Quantcast
What was your first (classical/acoustic) remote recording setup? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What was your first (classical/acoustic) remote recording setup?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
B&K 4006 [stereo-set]
Custom made battery driven Holfi preamp
Modified SV-3700 DAT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr ➑️
I started with a matched pr of EW QTC1s and an EW LAB102 pre, a Tascam DAP1 DAT deck and a Phillips CD recorder!

The Tascam is still sittin' in my closet if anyone wants it, reserve bid only $40!!
Gawd, after reading some of these, I was able to jog my memory. I completely forgot that I actually started with a Sony D7 and a pair of Core Sound binaural mics. I wouldn't consider anything I did with those as professional.

I MUST be gettin' old!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I cheated I wrote it all down. I use to keep track of the recordings I did but I sometimes forgot. In this case I did since it was my first acoustic recording. I keep a small loose leaf notebook with sketches and setups and with problems and kudos listed. Sometimes it helps me remember why I did something or why I would never do that again. YMMV but it always seemed like a good idea.
That's a great idea.

Sadly all I can remeber is the case of Country Club malt liquor cans we enjoyed at that gig.. We recorded a rock and roll band rehearsal the next week and I still have that recording.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Two B&K 2209 SLM's into a DA30. Then got a Mackie 1202, and some KM130's, still into the DA30.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A pair of Oktava 319s into a Fostex VF80 -- basically, bought what was on sale when a friend made a last minute request for me to record her piano recital, but it sounded okay. Certainly a lot better than I had expected!

I still use the Fostex to record campfire jams and that sort of thing (assuming there is an electric outlet within reach).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AKG C12A pair + Primo EMU4520 pair + UHER Mixer + Revox B77

The C12A was bought for nothing at this time (30 years ago). They had some little noises from the capsules and the pair was resold a lot higher to these vintage men

Then MBHOs + Aphex + DATs or CD writers

Then Beyer MC-930 + Mackie + Samplitude

JMM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a Shure VP88 and a small Sony something-Z35 minidisk recorder for a radio documentary I made in Nepal in -88 (4 week trek to Everest BC). So I used those for some organ & big band (??!!) recordings. For fun, not money... It was a real easy setup, only that the level setting was more quesswork than exact science. Studio in a pocket... The organist still asked for a fresh copy a month ago, fortunatelly I had not lost my disks and the desktop MD player is still around.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Console: A rented Yamaha 12 channel PA board

Mics: All Audio Technica's

Recorder: Panasonic SV-3700

Artist: Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Paul Motion

Result: Keith Jarrett, Live at the Deerhead Inn on ECM

Sometimes you get lucky!

`
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Great thread!

My first rig was two B&K 4006 (with APEs and nosecone), a HHB Portadat and Stax Lambda pro headphones. Editing with Sound Designer II

This was back in '96. But I started with proaudio five years earlier learning the ropes in an adequate studio with SSL 4k, B&W/Genelec, 50+ microphones and connections to concerthalls and other rooms in the building. This was when I studied music at the national academy. And being one out of three music production students I had virtually unlimited access to this magnificent playground.

Nowadays I use Pyramix portable (laptop with Magma chassis) and still use DPA mics, Neumann mics and Stax Earspeakers.

Kjetil - Location recordist
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
First that I owned: Sony MD recorder with Sony stereo mic. However, A little more than a year later, I replaced that with a pair of Oktava MC012s (good ones, from the Sound Room - still have them) and a Tascam DA-30, going through a PreSonus BlueTube preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I cheated I wrote it all down. I use to keep track of the recordings I did but I sometimes forgot. In this case I did since it was my first acoustic recording. I keep a small loose leaf notebook with sketches and setups and with problems and kudos listed. Sometimes it helps me remember why I did something or why I would never do that again. YMMV but it always seemed like a good idea.
Did a restoration job on one of these earlier recordings of yours a few months back. Not that early, but probably mid-1970's. Student concerto performance from Oberlin. My client had a bunch of recordings that I digitized and there was one in particular that stood out. A performance of the Rachmaninof Rhapsody on themes of Paganini with orchestra. Tape was a 7" reel, 1/4" half track. I don't remember how the subject came up, but your name was mentioned as the engineer that recorded it.

Sounded pretty good.

--ben
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just started doing a little recording on the side (while FOH mixing). My personal gear includes a pair of sm81's in ORTF, a 57 and a 4033... and up to 8 channels direct from the board (my whackie 1642 for small gigs), all into a TC Konnekt 48 attached to a Macbook Pro. Just doing it on the side though, I'm sure I'd rethink the setup if people started banging down the doors for my services . The recordings have sounded pretty nice however.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I started late and solvent. My first classical recording was the Bach Magnificat. It was of a local chorale which was just starting out with a new director and president. They were both gracious enough to give me a try. The hardware was an SD 722 and a pair of DPA 4006 TL's. This was about two years ago. The chorale and I were both shaky, but were are both getting better.

The challenge and rewards of recording this and other classical gigs has been wonderful. I have no real competition, so they are stuck with me. It is affording me the opportunity to learn. I have made some awful errors, but have been able to cover them up, so far. I have also learned from them.

1) Never wander away from the gear to sit with your date in the audience, even if she is cute as a bug and the gear is locked into "record." 2) Always mic the soloists, even if you may not think they need it. I can throw away the tracks if I do not need them. It doesn't work the other way around. 3) Be super careful with mic placement. 4) Do not believe the manager about mics; the musicians can be quite helpful, though. 5) Everybody thinks their venue has great acoustics. Occasionally they are right.

I'll bet the old timers can add lot to a list like this.

Cheers, all.

🎧 15 years
My first setup was a Techniques RS1500 2 track and a pair of U87's. Various pres and small mixers were used.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Couple of years back - Warbly older gents choir my father had recently joined - Hungover as anything. xy Apex somethingarathers 1m out from the lead. 1st and last time I've used Apex, bad placement .. worse mics - going into a FR-2, which I still use regulary. Sounded horrible, but it wasn't just the recording quality. Now usually a MKH30/MKH40 MS rig , through a PSC M4 into Fostex FR2.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
2 AKG 414 (black ones)
1 ReVox B-77 running Scotch 226
mic amp was made by a friend of mine in his basement.
Had a Yamaha PA mixer too, but didn't know how to hook it up.
Gotham cables, 1 green, 1 red--- 25 ft long.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
Everybody thinks their venue has great acoustics. Occasionally they are right.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.... We have a winner. This is a great quote and explains the classical recordists job perfectly.

--Ben
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I started with a pair of Audio Technica MB4000's(?), an aging Mackie 1202 and an RCA consumer CD-recorder. I fooled around with this for a couple of years recording some of my friends - nothing serious.

By the time I did my first "professional" gig (technically it was for free, but it was the first time I was working for strangers), my rig was a pair of SM94's, the Mackie and an ADAT LX-20. I used the CD recorder as a backup, though I was feeding after the ADAT. I was short on tape so I was stopping in between each number. The ADAT transport was slow and clunky on startup, and although I pressed the record button in time, I missed the opening notes of one of the songs on both recorders (because the ADAT would drop out for a second when it started to roll), and so I learned (the hard way) that your backup recorder should always be COMPLETELY independent of the primary.

Whenever possible, I've tried not to make that mistake again (though I've made a whole bunch of others...).
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
32 channel Whirlwind splitter that i used. The fantails were protected with purple Crown Royal bags!
I still use the purple bags over my snake tails. . . They always get smiles.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Originally Posted by boojum
Everybody thinks their venue has great acoustics. Occasionally they are right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle ➑️
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.... We have a winner. This is a great quote and explains the classical recordists job perfectly.

--Ben
Boy, is this true. Even in the most disgusting venues, the "owners" think the acoustics are wonderful. Yuck!
Old 29th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
First recording gig

Ah, It was 1975, wasn't it? While in my late teens, my father, after my mum divorced him, tried (and succeeded) in turning me into a proto gearslut. He bought me a Sony TC377 (7 in reels, 3 speeds but not 15 ips, 3 heads, 1/4 track) and later he gave a pair of EV655's silver not black. My first recording gig was a competition demo for a flautist: Poulenc's famous 1958 SONATE on a harsh Baldwin 5'7", and the flautist played his open-hole Gemeinhardt. A few months later the EV's were out on borrowed Music Department mic stands again, and I was watching the Sony's VU meters in a soprano's graduation recital, which included a world premiere.

Don't know what happened to the EV's; the Sony TC377 was so worn out by 1976 (I was ritually taping all my new LP's and listening to the reels) that it could not be cured of wow&flutter, so into the landfill it went.

JG
http://www.clc-lcc.ca/membership-bio.php?composerID=112

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hmm. In 1967 I got a Sony TC464CS and a pair of Sony F-17 mono mics, and recorded the final concert of the high school choir, while singing on most of it and playing bass on the Vince Guaraldi Jazz mass. I still have a couple of copies of this, my first record!

Still have the mics, too. Deck went away long ago.

<L>
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➑️
Hmm. In 1967 I got a Sony TC464CS and a pair of Sony F-17 mono mics, and recorded the final concert of the high school choir, while singing on most of it and playing bass on the Vince Guaraldi Jazz mass. I still have a couple of copies of this, my first record!

Still have the mics, too. Deck went away long ago.

<L>
That's obviously not you on your avatar then. heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
That's obviously not you on your avatar then. heh
GRIN! No, that is my ideal customer - a cute French girl in a miniskirt who likes real records!

I don't let people take photos of me in skirts... Cute as they might be.

For the longest time I didn't see the avatars here, just recently enabled them again and that was a photo I had on hand... from a French film. Anybody care to guess who and which film it is?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Aimez-vous Brahms? heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
Aimez-vous Brahms? heh
Oh, that must be a guess. Nope, never heard of that one!

did not mean to hijack the thread...

L
Old 30th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my first classical recording was made with a pair of u87s>>>Doug Oade Custom Jensen Transformer Preamp>>>DAT

that was in early 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first (and current) personal system is my MacBook Pro, a Focusrite Saffire Pro40, a pair of Mk012s, a pair of KEL HM1s, a pair of Studio Projects B1s, and a bunch of SM57s and e835s.

I am planning an aggressive marketing campaign in the fall, so I will hopefully be able to get a mixer and some RME stuff if business picks up.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Roland VS 880x, MD441, AT PRO 37 in the mid 90s for classical. My earliest location recording was on a fostex 4-track, but that was for rock stuff, circa 1980.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I recorded my high school's band concerts in the late 60's, probably with a couple of Shure Hi-Z ball mics. The first paying job was around 1970, The Wentworth Junior High concert band in Calumet City, IL (hometown of the Blues Brothers BTW). Equipment was a quarter track Tandberg model 12 reel to reel and a pair of AKG D-200 microphones. I used the internal mic pres on the recorder which had those cool magic eye tubes as level indicators.

I purchased the mics from Gill's Custom House on Chicago's south side (Plush, do you remember them?).

My effort actually got pressed onto vinyl. My name was on the record label as engineer! I remember getting my copy from the school band director, taking it home and listening to it. It sounded nothing like the master tape. It was compressed and eq'd to sound like bad AM Radio.
I hope the parents were happy.

No, I don't have the record anymore!

Fast forward to this morning where I handled audio for our morning gab fest TV show on location with 24 channels of wireless submixed by the house and me adding another 10 channels of wireless mics and IFB.

I guess I like audio.
πŸ“ Reply