Quantcast
What's the best way to transfer Minidisc to computer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the best way to transfer Minidisc to computer?
Old 24th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
What's the best way to transfer Minidisc to computer?

Hi,

Newbie question on Minidisc recordings. What's the best way to dump a recording off minidisc into say ProTools or other Audio software? For example, go analog- use two DI boxes to get the signal up to line level, do I even have to do that? Then go out the MD with a stereo Y cable into two DI boxes, 2-channels, pan L/R on mixer, then play/record into the computer, or should I, if possible, use the Digital Cable, and go into a mixer with a Digital input, do they have that typically or is it sort of a limited application? Like a Yamaha 02R? The main question, is one method better than the other as far as getting the best possible stereo recording archived? I'd ofcourse love to get a nice portable DAT someday, but for now I'm trying to best use my Sony MD. I realize it's a compressed digital format. I have a show on MD I want to get into ProTools, and am curious what will yield the best results in audio fidelity. Digital to digital? No one seems to know around the studio I attend for school. Someone has to know out there. Thank You for your wisdom, knowledge.

-808st8

Why do actors blink when they play dead!?
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Digital to digital. Why convert inbetween when you don't need to especially when dealing with cheap converters.

I do this quite often with my portable MD. Optical out into digi 001 optical in.
Old 25th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
MD to computer

Thanks Brenton! I figured it was the Digital route, just wanted some agreement out there. I'll see if the 02R has an optical input, hope so. On another note, before I start another thread, do you know anything about exactly what Atrac3 is, and how it's similar or not similar to MP3? I know it's different, but what's exactly taken out of the audio by Atrac compression? How close is it to CD quality, or DAT quality?

Thanks Again,

Cheers!

808st8
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry, don't know anything about it, never bothered to find out. I don't use the MD for anything important, I often get interviews on MD from a client who wants to release on CD.
Old 25th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
MD

Yeah, MD is fine for interviews, speakers, etc. Works great. I know from other uses how it sounds for field recording and so on, just curious what's happenin' to the recorded material once it's inside the little box. Maybe I'll post a thread, or maybe I should just layaway a DAT :- ). I love using found sounds for Sound Design and my music. So does the rest of the audio world. Cool.

Cheers

808st8
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The MD data compression makes use of "psychoacoustics" to delete stuff that it thinks we won't really hear or notice anyway. In my experience it works pretty well, and it compares very favorably to other consumer grade media (but not professional). But you can tell the difference. I find it simplifies the higher frequencies. You still get good clarity and sharpness, no hiss or anything, but you get less detail.

For me the bottom line is: use MD for convenience only, and only when necessary, but if it's all you've got it'll do.
Old 25th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
MD discussion

Thanks for the breakdown on Minidisc sound quality. I agree with everything you said, and the highs really do have less detail. Oh, I found out something kinda silly in regards to my questions on how best to transfer MD recordings to a computer - The Optical jack is an input only on my model, duh. Shoulda read the microprint on the MD player. I guess my MD is consumer, good point. I have the MZ-N707. Higher end MD player/recorders have an optical out, like Pro Decks. I could just rent one. Learn something new every day.

Thanks,

808st8_______________________________
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sorry to revive this decade old thread, but I've got to transfer 20+ MDs and have only a MD walkman with only headphones output. What would be the best possible setup?

Questions:
1- What'd be the ideal output volume on the walkman? (50%, 100%?) I'd suppose 100% for a better S/N but am asking anyway.
2- Would I be better using a DI in, or a Line in from my Firestudio? (what would be "better", given the headphones output from the walkman? I have 2x High Z inputs)
3- Would there be any noticeable difference if I used my onboard Intel HD audio to transfer it with a p2 cable? The reason I'm asking is that its a lot of material to transfer in realtime, so if I could just use my HTPC for that it would be nice. Also, keep in mind lots of the MDs (not all) were recorded in LP modes, so each one may hold up to 4h of audio with lesser quality.

Thanks for replies, best regards
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The last Sony MD enabled file transfer to a computer
Look for you of those on the Bay.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Hi-MD, WAV file capable, SONY allowed digital xfer. It is quick and painless but does require the Hi-MD and accompanying software. To be sure about this, check at Minidisc Community Portal for the full story and full support.
Old 7th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, volume at 100%, line input of your interface is fine.
Feeding line level into HiZ inputs is also fine.
Built in inputs usually are not very good, but you can always try both and listen if there is a difference.
Using inputs with analog gain and trim is recommended for better s/n ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saciestudio ➑️
Sorry to revive this decade old thread, but I've got to transfer 20+ MDs and have only a MD walkman with only headphones output. What would be the best possible setup?

Questions:
1- What'd be the ideal output volume on the walkman? (50%, 100%?) I'd suppose 100% for a better S/N but am asking anyway.
2- Would I be better using a DI in, or a Line in from my Firestudio? (what would be "better", given the headphones output from the walkman? I have 2x High Z inputs)
3- Would there be any noticeable difference if I used my onboard Intel HD audio to transfer it with a p2 cable? The reason I'm asking is that its a lot of material to transfer in realtime, so if I could just use my HTPC for that it would be nice. Also, keep in mind lots of the MDs (not all) were recorded in LP modes, so each one may hold up to 4h of audio with lesser quality.

Thanks for replies, best regards
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks friends guess Ill be using the Firestudio lines then just to be safe. I really dont want to buy gear for this, Im doing it exactly to get rid of the MDs once and for all... Been carrying them for too many years.
BR

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz App
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depending on the recorded levels, and on the performance of your player, I would be wary of just blindly setting it for 100% output level. It is certainly true that a stronger signal will likely result in a better (higher) signal-to-noise (SNR) ratio. But I would be wary of distortion or even clipping in the playback circuitry. And of course you would use a new battery, or run it from a mains power adapter (if available) to eliminate power issues.
Old 7th September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
mini discs transfer

OK I have a lot of min discs that I want to put in my computer to transfer to external hard drive for the field all our mini disc have been recorded on sony equipment at MDLP4 rate I have been reading all the notes here and want to know what the best way to do this is I have a sony MDS E-10 pro player/Recorder with optical output is this going to help or be easier,Guess I need help-Sparks
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
OK I have a lot of min discs that I want to put in my computer to transfer to external hard drive for the field all our mini disc have been recorded on sony equipment at MDLP4 rate I have been reading all the notes here and want to know what the best way to do this is I have a sony MDS E-10 pro player/Recorder with optical output is this going to help or be easier,Guess I need help-Sparks
Yes, keep it in digits. Take the optical out and record real-time into an optical digital input.

I think the output will be 16/44.1 and keep it as a wav file.
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
The other option is to find someone with a Hi-MD and the proper accompanying software and ask him to do the xfers. They are faster than real time and result in WAV files as John said. However, if it is a compressed file it is not going to be any better when xferred to a WAV file. You need a sorcerer to make the copy better than the original.
πŸ“ Reply