The fat lady has sung... - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The fat lady has sung...
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenor39 ➑️
24 days 'till I make the trek to Colorado! Goodbye Florida, hello mountains! I just hope I can get everything done by the 25th... aieeeee!!
Mike,

It's a shame as I am considering getting out of Orlando as well. With the close of our local opera company I'm very disconcerted as to our town's hopes.
Old 23rd May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Leaving for Denver in 2 days! The U-haul is packed and I still don't have a place to live when I get there! I've had 2 Craigslist rentals go down because people don't seem to like keeping their word anymore...
Old 23rd May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Leaving for Denver in 2 days! The U-haul is packed and I still don't have a place to live when I get there!
How much space is left in the UHaul?

-Dan.
Old 26th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
YAy!
Great to hear this!
Wish you the best.

This thread has come to a wonderfull conclusion...

wait, no... Have you found a place yet?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We're on the road right now. We spent the night in Colombia, MO, and are trying to make it to Denver by tonight. No apartment to go to yet, but we'll stay in a hotel until we find something. It's rained the entire trip, from FL to MO! Not fun with a fully loaded trailer behind you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Drive safely. I'm moving from New Jersey to Nashville this weekend. Fortunately, I already have an apartment there. Good luck in your search.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
Drive safely. I'm moving from New Jersey to Nashville this weekend. Fortunately, I already have an apartment there. Good luck in your search.
I had a place there when I was touring with the Stamps. Nashville is a nice place. I miss it a bit. You will find that the South is where it is at.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray ➑️
I had a place there when I was touring with the Stamps. Nashville is a nice place. I miss it a bit. You will find that the South is where it is at.
Hey Teddy! I just moved to Virginia and loving it! I'm planning on a trip to Charlotte NC soon. Where are you these days? Want to hang for an afternoon?
Old 27th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

We're here! Drove 450 miles on Sunday, 700 Monday, and 750 yesterday! Kansas sucks! For any of you that are the prayin' type, we still need to find a place to rent and we have no furniture!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just wonderin' - shouldn't houses be available for sale dirt cheap these days...?
So why rent?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They are, but it's too soon to buy, not only from the bank's perspective, but we need to get familiar with the area. Most closures take 30 days anyway.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Talking

Quote:
We're here! Drove 450 miles on Sunday, 700 Monday, and 750 yesterday!
I know what it's like - I drive 1,100 miles across Europe quite regularly.

Quote:
Kansas sucks!
But Dorothy liked it - she preferred it to Oz. heh

Quote:
For any of you that are the prayin' type, we still need to find a place to rent and we have no furniture!
We're rootin' for you (even if you do work for DPA) heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You got something against corn?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S ➑️
Hey Teddy! I just moved to Virginia and loving it! I'm planning on a trip to Charlotte NC soon. Where are you these days? Want to hang for an afternoon?
Yessir, thatd be real cool. Ill PM you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's tons of rentals too!. I just ran Craigslist and stopped looking after 10 pages. Good luck!!
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're on the road right now. We spent the night in Colombia, MO, and are trying to make it to Denver by tonight. No apartment to go to yet, but we'll stay in a hotel until we find something. It's rained the entire trip, from FL to MO! Not fun with a fully loaded trailer behind you.
Welcome to my life! My band played in festivals in Missouri, Ohio, Maryland and Illinois last Thursday through Sunday and Maryland looked like this:

YouTube - Great American Taxi's Delfest 2009 set.....talk about blowing the roof off the place!

Needless to say, I lied. We didn't play in Maryland.

Welcome to Colorado! 300 days of sunshine a year! Our meter is now spinning backwards from our PV panels. I think you'll really love it here and DPA will be a great place to work.

Edwin
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Welcome to my life! My band played in festivals in Missouri, Ohio, Maryland and Illinois last Thursday through Sunday and Maryland looked like this:

YouTube - Great American Taxi's Delfest 2009 set.....talk about blowing the roof off the place!

Needless to say, I lied. We didn't play in Maryland.

Welcome to Colorado! 300 days of sunshine a year! Our meter is now spinning backwards from our PV panels. I think you'll really love it here and DPA will be a great place to work.

Edwin
PS Kansas does suck to drive through. I've played some surprisingly fun gigs in Kansas, though, including a festival in Salina where they had Tibetan monks brought in to do sand paintings and be lightning rods for world peace! The music ranged from a hardcore band from Nebraska to jazz big band to one of the best Gospel bands I've seen from Austin TX. I was also hired to play a hemp rally in Kansas that I expected to be populated by a bunch of spacey hippies, but was instead all farmers in suits rallying to get back control over their farms from Texas corporations. One thing I've learned from playing just about every state in the US is that there are amazing people everywhere!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey, Kansas doesn't suck...
EASTERN Colorado sucks!
Kansas at least has fun little towns every 30miles, but usually pepole are just focused on blowing through it....

Salina Kansas, you must be talking about the Smokey Hill River Festival!

Anyway, thats enough about Kansas in a thread about Colorado. Welcome to Colorado! You'll like it (although it did just rain almost non-stop this weekend!!!)
Old 21st October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Angry The fat lady won't shut up...

Well, my expereince at DPA's U.S. branch came to a screeching halt on Monday. I can't get into all of the details at the moment, but will in time. I'm so angry right now that I want to go postal, but cooler heads must prevail.

So, I'm right back where I started and am in a city where I know no one, have no contacts, no job, and several other personal issues that make me want to pack up my truck and get the hell out of here and never look back. I spent almost $10K moving here and have my stuff scattered over 5 different locations. I hate to sound like a broken record, but there it is. What the hell was I thinking (goes to details above)? I'm wanting to go back to the Southeast, I think, and Atlanta or Nashville are places I'm going to be looking at. Man, what a cluster **ck this turned out to be.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Oh man! I am so sorry to hear that. It sounded like such a great opportunity.

I know a bit about the great new job not working out. But that has to really bite with the cross-country move and all.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nathan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus ➑️
Oh man! I am so sorry to hear that. It sounded like such a great opportunity.

I know a bit about the great new job not working out. But that has to really bite with the cross-country move and all.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nathan
I thought it was too, but I overlooked some things that I shouldn't have, being a rookie in the corporate world, and I risked almost everything. That won't happen again.

I don't know what I can do, given the economy, but I need to think carefully about my next move. My head is still spinning, so I need to relax a bit and be in the process of obtaining needed information. The thoughts of you all are appreciated, as usual.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really bad news - hope you find something soon...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Unhappy

So sorry to hear this Mike - what a bummer - and in the middle of a recession.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I really hope you can bounce back.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
So sorry to hear this Mike - what a bummer - and in the middle of a recession.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I really hope you can bounce back.
Thanks, John. I can't tell you how disappointing this was, especially since I still love the mic's, but the rest of it... Here's to God opening new doors for me (I hope).
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well, I saw this today. And now I've thought of you.

Quote:
Recording Engineer/Sound Designer

Institution: James Madison University
Category:
Admin - Broadcasting, Radio, and Television
Admin - Museum & Arts Administration
Posted: 10/21/2009
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time

General Info: James Madison University seeks a Recording Engineer/Sound Designer for the newly constructed, state-of-the-art Forbes Center for the Performing Arts. The Forbes Center is a 175,000 square foot facility with five performance venues, used primarily by the academic programs within the School of Music, and the School of Theatre and Dance in the College of Visual and Performing Arts. The Shirley Hanson Roberts Center for Music Performance includes a 600 seat concert hall and a 196 seat recital hall. The performance venues in the Dorothy Thomasson Estes Center for Theatre and Dance include a 450 seat proscenium theatre, a 200 seat studio theatre and a 200 seat dance performance theatre. The Recording Engineer/Sound Designer will have the responsibility to teach in the music industry program (one course per semester), oversee the recording of School of Music performances, troubleshoot, maintain and administer the School of Music recording studios, and assist with audio and acoustical technical aspects of the Forbes Center.

James Madison University is a comprehensive state university which has been rated the South's top public master's-level university by U.S. News and World Report for 16 consecutive years. With more than 18,000 students, JMU is located in Virginia's beautiful and historic Shenandoah Valley, 130 miles southwest of Washington, D.C. The College of Visual and Performing Arts brings together the Schools of Art and Art History, Music, and Theatre and Dance. With over 90 full-time faculty and 1100 majors, the College of Visual and Performing Arts comprises a vital and collaborative artistic community. The Schools of Art and Art History, Music, and Theatre and Dance are all fully accredited by their respective national accrediting organizations.

Duties and Responsibilities:
*Supervise the recording of School of Music performances
*Teach multi-track recording techniques in music industry curriculum (one course per semester)
*Assist and advise College in audio-technical and acoustical aspects of systems in the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts
*Assist Theatre and Dance with sound console operation, microphone and speaker selection and placement, and other elements of sound design
*Assist School of Music with recording studio maintenance and administration
*Other duties as assigned

Qualifications:
*Master's degree or a bachelor's degree with commensurate/equivalent professional experience required
*Professional experience in the field of audio recording and/or sound design
*Demonstrable proficiency in Pro Tools and Logic
*Proficiency with Waves Plugins
*Experience with or understanding of the following equipment and software in the Forbes Center: Yamaha M7CL-32 32-channel mixing console, Soundcraft GB2 24-channel mixing console, Soundcraft GB2R 16-channel mixing console, Apple Logic Studio with M-Audio ProFire 610 (8-channel audio-interface), Digidesign audio work station software, Final Cut Pro

Pay Rate: Commensurate w/ experience

Special Instructions: 1. Complete the online application at joblink.jmu.edu. Please be sure to include the following: 1.Cover Letter 2. Resume 3. Contact information for three referees

2. Send university transcripts to Search Committee, College of Visual and Performing Arts, MSC 2105, James Madison University, 800 South Main, Harrisonburg, VA 22807

After the initial screening candidates may be asked to send supporting materials (e.g. Electronic Press Kit, examples of representative professional accomplishments).
Application Information
James Madison University
Online App. Form: https://joblink.jmu.edu/applicants/C...src=www.higher edjobs.com&jtrfr=www.peopleadmin.com&adorig=PA
Best wishes for remaining/landing on your feet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting position. Thanks for posting this and I will look into it as I have almost all of the requirements.
Lives for gear

That would be an excellent position. JMU has a very nice music program.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse ➑️
That would be an excellent position. JMU has a very nice music program.
I'm not a Pro Tools or Mac guy. I wonder if they'd make an allowance?heh What's the weather like there?
Old 22nd October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mike, I am really sorry to see you out on the bricks again. I am very surprised, too. I kind of thought you would be tucked in at DPA for the duration. Surely something will open up for you. I appreciate all you have done for me and wish you all the best. If you think there is anything I can do to help do not hesitate to call on me.

All the best.
Old 22nd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Mike,

Sorry about what has happened to you. You really don't deserve the problems.

Take a deep breath, and think about where you want to be in 10 years and make it happen!

When I left my long term job 15 years ago I should have done some more serious thinking about where I wanted to be. As it turns out I did make some decisions that were not good for me but things have worked out and I am very happy doing what I am doing. This will all work out for you as well. Just take time to think and do some soul searching before you make the leap. You have lots of support from members of this forum and some possible job leads so you are already ahead of the game.

Best of luck!
πŸ“ Reply