Quantcast
The STONES on HBO LIVE RIGHT NOW, BABY! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The STONES on HBO LIVE RIGHT NOW, BABY!
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The STONES on HBO LIVE RIGHT NOW, BABY!

anyone know who is doing the brodcast mix? Sounds real good in 5.1, but the stereo foldown ( I only heard the first song like that ) seemed to suck.. I am watching via Direct TV, Looks and sounds great anyone else watching?
Old 19th January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I knew someone would post about this, before the show finished.

The music mix was provided by Ed Cherney and Dave Hewitt aboard Remote Recording Services' Silver mobile studio.
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I figured it wuld be Mr Cherney, he has been doing thier stuff for a while now.. all in all a great show! One of the big tip-offs early in the show was the lack of anything in the center channel, Ed has said in interview in the past that he would not ever "solo" up a vocal in the center if he had the choice...

Dave, care to elaborare on the setup?
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hey everyone,

this is my first post, sorry it's a negative one but...

they sucked. their performance was off 40 to 50 % of the time. a few tunes sounded great but... it's HBO. can't they do better then that? They were more "on the money" during the Steel Wheels tour.

Darryl Jones seemed to be the anchor and evryone else kind of drifted in and out from there.

Jagger was amazing. He was on point for the whole show.

what did you think????!?

I didn't hear it in 5.1. Just good old stereo and it sounded like there was too much audience in the mix. It sounded like some of the close up audience mics were louder then the mid or rear mics. It sounded strange to me. Am I the only one that noticed this?

Hey, it's only rock n roll, And I DO like it, maybe I'm too picky. heh
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fuzzy Logic,

Thats the Stones, baby! Seriously, i like to refer to them as the garage band that made it, how about the huge guitar gaff about 10 seconds in, pretty sure it was keif.. I thought Ron Woods was going to start laughing... and during "Waiting on a call from you" the meter sucked and Charlie was having a hell of a time ( it seemed) finding what the heck Richards was using for one..

As for the Stereo mix, I agree there was something funky going on, I am guessing it is a result of the foldown, because if aything, the 5.1 mix did not have enough of the crowd ( for me anyway)

Sheryl Crow rocked as allways.
Old 20th January 2003
Founder

I was just musing yesterday how Jimmy Miller still remains my number one production hero...

I figured out that I admire him for pulling together rough performances into a solid block or music 'vibe / commercial product.

Something he did with his overdub production + repairs technique and of course his vibe...

Old 21st January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic
...Jagger was amazing. He was on point for the whole show...
Agreed.

Jagger was in perfect form. He looked and sounded great!
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How old is Jagger? 59? 60? That sumbitch can still move.

But now I realize why he decided to take up guitar. It gives him some breaks from dancing throughout the show. Smart move.

Yeah, I heard some missed chords and during one song -- I forget which -- everything got a little disjointed. But like the guy said, that's the Stones.

Jasper
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i love the stones as they just play no matter what happens...

sound wise...on my crappy home system, which i cannot get the 5.1 mix, the downmix sounded dry and lifeless. when they moved to the small stage it sounded a little better though. the audience was not coming across on the big stage for me for some reason. lots of good work from the band and crew.

the most people i have ever played for, when a working musician, was 13,000 and i will tel you if your monitor mix or position on the stage is wierd you are ****ed. talk about strange phase cancellations and things that sound like they are a mile away and coming back at you at no the speed of light....

my last comment ... rest in peace the crew of Columbia and my most heart felt sympathy to the families. great heroes, not unwilling to do anything it takes for progess and adventure too....

peace john
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…