Quantcast
Charging Clients? How Much? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Charging Clients? How Much?
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Charging Clients? How Much?

Hello, I'm wondering what people are charging clients for live recording. Obviously there is alot of different live recording.

How about something simple. A pair of Neumanns plus the soundboard feed into MOTU 896 onto Digital Performer (4tracks) to be mixed another day. I've been getting asked from non-friends and am unshure whats to quote.

What do you folks do?
Old 18th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What you should charge and can charge are sometimes totally unrelated. I have a minimum and I won't leave my house for any less then X amount per day. You need to factor in travel time, gas, tolls and other expenses and still figure out what your services are worth. Check to see what other people in your area are charging. If you have a lot of experience and know what your doing charge more, if it's your first time out you won't get as much.
Old 18th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I totally agree with Jay.

He's spot on with the concept. Just charge what you think you're worth!

Your price should be based on the experience, quality and standards you bring to the table.

Just because engineer "X" charges a "four figure" rate, doesn't mean you can charge the same fee. Especially if you don't have the chops that engineer has! At the same time, engineer "Z" may only charge a few bucks, because of one reason or another. That doesn't mean you couldn't charge a better rate if your worth it!

Be the better judge. Charge your client a fee that makes you feel good and gives them value to boot!

I hope this helped.
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well, I've been an engineer for a few years and recording live shows since 97'. Anyone care to share ballpark figures at all?

I'm assuming an hour and a half of actual recording. It's an hour drive to the gig. The post will be done at my own pace the next few days, but should take at least 2-3 hours. For a client I AM chums with I was thinking of asking for $50 if he is using for a demo, or $100 if he want to sell it. I will be using at least $7000 in equiptment even though it will just be a 4 track matrix style.

Thats for someone I've known for 6-7 years.
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ARE YOU [email protected] NUTS??? buddies don't accept charity from other buddies!
The kind of CHUM your talking about gets tossed overboard to attract sharks!
You asked so heres my ballpark. (with buddy discount)
$400 to walk out the front door
$100 Travel expence
$ 85/hour on the gig
$ 65/hour to edit and mix
A fair price for a GREAT product.
Don't sell your talent short! tutt
Think of the hours your logging on your gear!
Last but not least, consider that some of us make a living doing this!!!
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For simple voice remotes (2 - 4 mic setup)

$500 day rate
+ travel if over 45 min.
+ tape stock
+ post time
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You see, you see why I ask? I'm gonna put you all out of buisness! Thanks for giving me the ballpark. In this case, it is a improv live gig. Gordan Stone, members of South Catherine Street Jugband, and EBKT. They just want to have a disk to hand out for free. But I have been under selling myself for a while I guess. I don't get alot of gigs but I'm aiming to change that. I think it will be costing at least $200 to get me out of the house from now on. I have a fine line between getting no gigs at a fair rate, and some gigs at a below than fair rate. I gotsta work somehow.
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Right On! good attitude. Its amazing what a few good gigs and money in your pocket will do for your self esteem!
Old 19th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cleantone
You see, you see why I ask? I'm gonna put you all out of buisness! Thanks for giving me the ballpark. In this case, it is a improv live gig. Gordan Stone, members of South Catherine Street Jugband, and EBKT. They just want to have a disk to hand out for free. But I have been under selling myself for a while I guess. I don't get alot of gigs but I'm aiming to change that. I think it will be costing at least $200 to get me out of the house from now on. I have a fine line between getting no gigs at a fair rate, and some gigs at a below than fair rate. I gotsta work somehow.
Hey cleantone,

When you put us all out of business with your (at least) $200.00 day rate, can we come work for you? heh heh heh
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
When you put us all out of business with your (at least) $200.00 day rate, can we come work for you?
Sure, how $15 an hour for your skills? fuuck

I would love to add a zero to that figure but I also want to book clients

Can I still join the union?heh
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have been doing remotes for 15 years. $500 + materials and (in some cases) travel will get the client 8 tracks. 24 tracks is 1000-1200 (depending on what I am asked to do- usually i can do 8 tracks by myself, more requires one or more assistants, that's an extra expense the client pays). I'll bring mics, cabling, splitter, preamps, outboard, tape decks. That's the base, depending on what i am asked to do, it might cost more. mixing is extra. my clients tend to hire me because of the quality I provide, they've usually hired me because they heard and liked something I did. The cold calls asking about price rarely hire me- probably i'm too expensive. i like it that way as I get to work only with people that are serious about their recordings. (apropo to another topic, that usually means that when i walk into a place, the client makes it clear to all that i am in charge- they are paying too much money for it to be otherwise). Oh, i am a non truck operation (can't afford to build one- and maintain- one).
I long ago learned (the hard way) that if you do something for cheap (or, worse, for free), it is valued (by the client) the same way- cheap. i don't know anyone who likes being the rodney dangerfield of remote recording.
Old 20th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cleantone
Sure, how $15 an hour for your skills? fuuck

I would love to add a zero to that figure but I also want to book clients

Can I still join the union?heh
You're too kind.

Sure you can join "our" union. The fee is $5000.00 and that does not guaranty we can provide you work...

If you're interested, contact Jay Crouch, he can use the bread!

I'll keep you posted on the $15.00 per hour gig.
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cool

Cleantone:

Ask for $250.00, and take the $200.00, if you must.

"Since 1997" is not all that long a time, and $200.00, plus the chance of more potential gigs from this guy, and any others who might hear your work from that gig, beats hanging home NOT making anything, playing Nintendo, IMHO!! dfegad grggt
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…