Quantcast
Private Messaging... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Private Messaging...
Old 8th January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Question Private Messaging...

Private Messaging, does everyone know it's there?

Don't get me wrong, I love GS and I dig the PM system, but...

Does it work for you? Sometimes I get an inbox full message, even when my inbox is empty, because I've saved too many PM's.
I don't save my PM's anymore so I can make sure I get my messages.

Should we even have an option to save PM's if the inbox PM quota is the size it is now?

Also, does anyone check it? I still have sent PM's that haven't been read since November or December.
Old 8th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: Private Messaging...

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness

Does it work for you? Sometimes I get an inbox full message, even when my inbox is empty, because I've saved too many PM's.

Also, does anyone check it? I still have sent PM's that haven't been read since November or December.
The the size of the storage folder is a problem for me - I've had messages (both incoming and outgoing) bounce like you have.

And I do check it, though it would be easier to do so if the notification were at the top of the page instead of the bottom (you have to scroll down to see if there are any new messages).
Another option might be to have any undread messages appear when you select "View New Posts" - is that possible, oh web mistress?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mailbox size, way too small, and is ther even an indicator as to how much space you have used/have left?

An indicator on the top of the page would be nce as well..
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would like to be able to disable private messaging. I keep getting people asking questions via PM and I keep having to direct them back to the public forum. Or at least have some sort of "automatic answer" telling people that I don't do PM conversations.
Old 1st October 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think the notification is too small and should blink red when you have a new PM to get your attention. MTCW
Old 1st October 2013 | Show parent
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley ➑️
I would like to be able to disable private messaging. I keep getting people asking questions via PM and I keep having to direct them back to the public forum. Or at least have some sort of "automatic answer" telling people that I don't do PM conversations.
This is easy - visit https://www.gearslutz.com/board/profi...do=editoptions - scroll down to 'Private Messaging' and then un-check 'Enable Private Messaging'.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
You can disable it.

I, too, often get PMs asking for help - but I will answer the PM and help them.

Normally the questions are more specific and I am happy to answer the PM.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have an active PM life on GS. I receive quite a number of PM's per year.

Mostly these are from people seeking specific advice or asking me about a recording technique.

I answer most all of them promptly and then I delete 90% of them.

So I do DIG the PM system here. I have not yet run in to "message box full" warnings.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I feel that using PM to answer questions defeats the purpose of this forum. It is of both immediate benefit and future benefit to keep discussions in the public forum. It helps ensure the person asking the question that the response is "vetted" by the collective knowledge in the forum, and it is of future benefit for people with similar questions to find the question and responses from previous discussions.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I'm with you on this one, Richard.

That said, PMs are indeed an important part of this community.

Quote:
I feel that using PM to answer questions defeats the purpose of this forum. It is of both immediate benefit and future benefit to keep discussions in the public forum. It helps ensure the person asking the question that the response is "vetted" by the collective knowledge in the forum, and it is of future benefit for people with similar questions to find the question and responses from previous discussions.
Old 1st October 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It depends what the question is.

Some are not really right for the forum or ask for details I would not write in a public forum, in which case a is the better option.

And most of the questions I get by PM are of this type.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I use the PM for a personal message to a member when I do not have his e-mail address. It is invaluable for that function. I agree with the others that technical/recording questions are best answered in the forum as that is what it is for.
Old 1st October 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
There's a category of what I guess you'd call "commentary" that, for whatever reason, is just way too funny to appear on the public threads. I mean-- decorum is a value I have learned, through painful experience, to cherish.
Old 1st October 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't mind PM's as long as they are polite and respectful, especially where I know detailed information about a particular matter of discussion that other's might not know.
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

The Private Message system is an important part of GearSlutz, allowing otherwise unrelated parties to connect in a direct manner. The exchange is sometimes just a quick note and no more, but it can also lead to personal emails, phone calls, in-person meetings, or professional collaborations.

PMs are the first step in this process. Not all conversations are appropriate for the public forum, and not everyone wants to reveal other contact details immediately.
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I feel that using PM to answer questions defeats the purpose of this forum.
I disagree. I don't get many PMs but the one I just answered is a good example of the usefulness of the system vs the open posts - someone wanted to discuss my charging method for editing, asking for an example of my charges. I don't mind going into that with an individual but I would prefer not to tell the world. People might laugh.

On one or two occasions I've answered a question on a PM but also posted the same answer (with context as appropriate but not breaching any confidentiality of the person who PMd me) so that all can benefit from my wisdom. (No jokes please).
Old 11th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I think the notification is too small and should blink red when you have a new PM to get your attention. MTCW
Strange. I always get one of those little white boxes that reads: "The page at Gearslutz.com says: You Have a New Private Message". While the whole tab goes dark. Just like when you have to insert the url of an image. In fact, I can't even continue on to the site until I "deal" with it. Either OK or cancel. I have a pop-up blocker on in Firefox and it asks me if I want to open it in a new window, etc.

I think Richard Crowley's points on keeping useful knowledge public and on the record are good ones, but it depends on the kind PMs you get!

I don't get many people asking me for specific technical advice heh, but the PMs I find are nice for chit-chat and compliments and commiseration that might be inappropriate or off-topic in a thread.
Old 11th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
... compliments and commiseration....
Or like I do, for the outrageous backstabbing and catty 'insider' tattle-tale-ing.
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I almost never get PMs
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…