Quantcast
What was your first (classical/acoustic) remote recording setup? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What was your first (classical/acoustic) remote recording setup?
Old 1st February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➑️
OMIGODDESS! (sorry, I'm from Marin) Yes indeed I will examine that and chime in for sure. I still have the orignal tape and the dupe master I sent to Location Recording Services to get the record presssed, as well as a few copies (at least one unopened) of the Lp.

Lots of stuff on my plate right now, but will share it as time allows.

Really cool, thanks a lot!

I used to go see and hear Vince at the Trident in Sausalito, and Brian Mann and I went to his home in Mill Valley several times while preparing for the concert. Takes me back just to think about it!

Thanks!
Just rereading some of the stories in this thread... and now am enjoying the Guaraldi Mass you recorded, thanks to the wonders of YouTube. Aside from the pianist getting a bit carried away occasionally, a nice recording.

Goodonya!

HB
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first classical location recording was an unknown Scarlatti fragment that had been found in a damaged guitar by a local luthier when he restored it
It was featured in our local rag and I followed it up when it was played at a local festival
I borrowed a Nagra VI from a composer friend and used 2 MKH 30s that I owned
We had one and a half goes at it when they did a run through, enough for a complete take of soprano ,harpsichord, violin, viola and fiddle recorded in a large Methodist Chapel
It gave me a passion to do more, though not with discarded manuscript scraps used to repair vintage instrument 300 years ago!
That had taken the luthier years to patch together with his musicologist friend down the pub.
Roger
Old 2nd February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yet another reason we Yanks need more pubs... and fewer sports bars... which you folks seem to be embracing with gusto. Although it it easier to find a relatively quiet pint there, than here. On our behalf, here in Mid-Tennessee, I'll be mixing a small "Beer and Hymns" night at a new-ish pub in Franklin TN this evening, led by my friend (and newly ordained Anglican priest) Chad Jarnagin. We'll see if they turn off the TVs... or merely mute them.

Cheers!

HB
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I started with a Soundfield SPS422 and a Apogee Minime going into
a Digidesign Mbox.
Old 2nd February 2016
RPC
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The very first on-location recording I made was my senior year of high school (I was 17) for a friend's independent senior project; she wrote a piece for two flutes, piano, oboe, and bassoon. If I remember correctly, it was a pair of Sony ECM-19B microphones feeding a TEAC 1230 reel-to-reel quarter-track. I remember my parents finally tracking me down around 2AM just as I was finishing the edit!
Old 2nd February 2016
Gear Guru
College of the Canyons in Valencia, CA back in 1972. I used Sony ECM mics and that 6 channel battery powered Sony mixer into an Akai tape deck.

The band leader's wife worked at Century Records in Newhall so we got free pressings of the school concerts.
Old 2nd February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I started out with a pair of DPA 4060's and an RME Babyface - I originally got the rig to do field recordings of nature/urban soundscapes, but it turns out those matchsticks are pretty good at capturing orchestras too.
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
In an ephemeral moment of affluence I bought an SD 722 and a pair of Schoeps CMC64's. A good start. I ran them ORTF of a local chorale in a local venue. It came off alright. I was bitten by the bug and have since squandered every momentary instance of cash. Way better than putting it up my nose.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started with a pair of Rode NT1A's into an original Mbox. I had a portable Sony minidisc recorder that I fed as a backup in case Pro Tools 6 crashed.

-Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rode NT2 mics as ORTF pair into Revox A700 reel recorder, followed by Nakamichi Dragon cassette and finally Teac DAP-20 DAT. Preamp was Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer's inserts outs
Old 3rd February 2016
Deleted 9d8db46
1978. Fresno CA. Choir director of the Presbyterian church and his wife, he on recorder, she on harpsichord. Pair of Audio Technica AT102 omnis, spaced, into a Teac 3300(? - the half-track machine). When we got it back to our garage studio, we discovered a 60Hz hum throughout. Beginners? Oh, yeah. But that couple were very fine musicians.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
A pair of B&K 4006s, a set of preamps (Neve I think), and a Studer 1/2" 2 track. I made the jump to digital with the PCM-F1 on VHS, then as soon as possible the PCM-1610 on UMatic.

Edit: Nowadays I have Reaper on a commodity laptop, a Focusrite 2i4, a Behringer X32R, and they all cost less together than one of those old 4006 mics. The digital side of the chain offers ridiculously good performance for the money. On the analog side - there are very good mics for not much money, but they don't match the REALLY good (and really expensive) mics. The physical perfection required in microphones of that class still costs a lot.

On the other hand, the acts that really require using a $5000 mic versus a $500 mic are relatively few.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
(3) AKG C414-XLS in Omni in Decca Tree into ...
Studio Projects SP828 Pre/Mixer recorded to ...
Korg MR1000 in DSD128.

Project was a community orchestra - this was archival for the group and for sale in the lobby for attendees at future performances.

Last edited by ez2hear; 3rd February 2016 at 10:22 PM..
Old 5th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Uher 4200 (poor man's Nagra) and a pair of AKG D202E1s, recording local jazz bands (occasionally including me!). Around 1975.

Later a pair of AKGC451EBs and an Otari MX5050B (with the C451s later supplanted by a pair of C414EBs, which I still have). The Otari was in turn supplanted by a digital Sony PCM501ES and a C9 VCR, with a self designed and built 40dB preamp pair including Jensen transformers, and first used for a broadcast recording (of the Baroque opera 'Dafne') in 1985. This rig later provided the material for the first CD including my recordings (1991).

MiniDisc and computer editing started in 1999 .... so long ago!

Ah, nostalgia!
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Back in the mid-1960s when I was a high-school student. I worked over the summer to buy a Sony TC-250 tape machine and three Sony ECM-22 mics. Recording choral and ensemble performances at school.
Old 6th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Started in grade school with a Sony reel-to-reel and the included Sony dynamic mics. I went out to record an interview with an exchange student from South America. I was in 6th grade.

In college at Northwestern they had built a brand new concert hall with all new recording gear. So there it was Km84's into an Auditronics board and recording on Scully 1/4" machines.

My first real owned and operated set up was two AKG 414 mics and a 2 channel mic amp made for me at a local pro audio dealership. This went in to a Sony Professional Walkman. My friend Rudy used a Soundfield MK IV mic into a
Sony professional walkman.

Later I graduated to a used pair of Studer / Schoeps MK4 mics and a
Studer B-67 bought new. The sales brochure said it was "portable." (90 pounds)

After that I purchased a Nagra IV-S and recorded on that for 15 years. Later I moved to a Stellavox SM-8. (Voice of the Stars)

I have run a house of Schoeps and Nagra + Stellavox ever since 1981.

Last edited by Plush; 6th February 2016 at 02:41 AM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Nagra 4.2 and Sennheiser 405 over the conductor quite high, 3 meters might be
and a mic taped to his podium to hear him adjusting the band. All this in glorious mono, as Nagra people noticed. Early 80'ies for a TV documentary about 2 musicians working for The HELSINKI PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA under Okko Kamu at the time...
Mind you I had to run after the camera, so no fuss -expect I got thanks from the musicians afterwards.

Matti
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser ➑️
Otari MX-5050 and some piece of crap dynamic mics, I forget which, but probably some combination of Shure, AT, and Beyer. I see a lot of people here right out of the gate using A+ equipment - must be nice.
Same here. I started in the mid '80s with a 70's Otari 5050 and a couple of Senn 421. Not terrible recordings for what I had.

Folks starting now are sure starting with better than I had - and for probably less investment.

SP
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A pair of AKG414's in Blumlein via Mackie 1202 to Sony PCM2500 and Nakamichi CR7A
in 200 yr old Dutch style barn.
Too humid for DAT to work but
with auto eq and bias calibration on CR7A and Dolby C and metal tape got 70+ SNR.
Terrific shape note (sacred harp) and chorus singing with
nice natural warm bass boost from the barn.
Still return every June to do archive recording in the Dutch barn at the Old Songs Festival
and still enjoy the warmth (acoustical, atmospheric and interpersonal)
Now working with Sennheiser MKH8050's
via Gordon preamp and Soundfield ST450 to SD788.
Bill
Old 7th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started late in life with a mackie 1202 and a pair of SM81's going to a minidisk (Sony Pro DC6 cassette backup). Later I upgraded to a CD recorder (wow a full 16 bits!) and my first pair of Schoeps. I would rip the CD into PTLE(v5) for mastering and had to use masterlist to author the final CD.
Old 8th February 2016 | Show parent
RPC
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
In college at Northwestern they had built a brand new concert hall with all new recording gear. So there it was Km84's into an Auditronics board and recording on Scully 1/4" machines.

My first real owned and operated set up was two AKG 414 mics and a 2 channel mic amp made for me at a local pro audio dealership. This went in to a Sony Professional Walkman. My friend Rudy used a Soundfield MK IV mic into a
Sony professional walkman.
Northwestern was unique in that they didn't have staff record student recitals; the students had to hire outside recordists. An enterprising fellow could record five recitals in a weekend. A lot of us paid for our gear that way! Alas, with the new building that has come to an end; audio recording is now a work-study job.
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➑️
This is mostly for the classical recordist 'round here...
What was the first (self-owned) setup you went out to record with?

I started about 15 years ago with a pair of AKG 460s (with omnis and cardioids), a Behringer stereo mic preamp (which wasn't bad at all), and a Tascam DA 30...

[EDIT]
Like Ben, I also had a Mackie 1202 and two more AKGs (a 414 EB P48 and a 451), the stereo mix going into the Tascam.
The 1202 is still sitting at the bottom of the case I keep my mics in, as last-resort backup for a 4-channel-recording...
The first classical recording I remember was using a GE home reel to reel in a nice walnut case with two Shure 545SDs. Less than stellar by today's standards, but certainly listenable at the time - 1968.
Old 9th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
RCA 77DX into an Ampex 601 tape deck with Scotch 111. Ohio University Glee Club in the Galbraith Chapel. First acoustic recording for me and the date was 1963.

From there it was all up hill.
Awesome! Those Ampex machines remain a lovely choice for doing sound design / composition work. I love using them for recording metallics!
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My first remote classical piano recording was done with Sennheiser MKH 30/40 M/S into a sound devices mixpre to .... uhh ... a Zoom .

Good results considering the end of the chain...
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
First remote recording was with a Metric Halo 2882+DSP and a pair of Earthworks QTC1s. Think I used a FMR Audio RNP/RNC combo for the front end.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First remote was a big band concert circa 1974 at a yacht club summer lawn party (outdoors). I used a Uher Report 4200 with a couple of the Uher M514 mics. I remember a lot of fast reel changes between numbers. I was also running the PA. The master tapes are long gone, but I still have a cassette dub somewhere...sounds OK considering.
Old 11th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
After my Zoom H4 debut: a pair of SM81s going ino a Tascam US2000.
Did not sound bad at all, and if you can make this sound good, you have a solid base to explore other techniques.
Old 11th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A couple of B&K sound level meters (borrowed from work) into a Mackie 1202 and a TASCAM DA30 recording opera student auditions, early 90's.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A piar of AKG C394s and a pair of earthworks TC30ks into a mackie 1604 feeding a Panasonic sv-3700.

Editing was on sound designer ii. Redbooks were cut from masterlist.
Old 28th February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My first fully professional, paid recording was for one track of a compilation LP of new music in the 1970s, with Patricia Spencer as flutist and Joan Tower (the composer of the piece) as pianist.

I was living in Boston then, and the recording was to be made in CAMI Hall in Manhattan. So I took two flights on the (then) Eastern Air Shuttle to bring in my equipment, which occupied the seat next to me (with a flight back home in between of course), and likewise two flights to get it all back home afterward: a modified high-speed Revox A 77, a racked pair of Dolby 360 "A"-type noise reduction units, a custom outboard mike preamp made by Scott Kent, and two Schoeps CMC 34 12-Volt phantom-powered Colette cardioids which I set up in an ORTF arrangement.

Before that, I'd worked my way up from an Advent 201 cassette deck with "Advent" (= Beyer dynamic) microphones to a Tandberg 1/4-track with Sony ECM-22P electrets (very screechy sounding mikes) to a Revox 1/4-track with built-in Dolby B, AKG C 451s and later Neumann KM 83s and 84s and an SM 69fet, before discovering Schoeps mikes.
πŸ“ Reply