The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom H4 Questions
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Question Zoom H4 Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder.

1. How well would this work as a low-budget audio interface? How would it compare to the EMU 0404 USB interface? I plan to connect a condenser mic or two to the recorder for higher quality results. I've read that the on-board preamps aren't the quietest, but are decent enough for most non-professional purposes.

2. Is it possible to overdub on the machine? I mean without connecting to a computer or anything. I assumed not, until I read this:
"4-Track mode offers a fairly sophisticated way to create overdubbed-multitrack music compositions and mix them down within the machine, but that use is beyond the scope of this review."
Here's the link:
Transom Tools: Zoom H4 Digital Digital Recorder Review
How would this work, exactly?

3. Is it possible to use both the built in mics and an external mic simultaneously?

I plan to use this to record cello, piano and other (non-electronic) instruments.

I would appreciate any information you have!
Thanks
Old 21st October 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. It sounds fantastic as a standalone interface on 24bit mode. I had one while traveling in europe last year, just that and a MacBook and got fantastic results recording acoustic guitar and various drum sounds hitting on pots and pans in the apartment I was staying in. Quite honestly, it sounded even better than my Digi 002R at the time, which was later dubbed "Ditch-the-002R", and I did.

2. I don't know about that, never used the internal 4-track functions.

3. I don't think you can use the stereo internal mic and an external one simultaneously, but I could be wrong. You can however plug any mic into it and bypass the fitted X-Y mics. I've done that with great results.
Old 21st October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I posted some samples of the Zoom H4 used with an external stereo mic here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...stery-adc.html

I chose to use the H4 because I didn't want to bring my computer. I doubt the sound will change if you plug it into your computer to get the audio directly...

And YES, it has a four track mode. EDIT: You CANNOT record 4-channels at once!!!!! But you can record two and playback four total.

Enjoy.
Old 19th December 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The H4 in 4 track mode for a scratch pad recorder is extremly easy to use. You cannot use the 2 XY mic and the inputs at the same time however i bet dollars to donuts when ZOOM releases H4 mark II it will have that feature.

I have seen some crazy modifications on the web of someone making H2 into a unit that will record 4 LINE inputs at once.

Zoom H2 modification; now with 4 line inputs! on Vimeo

You could probably change the mod to keep 2 XY mic and 2 line inputs to take a board feed if you where so inclined. You end up with 2 stereo Wav. files at 24 bit 48 Khz
Old 19th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have compared the Zoom with the Tascam and the Edirol counterparts and would say that that latter two surpass the Zoom in sound quality, Especially with the internal mics. I think the best use of these recorders is to plug a good mixer into the line inputs and use the AD only, which sounds fine.

Quote:
How would it compare to the EMU 0404 USB interface?
This probably the best sounding USB interface you can buy for anywhere near that price point. The Emu pres and converters are far better than the Zoom's. None of these little recorders can compare. IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi. I'm a Quadriplegic (i.e. paralyzed from the neck-down) writer. I'm also on a ventilator. However, I do have an extremely vocally loud an understandable voice in comparasson to most though.

Does this recorder or any others you may recommend have:

1. Hands-free recording sessions by voice activation?
2. Can the audio files convert to text by using say my Dragon Naturally Speaking?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimpedOne ➡️
Hi. I'm a Quadriplegic (i.e. paralyzed from the neck-down) writer. I'm also on a ventilator. However, I do have an extremely vocally loud an understandable voice in comparasson to most though.

Does this recorder or any others you may recommend have:

1. Hands-free recording sessions by voice activation?
2. Can the audio files convert to text by using say my Dragon Naturally Speaking?
I have the h6, I don’t think it has voice activated recording but I will check back to confirm.

Interesting question on dragon naturally speaking. You could plug the output of the zoom into an input on an interface, so I can’t see why that would be any different than using a microphone into an input.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, I have used this app a lot to dictate things while driving (I was a social worker and had trouble keeping up with notes, this would help me). I like that it didn’t have the time restriction of using Siri- it just keeps recording until you stop it and the text translation is really good. I can’t say how it compares to Dragon, but I found that I had to make far fewer corrections using this than any other method I had tried.

Are you able to navigate an iOS interface with voice or head switches? If so, maybe this would work well for you.
📝 Reply