Quantcast
another "live to 2 trk" question..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
another "live to 2 trk" question.....
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
another "live to 2 trk" question.....

Got another jazz gig tonight in a room that has always resulted in excess drums on the recording. The band sets up in front of a 30ft wide, floor to ceiling window. Having this hard surface directly behind the band causes unnecessary reinforcement of the drums, while not having a significant impact on the other instruments.

My problem - how to either pad the drums or boost the rest of the band a few dB, while recording through a simple XY pair? I realize that the short answer is "it can't be done", but I was wondering if there are any tricks that might at least help out a little?

thanks.

steve
[email protected]
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Can you set up a few tube traps or some sound blankets on a few mic stands in front of the window? If the sound blanket thing is more do-able, you can always cover the blankets with some nice material, so it doesn't look so nasty...

It is a Jazz club, you don't want it to look too bad, even if it sounds good.

Even better, If you can hang (drape) some dense material, covering the 30ft wide, floor to ceiling window?

Don't pad the drums, just cover the window!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…