The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your mic cabinet?
Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What's your mic cabinet?

No, not what's in it but WHAT is it? I have all my mics sitting in a glass door cabinet that used to hold my parents old stereo, they were going to throw it out so I took it and gave it a home. Now, I'm thinking that since I have a bunch of mics I should actually get something more secure that locks. While I was at the mall tonight I saw this great looking wood chest in a store that's going out of business and it had a space for a lock on it. But, then I realized that it totally wasn't practicle because if I wanted to get something from the bottom I'd have to pull everything out and then put it all back. So, I need some ideas, what do you keep your mics in or what could I keep mine in? Let's try and keep it to $150 or less.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use some cheapo mic cases I got for MF at $6 each. I jump around from studio to studio a lot so it works out best for me.
I did work at a project studio that was using a shoe holder they got from a bowling alley that was shut down. I thought it was clever.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jay . . I'm doing the same thing right now. I was looking at some things at an Office Depot . . . but being metal, obviously they could make noise plus I want to get something that is a cool looking piece of furniture as well . . . .. since it's going to be out in the room.

I saw something cool at a Home Depot Expo . . but it seemed too small. It's probably going to be something from a furniture type joint for me as opposed to an office joint. The problem is, will it have enough room to hold some of these aluminum cases that the Brauner, etc are in? Will it have room to grow?

$150?? Man I doubt that! Not where I am looking.

I don't want drawers . . or maybe a couple for adapters, screens. I want something that I can slide the **** in and get to easy enough. It has to be fairly deep.

I'm amazed I have not had any (mics) go out the door . . the way I have been storing them lately. Been lucky . . . plus there is video security here . . . AND I don't book just any one in here. I got to WANT to work with you or be around you . . . . so I feel people out. A dog that weighs well over 100 pounds and would rip someone's nutz off for me probably helps too.

Let me know what you find . . I will do the same.
Old 4th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
I built storage closets in the tracking room with shelves. Not completely secure (the closets double as bass traps, so you could put a foot through the doors), but it works fine for now. I'm thinking about buying some road cases, though, with drawers. That way, I could roll the mic case to whichever part of the room I want.
Old 4th December 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I'm not sure if this will help your situation, maybe you'll get a brainstorm from it.

We placed the nearly 300 mics we use in various plastic gun cases. Each case is labeled as per make & model. The case sizes range from two to four gun capacity, so you can store plenty of mics in them. All cases have multi -- layered foam. The mic cases are stored on shelves and away from harm's way. When we need a lot of mics on location, we can place up to 6 large sized mic cases in each of our utility trunks. Plenty of options are available with this system.

If you need a lot of the same model mic, just grab that particular case. If you need one or two mics out of that lot, grab them and place in an empty case as per your session's rider. Just bring in the mics you want to use. There's no need to have all your mic's out in the open, if they're not in use.

Maybe you can build or use a closet with shelves, then place your mics in their individual cases, safely away. I also like LiquidStrat's "cooler" solution. Perhaps you can get a couple coolers, place them on shelves in a closet, under lock and key. One cooler could store your dynamics, the other all your condensers. Coolers come in "cool" colors, nowadays.

Now the economics, the gun cases I got from Sportsman's Guide cost me under ten bucks a pop. I'm sure coolers can be found at pretty good prices during this season. You may already have a closet to place them in. Cheap clean and safe. Just add foam.

Maybe this helped.
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mounted to a corner wall in the live room is a 4' tall x 3' wide cabinet with wooden doors that could be broken by a good karate kick. But that would risk damaging what someone would be trying to steal. I lock the cabinet each time I leave the room, right in front of the musos. I do it in a way that looks like habit (which it is by now) instead of paranoia.

Inside is lined with grey berber and the exterior is painted black so it doesn't look like it takes up much space in the room, which it doesn't afterall.

Oh yeah, there's a brass metalwork statue of a stick figure drummer playing a set ontop of the cabinet. Looks cool and gives a nice pang when you flick on the bass drum.

Total cost was about $40 in materials not inlcuding statue which was a gift.
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've got a pantry type cabinet. Its particleboard and came from K's Merchandise for about $50. I had to put it together. It has a little lock, but it hasn't been locked in years. It lives in a closet in the control room that's behind the console.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've always been a firm believer in BYO if you've got the knack. Can you sling a circular saw and a screw gun? Table saw would be better but a steady hand and a circular will do.
Old 5th December 2002
Founder

Plastic stacking system box in the control room...

All the others are labled, (power, XLR, digital, toys, etc) NOT the mic box! Why make it easy for a burglar?

Old 14th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
An arbitrary assortment of Anvil briefcases & similarly sized ATA cases, all parked in the bottom of the studio closet. None of them were purchased specifically to be mic storage, but I got them all for free so it was a waste to only use them for whatever it is that one normally uses an arbitrary assortment of Anvil briefcases & similarly sized ATA cases for. I have them divided up as Dynamic mics, LD condenser mics, & SD condenser mics.

I have a 24" x 16" x 6" Anvil ATA case set aside for Ribbon mics, but unfortunately it is still empty!

-b
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if it doesnt need to be able to do stairs, I have seen a couple studios make use of those big rolling mechanics toolboxes that lock.. There is a big multi studio complex in Toronto that uses them for mic closets, there is some serious weight in them ( I think they put bricks in the bottom or something...) so that you could never walk off with them, then they wheel wherever you want em in the studio and still lock up.

Not sure about the $150.00 limit though, I have never actually bought one.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Locking rack drawers in the big machine rack. They came with the rack from a folding video company. My friend dropped it off and it went to work immediately as the new mic locker. Alpha had no idea where my mics were until I told them they were right under his nose. The only way to get the damn things out would be to tear them out of the rack. I've never torn metal before but...
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i personally use the beautiful locking all aluminum brushed finish attache case that my audix mics came in....it resides behind the wet bar next to the scotch selection...most of which are single-malt in their make-up.......i dont worry too much about theft as theres only me and my mates working here at this time...besides all visitors must pass through the large black dog security system before they can set foot in the studio..........
Old 17th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OT about dogs

My dog can sense people who "just ain't right". If you carry a bad vibe, evil thoughts inhabit your crawlspace, or you don't come in peace, he knows. Luckily, we've rarely ever met up with the bad and the ugly.

He's about 65% Akita and 35% Newfoundland.

I love him more than most people I know.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…