Quantcast
spend some to get some. . . - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
spend some to get some. . .
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
spend some to get some. . .

i recently had some guy from a business card rack thing company call me and try to get me to advertise w/ them. they are the guys that put big racks w/ tons of business cards o them, in diners, restaurants ,shopping centers and so on.
it made me wonder what interesting means of advertising have people used that actually worked (got them business $$$). or for that matter, ones that didn't work at all and made you look like a fool.

i kind of like the idea of diner placemats. . .cuz i always look at them when i'm waiting for my eggs over-medium w/ homefries and wheat toast.

ok, lets hear the stories now.
Old 31st January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Every time I've run an ad I never get a response from anything other then tire kickers if any. I try not to advertise and if I do it's because I have extra money around or it was just really cheap.

Last year (maybe two years ago) I got a call from the Supermarket business card guy and that was a joke. Someone might be wasted in a diner at 2am and take a card to get a Tatoo or decide that they want to get divorced. They're not gonna say, "Hey, lets take that $5000 we've got kicking around and make a record". Maybe it'll work for your business. There's a guy up here who's studio does basiclly singer songwriter karaoke kind of stuff and it's been working for him. But, a big project for him might result in a few hundered. I'm at a level where that doesn't work.

My best advertising is word of mouth which takes a long time to develop. I'm on year #6 as an AE and I'll be running Mad Moose for 3 years in November. If you don't have a website together you should make that the next thing you do.
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: spend some to get some. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamike
it made me wonder what interesting means of advertising have people used that actually worked (got them business $$$). or for that matter, ones that didn't work at all and made you look like a fool.
I literally work sublimital messages in the artwork of the CD labels I print up. I'm also a sucker for typoing "50 E-cue is the greatest engineer in the history of the world" (when all the others say "10 Welcome to studio B") in the SSL "splash" screen saver.
Old 31st January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: spend some to get some. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I literally work sublimital messages in the artwork of the CD labels I print up.
Now that's cool. Any of those that you'd like to share?

I was always a fan of having the SSL computer that that the assistant is a tool or something. Now, that won't work on a Wackie or Soundcraft or even a Trident. No computer.
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
as always a fan of having the SSL computer that that the assistant is a tool or something.
Tascam DTRS decks have a hidden function where you can program the power up greeting... I've got a friend whose decks say "Welcome to _____ ______ Studios, Now Pay Up Mother****er!"

As far the original topic, the only form of 'advertising' that has really worked (ie, actually brought money thru the door) has been credits on the back of a client's CD or on their website; Everything else seems to result in high "noise" ratio and no real income. YMMV.
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sorry, I thought the profanity checker would catch that!

Apologies...
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: spend some to get some. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Now that's cool. Any of those that you'd like to share?

I was always a fan of having the SSL computer that that the assistant is a tool or something. Now, that won't work on a Wackie or Soundcraft or even a Trident. No computer.
I try to make each sublimital different. Sometimes I'll take a pic of me & the artist/producer with my dig cam, and put "Ecue : Greatest mixer ever" in the reflection of their eyes. Or sometimes I'll put a fliter of the text over the 'artwork' that you don't notice unless you photocopy the color image with a b/w copier with the contrast on high. I usually point 1 of them out to the artist and tell them how many more there are. It's basically a silly waste of time, but it does let the artist know you pay attention to detail. The main reason I do this stuff is so the mofo label doesn't forget (or al least doesn't have an excuse) to give me album credit which I guess IS a great form of advertising.

On the 9000, I do the "splash" thing. On G series stuff, I'll do the "sign" "This stuff sucks. You should call ecue" thing.

To my suprise, no one has edited them to say "Ecue sucks", at least that I've seen.

I thought about grabbing J Lo's ass that year at the grammys when she wore that green dress. I'd never get to work on another Bad Boy Record's artist again, but I'm sure it would make the news. And no news is bad news right?
Old 1st February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: spend some to get some. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I'd never get to work on another Bad Boy Record's artist again...
And that would be a bad thing?
Old 1st February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Tascam DTRS decks have a hidden function where you can program the power up greeting... I've got a friend whose decks say "Welcome to _____ ______ Studios, Now Pay Up Mother****er!"....
Very funny, but...

The only problem with a long message like that is, you got to wait for the message to finish before you can work with the machine. If you had to power down & back up quickly, you still got to wait for the message to end. In an emergency, it seems like forever.
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Very funny, but...

The only problem with a long message like that is, you got to wait for the message to finish before you can work with the machine. If you had to power down & back up quickly, you still got to wait for the message to end. In an emergency, it seems like forever.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is but one of the major diffrences you need to consider on a remote gig vs in house, in the studio, you re-boot, and the client gets a laugh that disarms the situation, at a live gig, you re-boot and the client reads the message for waht seems like forever and responds, " I ain't paying a cent, Mother****er!"

I have often wondered if there is a way to hack the Amek total recall so that you could have it get agitated when the knob positions got close.. " No too far, you missed it, what a moron!" you know, like your wife giving you driving directions...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…