Quantcast
What was your first (classical/acoustic) remote recording setup? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What was your first (classical/acoustic) remote recording setup?
Old 28th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
Now working with Sennheiser MKH8050's
via Gordon preamp and Soundfield ST450 to SD788.
Bill
Using 8050 as spots I assume..?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop ➡️
Using 8050 as spots I assume..?
Yes-8050 x 4 across the stage. 1 for each of 4 musicians with mic low down approx. 2 1/2 to 3 ft away and pointed upward to the mouth to balance pick up
of the vocal and instrument
and direct feed goes to the Gordons and the transformer isolated split for FOH PA speakers(no stage monitors).
The ST450, for recording only, is hanging from a wooden beam approx. 9ft above and 1 ft in front of the stage. The 450 is upside down angled with label side aimed at the musicians. In this orientation I can use the stereo output of the 450 for an ambient base of the musicians for my live stereo mixdown or by engaging the "Endfire" switch on the 450 preamp/processor box I can use the 450 to capture audience singing.
Since the 450 is directly between the PA speakers, using a Blumlein decode in either orientation minimizes bleed from the PA speakers which are in the "out of phase" sides of the Blumlein.
Besides multitracking I have to
do a live stereo mix to CDR to give the director for festival archives.
Happy to answer any other questions.
Bill
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, thanks!
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
KM184 pair-->Mackie 1202--->Tascam DA20
Old 10th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, my old thread is still alive..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➡️
Wow, my old thread is still alive..
Wow, you're alive!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Wow, you're alive!
[feels own pulse] Yes, seems so...
How is everybody?

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➡️
[feels own pulse] Yes, seems so...
How is everybody?

D.
Still alive and well in NashVegas...

HB
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
a reel to reel (ampex tape), a borrowed stereo mic, a cheap tandy mic stand (radio shack) and recorded various bits of organ music at a friends town centre church. 1985, I still have the recording, transferred from a DAT to a CD somewhere
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A pair of Nakamichi CM-300 mics into a Marantz cassette deck (with dolby C, if I remember correctly- over 30 years ago)
Old 11th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum ➡️
A pair of Nakamichi CM-300 mics into a Marantz cassette deck (with dolby C, if I remember correctly- over 30 years ago)
Hah! 1966: spaced pair of Sony F-96 omnis into a Sony 464 quarter track deck. My high school choir Winter concert featuring the Vince Guaraldi Jazz Mass. I played bass, and we made a record out of it, my first Lp!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ySYPenFn8>this was uploaded by the drummer, not the best transfer. Sounds mono here but it was stereo...

I hope I haven't posted this before...

I still have a set of 3 CM-300s. And the sonys.
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Schoeps M/S or ORTF into Sound Devices 702
Old 13th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
Hah! 1966: spaced pair of Sony F-96 omnis into a Sony 464 quarter track deck. My high school choir Winter concert featuring the Vince Guaraldi Jazz Mass. I played bass, and we made a record out of it, my first Lp!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ySYPenFn8>this was uploaded by the drummer, not the best transfer. Sounds mono here but it was stereo...

I hope I haven't posted this before...

I still have a set of 3 CM-300s. And the sonys.
I believe you have, Lou... and the links from the previous post provided an interesting 40 minutes of reading, and listening. What a cool experience!

Before I got a Teac A3340S in 1975, and where I didn't want to haul it around (like, to bars and whatnot) I used a Teac A-450 cassette machine, a pair of Sony electrets (similar to F-27/ECM 18) into the mic inputs for the room, and a direct feed from whatever mixer was in use into the line input(s), blending them to taste via over-ear Stanton cans. The recordings weren't stellar (to say the least) but captured a bunch of prized performances of friends' bands in Texas in 1974/5/6. The A-450 became my daughter's in the late '90s, and, to my knowledge, still pulls tape. Talk about robust build quality!

I upgraded through a Tandberg TCD-330 to a ReVox B-215, which was used for archival recordings of choirs until the advent of "affordable" CD recorders in the mid-'90s. I still use it occasionally to transfer cassette to CD.

Ahhh... gear.

HB
📝 Reply