Quantcast
two track recorder for the next 10 years? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
two track recorder for the next 10 years?
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
two track recorder for the next 10 years?

Sorry, but I just don't see any sense in moving over to CD recorders from my trusty DAT. CDs may make fine storage devices, but I do not like using them for live recording (try rewinding 10 seconds under pressure)

But what else is there to replace my SV3800 when it eventually dies? Will the Nagra V be several thousand cheaper by then? Other ideas? There are lots of cool new multi track recorders, but has the 2 track recorder become a dead format? How about a 2 track Radar-compatible box? Or maybe that Genex 2ch DSD?

steve
[email protected]
Old 30th January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I like the Tascam DSD 98 concept. For many reasons.

The first one that comes to mind... It's the best of both worlds. Use it as a tape based DSD recorder or switch it over to DA98HR mode and use it as a hi res 192K 2 track machine or 96K multi track format for stem or surround mixing. Second, SMPTE TC lockable. It's ready to handle many formats.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the Tascam DSD 98 concept

Yeah, thats a good one. Lets just hope the price comes down over time. I could buy an ATR Services ATR102 "new" machine and pay for a Uhaul and 2 strong guys to lug it around for the price of the Tascam DSD box.

These digital recorders are supposed to be cheap, but I guess it'll take DSD a few years to become old news
Old 30th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Stereo?

I don't like to come onto forums to blatantly plug products, but as a mastering recorder just consider the new Genex GX9000 8-track HD recorder. That's 8-tracks of DSD or 192kHz PCM, full SMPTE TC, video-lock, etc., and with full AES31 (read broadcast wave PCM files) and DSD-IFF file format support on FAT32 disks, you can take the disks and go straight to a Sadie, Pyramix, Sonic Solutions or even Pro Tools workstation and plug it in. That's a little tricky with a tape-based recorder!

Regarding stereo only products, you have to consider that with the costs involved in developing a new recorder these days, it's not much more to produce 8 tracks over 2 tracks, so why limit yourself to two? An eight track will record stereo just as well as a stereo recorder!

Anyway, if you fancy taking a look (and take a look at the 48-track recorder too), here's the website:

www.genexaudio.com

Cheers,

Simon Burges
Genex Audio
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've used the Genex GX8500 in the past. Really reliable and the converters sounded pretty nice too, although we ended up using an Apogee AD800SE for A/D/A.

On the cheaper side, you could consider an Alesis Masterlink if all you need is 2 tracks. The box is pretty easy to use and fairly flexible.
Old 9th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I still use my trusty Tascam Dat, but used prices for machines in the trade papers have hit all time lows, indicating to me that everybody's selling up and using something else.
Old 9th February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I think you need to look very seriously at the issue of blank media.

I strongly recommend not using DAT any more because the quality of the tape has dropped like a rock since the computer industry has stopped using the format. This is also likely to be the case with High-8 tape where the only brand that still is reasonably high quality is Fuji and IT could go away now that the Exabyte computer tape drive has been discontinued. The cheapest media available is CD-R and DVD-R with hard drives about to pass them up in GByte/$.

This means tape IS going away or at the very least is about to become a really expensive luxury because pro audio users represent a tiny tiny fraction of the market.

The answer is looking more and more like laptop computers driven by first-class converters.
Old 9th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Bob, that's a pretty heavy reality check.

And a very scary thought to me.

Imagine if some eccentric millionaire, that totally loved magnetic tape, purchased all the disregarded tape manufacturing and tape slicing machines and kept the tradition going. We could have 2", Hi8, DAT, DVCAM, etc. for ever and ever....

Yeah, right. grggt
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think that 2 track is a no no for the future anyway. so much more is going multimedia these days and surround is likely to become almost the norm. Even if music predominently stays 2 track, most studios are going to end up with some surround needs. I go with Bob on this one, by that I mean I reckon its going to be Computer based.

Regards

Roland
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
the end of tape is near. grggt grggt
Old 10th February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I'm not holding my breath for surround. Been there, done that in the early 1970s.

The most basic problem is horrendous translation between different playback environments. Mainstream artists go into a righteous tizzy the first time they confront this which relegates surround releases strictly to reissues and classical/avant garde music that can't cover its freight in stereo today.

Film folks get around this by putting nothing that is balance-critical in the surrounds and everything important in the center in mono. You can sort-of do that with music but it is rarely as good as the fake surround that can be generated from any stereo mix. When consumers discover the same thing, they aren't interested in paying extra for surround disks.

Music is not film is not video. The electronics industry didn't "get it" in 1970 and they don't today.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I'm not holding my breath for surround. Been there, done that in the early 1970s.
Now that I agree with.
So many people listen to music on cheesy headphones and on car stereo's.
On top of that, a lot of music is made in the home these days. Not many home recordists know what to do in 5.1, let alone want to spend the money on the systems to produce it - the least of which is 5 speakers.
Old 10th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
6 speakers
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Not many home recordists know what to do in 5.1,
Put me in that category
πŸ“ Reply