Quantcast
snare mics with good rejection? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
snare mics with good rejection?
Old 12th April 2003
JGP
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I really like Sennheiser e609's. Side address makes it easy to get them over the snare head and reject H Hat and other drums. The e609 silver is now $99
at Musician's Friend etc, introductory offer of new silver version supposedly more like the old 409.
Old 12th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
My favorite sleeper snare mic is the AKG D310. I don't know anything about it, seems to by a hypercardiod and works well on snare and guitar amps.
Old 12th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll throw in a note for the elusive AT Midnight Blue. Good luck ever finding one, though. For a $50 mic, it has some shocking reach and detail. Fan-****ing-tastic on snare.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For the snare and toms, a super- or hyper-cardioid will certainly give you more on-axis directionality, which means that the kick and hat will clearly be much less of a problem. However, you might find more cymbal included as a result of the capsule's polar response. After all, the back end of the microphone is facing practically straight at them. Whichever problem you consider worse, i guess is the telling factor. Just realize that it's not a free ticket.
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by post78
For the snare and toms, a super- or hyper-cardioid will certainly give you more on-axis directionality, which means that the kick and hat will clearly be much less of a problem. However, you might find more cymbal included as a result of the capsule's polar response. After all, the back end of the microphone is facing practically straight at them. Whichever problem you consider worse, i guess is the telling factor. Just realize that it's not a free ticket.
That of course depends on which direction you fire the mic in from. Many a time I have used a Beyer 201 (Hypercardiod) to really good effect. My arguement over most of these things here, if the hats are loud, either change the hats or get the drummer to play them quieter, thats assuming that he doesn't want his hats loud.

Regards

Roland
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
My arguement over most of these things here, if the hats are loud, either change the hats or get the drummer to play them quieter, thats assuming that he doesn't want his hats loud.
That's also presuming that the drummer can play his hats quieter... I had a nightmare session late last year with a drummer who seemingly had no control over his individual dynamics. We've all had the sort, "LOUD=GOOD"!!

Honestly, I spoke to him 3 times about it, the last time being 20 minutes standing in the room explaining why and how this was to be done. So I'm stood there saying "no, softer on the hats.......still softer....BINGO, keep it like that!!", etc. I rush back into the control room, foldback "Ok, here we go!", hit play, and, bang, straight back to how it was on the first take.......drummers. I'm sure this same drummer aimed for the snare mic!!
Old 14th April 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
EV RE15
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
That's also presuming that the drummer can play his hats quieter... I had a nightmare session late last year with a drummer who seemingly had no control over his individual dynamics. We've all had the sort, "LOUD=GOOD"!!

Honestly, I spoke to him 3 times about it, the last time being 20 minutes standing in the room explaining why and how this was to be done. So I'm stood there saying "no, softer on the hats.......still softer....BINGO, keep it like that!!", etc. I rush back into the control room, foldback "Ok, here we go!", hit play, and, bang, straight back to how it was on the first take.......drummers. I'm sure this same drummer aimed for the snare mic!!
If he's that bad a player the records going to be pants anyway! But things like the 201 will help. Not everyone wants to b helped though!

Regards

Roland
πŸ“ Reply