Quantcast
Your Fantasy Jazz band - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Fantasy Jazz band
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Talking Your Fantasy Jazz band

I was trying to figure out how to explain the history of jazz music to my lovely but non-musical girlfriend. I started to think about Louis Armstrong to Dizzy to Miles etc. My mind then wandered to the most influential players on each instrument. Finally i decided to put together my FANTASY JAZZ BAND OF THE 20TH CENTURY. If I had the chance, this is the group that i would produce. My criteria is of course subjective, but is based on who i feel contributed most to defining what we think of as jazz. I will limit the ensemble to not more than one player on each instrument to force some hard choices. So, here is my group:

On trumpet it seems like the obvious choice, and perhaps the band leader, is MILES DAVIS. If you picture the family tree of jazz, Miles is a big part of the trunk. Not the roots, but, it seems like everybody of consequence played with Miles or one of his band members.

On Sax I've chosen MICHAEL BRECKER. i could have easily gone with Trane, but for me Brecker brought jazz to a modern plateau without diminishing the original art form.

On Keys I've got JOE ZAWINUL. While not the most notable piano player, I feel that Zawinul created something that everyone that follows him will be influenced by.

The choice for bass is obvious to me. JACO PASTORIUS continues to blow my mind. I still feel a sense of loss thinking about all of the great music Jaco would have created if he'd lived a longer life.

The guitar spot in this band got tricky for me, but ultimately I've chosen PAT METHENY. He owns his own unique style while being able to bop with the best of them.

Drums is the hardest chair for me to fill, being a drummer myself, I have many hero's that would be worthy of playing in my fantasy band. I'm going to pick PETER ERSKINE. He is almost the anti-drummer, choosing to play as few notes as possible, rather than the barrage of notes that most of us would tend to play. Peter values the groove over the flash, but he can bring it when it's appropriate.

I think that's the line up for now, subject to availability. I'm not going to have a singer, that would just be gilding the lily. I might add percussion or a trombone at some point, but I think this group will tear it up.

What is your fantasy team?

Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow, tough question. It's like picking the all-NBA or MLB team.

Trumpet: Maynard Ferguson. He can play anything. He's not just a high note screamer, but unfortuantely that's what most people know him for.

Sax: Stan Getz. Doesn't get much better. Brecker would be my other choice.

Trombone: Okay, I'll toss in a bone player. Jack Teagarden. Probably the best from the big band era.

Keys: Chick Corea. Nothing more need be said. Joe Zawinul is also a great choice.

Drums: I'm going with Steve Gadd here.

Guitar: Okay, a surprise here, but a lot of people forget how good George Benson really is. Plus, I get a great vocalist at the same time.

Bass: Jaco rules all.

Female vocals: Can I put in a vote for Sarah Vaughn???
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max The Dog ➑️

MILES DAVIS

MICHAEL BRECKER

JOE ZAWINUL

JACO PASTORIUS

PAT METHENY

PETER ERSKINE
Great choices! There's the minor detail that only two of these players are still alive but what I'm pretty sure that this band would have actually sounded great together as all of them were/are great listeners and melodist.

Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
GADD - yes!!! If you compare what he played in STEPS to what Erskine played in STEPS AHEAD, Gadd might be the more interesting choice. Maybe Peter's "tastefulness" just lost him my Fantasy gig...

Chick Corea, yes would be great, but I think I'll stick with Zawinul, he seems a little more interesting, while chick is a bit more flashy. Either would be perfect really. If I got to be a player in the band of one or the other? Still Joe Z.

Yeah, If we're going with singers, Sarah Vaughn is a super choice, but have you checked out Dianne Reeves? Maybe...heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tho I love threads like this, I think I'd need to know what 'bag' the gig was, and THEN start my list!

a quick list for 'tonight' with 3 choices on each (I can't narrow it down to one!!!):

Trumpet: Clifford Brown/Miles Davis/Dizzy Gillespie
Alto Sax: Charlie Parker/Sonny Stitt/Arthur Blythe
Tenor Sax: Wayne Shorter/Michael Brecker and of course Trane
Trombone: Jack Teagarden/Frank Rosolino/Eubie Blake
Guitar: John Scofield/Pat Metheny/Russ Malone
Piano: Bill Evans/Chick Corea/Michel Camillo
Bass: Christian Mcbride/John Pattitucci/Jaco
Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta/Jack DeJohnette/Dave Weckl

Tomorrow night most likely would be a different lineup!

other 'flavour' instrument: Howard Johnson on tuba (one of my heros)
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Hm. John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette.

Beat that.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is getting fun, it's really making me think about all those guys, some of whom i have not listen to in quite a while.

Plughead, ya gotta chose. that's the point. Let's say your producing a record, can only have 1 line up, and your name is going on the front of it.

That being said, I would love to get Vinnie to sub for Gadd on one track, but, come to think of it, I don't know how well he would vibe with Jaco, so, maybe I'll have to be happy with my 1st choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➑️
Tho I love threads like this, I think I'd need to know what 'bag' the gig was, and THEN start my list!

a quick list for 'tonight' with 3 choices on each (I can't narrow it down to one!!!):

Trumpet: Clifford Brown/Miles Davis/Dizzy Gillespie
Alto Sax: Charlie Parker/Sonny Stitt/Arthur Blythe
Tenor Sax: Wayne Shorter/Michael Brecker and of course Trane
Trombone: Jack Teagarden/Frank Rosolino/Eubie Blake
Guitar: John Scofield/Pat Metheny/Russ Malone
Piano: Bill Evans/Chick Corea/Michel Camillo
Bass: Christian Mcbride/John Pattitucci/Jaco
Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta/Jack DeJohnette/Dave Weckl

Tomorrow night most likely would be a different lineup!

other 'flavour' instrument: Howard Johnson on tuba (one of my heros)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
well,

i'd have said Michael Brecker, Chick Corea, Steve Gadd and Eddie Gomez, however that already happened - if you havn't heard Three Quartets, go get it. NOW!!

otherwise, here's a thought...

M Brecker - sax
Jose Pastillas - drums (i know, but bare with me!)
Reid Anderson - double bass
Herbie Hancock - piano
Mike Stern - guitar

i know it's odd, but the results may have been really interesting. worth a shot eh?!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
Hm. John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette.

Beat that.
Hey Henry, maybe you can sub on a few tunes, you have the chops.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max The Dog ➑️

Plughead, ya gotta chose. that's the point. Let's say your producing a record, can only have 1 line up, and your name is going on the front of it.
But - often 'life' gets in the way of grand plans, and 'subs' come into play when scheduled players aren't available. Thus my long 'call list'!

OK - who I'd like to see record together - by no means a 'penultimate' band, but would be an interesting listen:

trumpet: freddie hubbard
sax: john zorn
trombone: albert manglesdorf
keys: herbie hancock
guitar: john scofield
drums: vinnie colaiuta
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw ➑️
Hey Henry, maybe you can sub on a few tunes, you have the chops.
HA! I'd probably shrivel up and die.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
These bands already existed,

Miles Davis Quintet
Weather Report

just to name a few
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
No, these bands didn't exist. Pieces of them here and there. My band for instance, the rhythm section definitely played together in Miles Davis' band. But Trane never played with Bird, save a date where they're pictured together. Clifford Brown, as far as I know never played with any of those folks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Beat that.

Nices choices !

DRUMS

As a drummer I would pick Jack as well. I would have also considered Tony. Gadd is perfect for many things and is also one of my favourites....just not for jazz

Couple of newer guys I really like; I saw Brian Blades playing with Wayne Shorter and man he was outstanding!!! Really enjoyed his playing. Antonio Snachez is also an outstanding jazz drummer

TRUMPET

I have always been a Clifford Brown fan - GREAT CHOICE He died way too young. I know a lot of people can't stand him, but I also really like Wynton as well.

BASS

Dave Holland is awesome. I was going to go with someone obvious like Ron Carter.....either would do for me heh

Electric Bass....hands down Jaco!

PIANO

THIS is a tough category. Chick on Piano...hmmmm.......sometimes he gets a little to Sci-Fi for me, but his acoustic repotoire is wonderful.

I am going to go with Oscar Peterson on this one.

If I had to choose someone who played Electric keys I would have no problem with Chick. I also really like Michael Camilo

SAX

Coltrane and Parker, welll....what the hell are you supposed say to that ? heh

GUITAR

Pat Metheny

Last edited by True North; 25th January 2009 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: somehow conused Zawinul with Wayne Shorter - must have ben earlier post I was reading - oooops :)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, well it's an interesting exercise. Chick is my favorite. His acoustic work is awesome -- from Now He Sings, Now He Sobs to Time Warp, Rendezvous -- and he's so versatile. A phenomenal accompanist and ridiculous soloist. He's done a bit too much fusion perhaps but his playing has always been beyond reproach in my book!

Although currently some of my favs are Brad Mehldau and also Geoffery Keezer -- neither has reached the heights to justify inclusion in that category! Although Brad is getting close.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-the-sax ➑️
well,

- if you havn't heard Three Quartets, go get it. NOW!!
?!
Man Thanks for reminding me of Three quartets. I wore the grooves off of that LP when i was in college. I'm going to have to dig it out and digitize it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah, well it's an interesting exercise. Chick is my favorite. His acoustic work is awesome -- from Now He Sings, Now He Sobs to Time Warp, Rendezvous -- and he's so versatile. A phenomenal accompanist and ridiculous soloist. He's done a bit too much fusion perhaps but his playing has always been beyond reproach in my book!

Although currently some of my favs are Brad Mehldau and also Geoffery Keezer -- neither has reached the heights to justify inclusion in that category! Although Brad is getting close.

Chick is awesome. I even like his fusion stuff as well, but sometimes there is a little too much 'fromage' in his fusion work. heh There is no question AT ALL in having him at the top of anyones list.

I saw Brad open up for Wayne Shorter and WOW what a trip that was. His interpretations and arrangements were a complete mind-f$%k. Super talented!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Brad is amazing.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You know,

a few months ago we saw Chick with DeJohnette and Bobby Mcferrin at the disney concert hall. That was an amazing night. 3 guys just being musical with the joy of 3 year olds, playing with the music and the audience and each other. Right there was a fantasy band, You really didn't miss the bass player, or lack thereof.

Would Bobby Mcferrin fit in my ensemble? Maybe, I think i'm still going instrumental, although he really does fit that criteria.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Admittedly, I know very little of Jazz.

I would start with Jimmy Smith, and let you guys pick the rest. Though I would like to see Grant Green on Guitar, and I've also quite liked Lee Morgan on the horn.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't mind hearing Buddy Rich on the kit. He still may be the most gifted drummer ever recorded.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wouldn't mind hearing Buddy Rich on the kit. He still may be the most gifted drummer ever recorded.
True, Buddy was one of the greats, and he could swing his ass off and even dial it back when needed. I would not, however, pick him to represent all of Jazz (in the 20th century). Even for his era, I would pick Elvin Jones or Max Roach.

I'm curious, who would you put in the quintessential group with Buddy Rich. I could see Oscar Peterson, maybe. Pehaps Eddie Gomez on bass? I dunno...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Buddy Rich? I hear a great group with Phil Woods or Cannonball Adderly, Ray Brown, Oscar would be great, except he's never been, to me, the best accompanist.

Rich could play with anything that swings or is mainstream. Throw in Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins.

It'd be fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
One of the great technicians of the instrument, who could also really swing his ass off.

He wasn't noted as a great Bebop drummer though
(my preferred genre), but he would easily be my dream drummer for a Big Band / Swing band (Chick Webb a close second)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North ➑️
He wasn't noted as a great Bebop drummer though
(my preferred genre), but he would easily be my dream drummer for a Big Band / Swing band (Chick Webb a close second)
Really? He was one of the bop drummers. He recorded quite a bit with Charlie Parker.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really? He was one of the bop drummers. He recorded quite a bit with Charlie Parker.
Hey Henry

I am sure you are the better jazz historian than I, you are of course correct that Buddy played with a lot of the original boppers (Dizzy, Parker etc..) but by far the largest body of his work was with larger big band type ensembles. He rarely ever played modern jazz/bop or in smaller combos (trios, quartets etc..).

He is still considered one of the greatest ever in the drum community. Most however, do not associate his greatest playing with smaller ensembles and modern jazz/bop.

I was fortunate enough to see him twice before he died. Even managed to get his autograph when I was 11 years old!!! scared ****less when I met him...he had such a strong life force and presence about him, I think that is what helped him drive the **** out of those big bands.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I know you're right about Rich, kind of. But he made remarkable history helping to define those early Bebop recordings, which laid source for this music. Can't really ignore that.

But he'll be remembered for his big band playing. The fact is he could do all of that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, these bands didn't exist. Pieces of them here and there. My band for instance, the rhythm section definitely played together in Miles Davis' band. But Trane never played with Bird, save a date where they're pictured together. Clifford Brown, as far as I know never played with any of those folks.
I wanna see this picture of Parker and Coltrane! Where can I find it? Oh, and Henry, have you heard that kid prodigy from Sicily who was taken under W Marsalis' wing at age 9? Francesco Cafiso I think his name is. Saw a youtube thing where he was 16 at the time, he came on after a bunch of older cats doing a Bird tribute and blew the house clean down!
(edit- found the link for Ko-Ko, enjoy.)
Glenn Hughes Fan Forum - YouTube

My dream band would all be youngsters, it would be fun promoting and touring young prodigies who can swing as hard as that kid can, might be the only way to get young people to connect with Jazz on a big level these days.... Maybe Miles could be coach....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeplanet ➑️
My dream band would all be youngsters, it would be fun promoting and touring young prodigies who can swing as hard as that kid can, might be the only way to get young people to connect with Jazz on a big level these days.... Maybe Miles could be coach....
HAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAA , OMG, the tears are rolling down my eyes...

I can just see "Miles" as a coach to these kids:

"shut up!"
"you don't know ****"
"when you see this horn go to my lips, STFU"

Miles would be the LAST person I'd EVER consider to be a coach to kids. He'd surely rip them a new a-hole and forever scar them, having them run for the hills in fear the word "jazz" might be spoken in their presence...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
That's funny. He'd probably just look at you with the withering eye like your a worm, say, "Motherfukker can't play ****!" and then just walk out.

No Miles be about the last person.
πŸ“ Reply