The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which splitter before active DI ?
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Which splitter before active DI ?

A Bass player I work with wants me to take the Avalon U5 we used in the studio on the road for some live gigs we'll be recording.

Problem is I don't have a clue as to what kind of splitter I need to use so I can split him before his amp on stage and then go into an active DI. I understand the impedence and level issues, I just don't know who's box to use.

The last time out on the road with this player I took a line out from his amp (and miced his cabinet.)

What about splitting at line level and then going into the active DI ?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 22nd January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Taking the Avalon U5 on the road sounds like a great idea.

The U5 has a Hi-Z 1/4 inch input for the instrument and a 1/4 inch thru jack for the amp feed. You really don't need any additional splitter. It's already in the device.

The very high input impedance can handle a wide variety of instruments from acoustic GTRs & basses to high-output active GTRs & basses. If applicable, you can even take the speaker out of your bassist's rig (up to 400 watts) and plug it into the rear 1/4 inch input jack.

As you may already know, the U5 also has two XLR output connectors; one 150 Ohm mic and one 600 line level.

You have a few options already available within the U5 itself. Experiment and see what works for you.

I hope this helped.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks Steve, but I guess I omited an important point. The U5 will be racked with the HD rig offstage.

What I'm looking for is a splitter at the Bass guitar that isolates the U5 from his amp. I don't want to just use a Y cable.
Old 22nd January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Gotcha,

How long will the run be? If too long, unbalanced is not the way to do it. If it's a short run, why not try one of those Whirlwind line level splitter boxes.

Are you really set on keeping it in the rack with the HD? If so, try the speaker out or maybe the line output from the bass rig (if it has one that is) to the U5. You can run the line level or speaker feed a lot further and stuff...

Does it make sense?
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well yeah that all makes sense. I just remember working a few gigs with an awesome engineer in Nashville who swore that splitting right out of the guitar was best, that not taking the players amp line level out was cleaner.

Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Sure, it may work just fine. But it will not work well on very long unbalanced cable lines...

That's why I recommended the line level out or speaker out of their bass rig. If the DI HAS to live in the HD rack and your unbalanced cable run is way too long, it's a positive option. I'd rather have a little noise from the amp and a good signal, over hum and buzz because of a (way too) long unbalanced cable run.

Again, how long is your unbalanced cable run? And Does your bassist use an active or passive instrument? Knowing this will help.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cable runs will vary in length from 30' to over 100' in one house, and he uses 3 different basses, 2 active and 1 passive. You can see my dilema here, no simple elegant solution if the U5 is in my rack.

I think the key here is to convince him to put the U5 in his rack on stage and use it the way it was intended to be used.

Thanks for helping me sort it out!
Old 22nd January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
What you just said, sounds logical and obvious, but that doesn't mean your bassist will buy it. heh

Good luck. Keep us posted on your developments.
πŸ“ Reply