
Talking Almost String Quartet sample

"Almost" means there is oboe instead of the first violin, as you can hear. Medium concert hall (400 chairs). Main pair was Schoeps MK21 in NOS. Each of the instruments has a very gentle spot - Earthworks QTC30 on oboe and cello, AEA R88 on the second violin and viola. Spots are delayed. No reverb added.

Any critique is very welcome. Thanks for sharing your opinions!
Attached Files

AlmostStringQuartet.mp3 (1.86 MB, 3243 views)

Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria ➡️
"Almost" means there is oboe instead of the first violin, as you can hear. Medium concert hall (400 chairs). Main pair was Schoeps MK21 in NOS. Each of the instruments has a very gentle spot - Earthworks QTC30 on oboe and cello, AEA R88 on the second violin and viola. Spots are delayed. No reverb added.

Any critique is very welcome. Thanks for sharing your opinions!
A little too close up in my opinion; can't feel the room as much as I would prefer. Nice string sound. But the oboe was a bit ehh 'nasty' sounding, didn't fit with the rest.
Would like to hear the recording with-out the spots.

Did you like the room; how would you describe it's acoustics..?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
krs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice recording man

To nitpick I agree the spots may be a hair loud, in particular the cello. A little too close and too widely panned for my taste. I suspect you were looking for more low end in the recording. It sounds like the spot was placed a little too close to the bow noise. Hard to say not being there.

Bravo. Your Schoeps sound awesome thumbsup
Deleted User
main pair only

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. Mljung, I uploaded a file with just main pair, no spots. The room is quite tall, there is wood everywhere. It is not an acoustic I prefer, so I wanted to come closer but, maybe too close. I forgot to mention, I used DAV BG8 comming straight to TC Konnekt 48. So, you can also have a picture of onboard converters. I bought Mytek stereo ADC for mains but, at the time everything went into SK48.
Attached Files

AlmostStringQuartet-v2.mp3 (1.89 MB, 271 views)

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria ➡️
Thanks for your input, gentlemen. Mljung, I uploaded a file with just main pair, no spots. The room is quite tall, there is wood everywhere. It is not an acoustic I prefer, so I wanted to come closer but, maybe too close. I forgot to mention, I used DAV BG8 comming straight to TC Konnekt 48. So, you can also have a picture of onboard converters. I bought Mytek stereo ADC for mains but, at the time everything went into SK48.
I think I prefer this recording without the spots. But for me the oboe still doesn't 'melt in' with the strings.
I don't know the room but maybe it would have been better in this case to use the spot mics for the room instead. Possibly an addition of [EQ'ed?] room mics could have added some 'glue' and a touch more spaciousness to the ensemble sound. Just a thought.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I too prefer the recording without the spots. I would have liked a bit more room as well. Without the spot mics, the strings start to breathe to me but the oboe still doesn't come to life.

Have you used omnis in that room?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I agree with the second recording allowing the strings to "breathe" more.

I could roll with either though. thumbsup

I'm listening on desktop speakers, and I think the oboe fits in just fine.
📝 Reply