Quantcast
Mozart, Concerto pour piano et orchestre no. 15 KV450 Korg MR-1000 & DPA4060 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mozart, Concerto pour piano et orchestre no. 15 KV450 Korg MR-1000 & DPA4060
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking Mozart, Concerto pour piano et orchestre no. 15 KV450 Korg MR-1000 & DPA4060

Attached a sound sample of Mozart's concerto pour piano et orchestre no. 15 KV150 recently recorded in a very dry theater using only my Korg MR-1000 and a pair DPA4060.

Mic placement was not optimal, Piano is to loud. I had it in the first place right however one of the musicians listen and told if is was possible to add more piano so I lowered the mics by 40cm which turns out way to much.

Anyway listen for your self and tell me if you like what you'll hear, bare in mind I used a minimal setup and had it setup within 45minutes.

I added reverb within Logic 8.
Attached Files

Mozart piano et orchestra n.mp3 (5.66 MB, 339 views)

Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
But where did you attach it ? )
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➑️
But where did you attach it ? )
Yeah! DPA are very quiet mics. No noise.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
How far were you from the source?
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
How far were you from the source?
At least one mile. (Gaston, just jokes.)
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sound sample now up-loaded

Sound sample is now uploaded sorry for the delay.

Gaston
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 ➑️
Sound sample is now uploaded sorry for the delay.

Gaston
Yes it's a very dry acoustic - but in some way it has it's charm too. Would love to hear the sample without artificial reverb.
On a quick listen here on my HD650, I found that even though piano is a little too forward or loud , as you say, it's a very good piano sound, not boomy, boxy or unfocused.
I reckon you used the Onno configuration. But how far were the mic-pair from the piano [and what piano was used, if you know].
Thanks for posting - interesting and no noise issues!

Best,
Mads
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My favourite Mozart piano concerto, I think... Serkin/Abbado on DG is a nice recording. But it's No. 20, KV 466.

Did you add any reverb here? There is a soft, yet fairly long reverb tail, is that natural?

I certainly would add some (more) reverb for some extra ambience.
Deleted User
Lack of air, strings are too close for my taste but, the piano sound is really good! The instrument itself sounds very well but, the way you captured it made it better. I would add more reverb with less predelay. As for 45 minutes to set up, it's a good job.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➑️
My favourite Mozart piano concerto, I think... Serkin/Abbado on DG is a nice recording. But it's No. 20, KV 466.

Did you add any reverb here? There is a soft, yet fairly long reverb tail, is that natural?

I certainly would add some (more) reverb for some extra ambience.
My Favorite too!
I'm sure the reverb tail you're referring to is an artificial one!

I don't like artificial reverb on classical music, but if you plan to use it in this case you need something that fits the recording much better in my opinion. Think what you have now in the orginal recording and use the reverb as an "opener" of the music; more ambience and more air [as empira asks for] don't think reverb tail..!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➑️
I don't like artificial reverb on classical music, but if you plan to use it in this case you need something that fits the recording much better in my opinion. Think what you have now in the orginal recording and use the reverb as an "opener" of the music; more ambience and more air [as empira asks for] don't think reverb tail..!
Very well put. For the record, I also don't think the reverb is real... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Only two microphones? Great! I think it would have been difficult to get better in these conditions. Yes the orchester sounds too close, especially in the forti but if you would have put the the microphones further, the balance between the piano and the orchester, and the presence of the piano, both very good here, might have been damaged.

Are the microphones 4060 or 4006? I saw in your equipment list that you have both and 4006 should be better. You said also on this forum that the 4th ballade from Chopin offered on your site (great recording also) was recorded by means of the 4060s while 4006 are said being the microphones of all your sound samples on your site. By the way, what is your statement about how the 4060 sound compared with the one from the 4006 ? I have a 4060 pair and I'm wondering whether I should go fot the 4006s or for the 4041s...
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just stick with the 4060, they just seem to have more attack and detail then 4006, I rarely use the B&K 4006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➑️
use the reverb as an "opener" of the music; more ambience and more air [as empira asks for]....
how would you achieve that?

Thanks,

Phil.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 ➑️
Just stick with the 4060, they just seem to have more attack and detail then 4006, I rarely use the B&K 4006
Gaston, I'm strongly considering getting a pair of 4060 myself so I'm a little extra interested about this [already have 4006].

How far away from the Piano/Orchestra were the microphone pair [onno-setup I suppose]. Was it above the conductors head [unless it was conducted from the piano] or closer..?

I agree that 4060 [in different samples I've heard] has it's strong points, but of course also has a drawback [noise] which is one of the reasons for asking about distance.

Best Mads
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil. ➑️
how would you achieve that?

Thanks,

Phil.
Experimentation - if you know your reverbs well [maybe combined with eq's etc] you should be able to achieve it.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just got through listening to the recording. It sounds great. Did you record this at 1 bit 5.6 MHz? Also, did you just use the pre's in the MR 1000? I'm really liking the sound of those DPA 4060s. They sound very natural and rich.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recorded in 24 bit 44.1 Mhz
πŸ“ Reply