Quantcast
Classical music recording.... - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Classical music recording....
Old 1st April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Here we are forced to hang mics most of the time. I do the rehearsal on stands and move them around until the sound is right. Then my assistants and I duplicate those positions with a hang.

We charge extra to do the mic hang. If they don't want to pay the extra, we don't do it.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
..... my assistants and I .....
You have assistants !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
You have assistants !
And he can afford to turn down jobs that don't pay extra... heh
All is well - Plush deserves to be in such a position, but not everybody is that lucky, esp. if it turn out just before the concert that there is nowhere to put stands or that someone protests...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Dude--
I don't turn down the job. I just move to using stands instead of hanging. A diplomatic discussion was had and the client knows that they are not paying to have mics hung. That is their choice.

By the way, all of my assistants are paid a good wage. No one has to work for free here.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Unhappy

Quote:
By the way, all of my assistants are paid a good wage. No one has to work for free here.
Not disputing that at all - just that when I looked into all the legal and insurance bits I would have to do to employ an assistant I just could not afford it.

Public Liability Insurance goes through the roof with a second person, + everything else just made it not viable at all for me.

I can easily afford to pay an assistant a decent amount - but all the other things I have to legally pay in the UK make it unviable as I don't record all day, every day.

But at least I have a Nagra VI. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
when I looked into all the legal and insurance bits I would have to do to employ an assistant I just could not afford it.
Europe is absurd....... We have so many taxes on business that it makes it nearly impossible to start a business.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's one reason so many people 'volunteer' in exchange for 'expenses,' isn't it? Back when I was a student wine was like a second currency - I still smile when I think of the case of vintage Burgandy that I was given for an edit-job heh (and I think I'd have earned my standard fee from just selling a couple of those bottles!)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dude-- I don't turn down the job. I just move to using stands instead of hanging.
Oh sorry - I misunderstood...

Quote:
I would never doubt that.
Old 1st January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu ➡️
It's also possible, and not difficult, to make telescopic stands that only consist
of two sizes of tubes, the ascending telescope alternating between the
two sizes, only limited in height by the strength of the material used. Stands
with this type of design can be much lighter since the two sizes of tubes can
be thin (not starting with a wide tube on the bottom with increasingly thinner
tubes as the stand ascends as in a traditional design). The lightness of this type of design has less buildup of overall weight from the tubes, which can help to make the stand more stable.

The lighter the ascending tubes are in relative to the weight of the base of
the stand, the less likely that the stand will fall over.
A long term return to an oft-revisited topic.....how to get tall, thin, sufficiently rigid stands sensibly high enough for concert use. Rode has recently released some new boom poles...aluminium and carbon fibre. They recommend (naturally) only using their lightweight AV or NT6 type of mics, as otherwise flexion and bounce could be expected when held horizontally.

However, if the threaded fittings match appropriately, it's feasible that replacement of conventional steel or aluminium telescoping components (in the tall vertical stands we already have) with the thinner, lighter Rode ones could work ? With vertical usage of common SD mics, you'd expect minimal bending or flexion of the newer tubes ?

It'll be necessary to slide (or slice ) off the foam handgrips....

YouTube

YouTube

Rode Micro Boompole Pro Ultra-Lightweight MICROBOOMPOLEPRO B&H

Rode Micro Boompole 3-Section Telescopic Boompole MICRO BOOMPOLE

Rode Boompole for Rode NTG1, NTG2 and Video Mic (10') BOOMPOLE

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ction_pro.html

Last edited by studer58; 1st January 2019 at 02:04 PM..
📝 Reply