Quantcast
I'm not a recording engineer/producer/mixer/star, I just play one on TV... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm not a recording engineer/producer/mixer/star, I just play one on TV...
Old 28th March 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Talking I'm not a recording engineer/producer/mixer/star, I just play one on TV...

What about the Posers?

Or should we just deal with being the ghost "engineer/producer/mixer/star" for them?
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Worse yet, does it kill you even more when you have to sit back and watch an AE that is just screwing the pooch on a mix in your truck because you are the tech on the gig? . wait, dont answer that.. I may have provided you with one of thise moments....
Old 28th March 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Ha, ha, ha,

Come on Steve, You did a great job during the show we did together. And it was a bunch of fun to boot!

But, you're right about the other stuff. Don't get me wrong, there are many engineers that know their stuff, the ones that fly by the seat of their pants are the ones I'm talking about. And, they're growing in numbers each and every day.

...You know the ones - They ask for every piece of gear you got, even if it's not applicable, then they ask you to insert the gear on anything and everything and never bother to adjust the settings. And only when you mention they didn't set anything yet, they ask you to tweak it while they go take a nap...

I believe that's the real reason why they have bypass switches on gear. When they don't tweak and all else fails, switch to bypass, sit back and enjoy the lights flickering on and off while you count your rental dollars at work.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
I believe that's the real reason why they have bypass switches on gear. When they don't tweak and all else fails, switch to bypass, sit back and enjoy the lights flickering on and off while you count your rental dollars at work.
Hmmm... I sense some good stories behind this thread--do tell.
Old 28th March 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Hmmmm is right,

But I cannot say it in public....

Even if I change the names and such, they will know and that would not be cool.

Email is another story. heh
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Me too.

I can't say diddley about the time Destiny's Child's engineer gave me their track show tape, and it had everything on it - vocals, bgrnds, music - everything. I had to pull my cans out of the console and stick them directly in the DAT machine to verify...

Now, If I said this on the forum, I might get a nasty phone call or two, plus a veiled threat of loss of future gigs....

Good thing I'm only thinking it to myself....
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
just heard the similar words from Smitty Smith

Marvin "Smitty" Smith, Jay Leno's drummer, just said the similar words, when my friend praised him for his great drumming at the Jazz Bakery.
He said, "I'm not a drummer on TV, I just act as one"

Moko
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A friend of mine took lessons from Smitty Smith for a while. One of his exercises involved playing quarter notes on the snare with your arm starting about a foot away. My friend would do this as Smitty, listening for perfect time, would say "No... no... no... yes... no... no..." after each hit.

He's definitely a real drummer.
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
He definitely is, he was just kidding with my friend.

Moko
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I know.heh
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
This thread goes hand in hand with > https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...-politics.html
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Michael Franks, manager, (nameless) told me to put this box on the main mix outputs, a dbx 160.
He proceeded to squash the ever-lovin-crap out of it. I mean ALL OF IT!
By the end of the show, we literally had to wake the entire audience up!
I used a James Brown scream. The club manager almost fired me when he got done laughing.
The Bottom Line, a house full of silly stories. It could be a sitcom.
Old 25th August 2019
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…