Quantcast
Tascam DA-P1 mic pre mods - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam DA-P1 mic pre mods
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Tascam DA-P1 mic pre mods

Is it just me or are the stock pres just about unusable? Anyone know of a good mod? Please don't tell me to take an outboard pre....As is this thing sounds like my portable minidisk recorder!
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
OK so i just couldn't wait... I took this thing apart and from the layout of the board it looks like the front panel pot is POST mic pre section,
meaning that you have NO CONTROL over input gain (besides the pad on the mic). Even the -20 db switch on the top appears to be AFTER the mic amp section. No wonder It always distorts so easily!!!!!!!! The mic pre is always wide open!!! It also appears as though there are identical resistors in parallel within the mic pre section that might be the key place to change the input gain. (Eliminate one in each channel and dbl the resistance of the circuit.) Any other gearsluts been down this road? rollz
Old 5th February 2003
urumita

๐ŸŽง 15 years
In-line pads. What are you recording? Jet Airplanes?
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yea, i've got the shure in line 3 position pads and a selection of them i made myself for use with my v72s. But my goal is to be able to send the thing out and record stuff with no additional crapola...NONE. Yesterday I recorded a medium volume male V/O @8" with an AT 4050 with pad on, and still got this distortion! I guess i'm just amazed at the bad design of the front end.grudge
๐Ÿ“ Reply