Quantcast
Rush in Rio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rush in Rio
Old 30th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Rush in Rio

Hi all... I just got back from recording Rush in Rio and Sao Paulo Brazil. I used the ARP mobile located in Sao Paulo. The truck consisted of 4 Yamaha 02R's 48 tracks of MX2424 and 7 DA88's as back up (which was needed as we got bitten by the vidiots with bad video black) The show in Sao Paulo was basically a sound check for me. There was no video shot for that show and was just an audio record hence all sync and timecode was internal to the truck. Everything went fine. The bands performance that night was good but not great. The next night was in Rio at the Maracana soccer stadium. This was the show to be recorded for the Rush DVD. There was about 45k to 50k in attendance. The band performance was outstanding. The video truck was a sports truck and much modifications had to be made in order to facilitate all the camera ISO's and digibeta decks. In all both the audio truck and video truck were adequate but lacked much of what I would call essential. No Video or timecode DA's and most important to me NO DESTRIPILIZER to look at the lock between Black and TC. I strongly feel no mobile audio truck who works with video trucks should be without one of these babies. On the show in Rio problems with both timecode and sync from the video truck made the MX2424 stop about 7 times in the first half of the show. The second half of the show we made the decision to use the trucks internal sync and the machine worked fine. With non linear editing systems that are out there now, finding an offset and letting it roll should not be too big of a problem.

As for my time in Rio, the people down there were very friendly, the beaches were awesome and the beach attire worn by the natives well......
Lets just say I am looking forward to my next trip down there.
Kooster
--
Kooster McAllister
Record Plant Remote
1170 Greenwood Lake Tpke.
Ringwood NJ 07456
973-728-8114
973-728-8761 Fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
recordplantremote.com
Old 30th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Wow... the Maracana.

I would love to see a gig there!
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
reasons we all hate video 101. Sorry to hear it dude, thank God for backups, eh?
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sounds like you made out pretty well, congratulations.

I lived in Brasil for 2 years. What you found with the truck was much better than the average experience, you got lucky.

The people are friendly and warm, but it's a desperate country. The vast majority of the country's wealth is held by a very small percentage of the population.

As for the beaches in RIO, well yes they are wonderful, except for the daily sweeps by the gangs that'll rob you in broad daylight while the police look the other way.

In fact I'm trying to understand why they would want to shoot down there ?

I don't mean to put negative bend on your thread, but it's just that this is one of those places that somehow gets an idealized image put forth and the truth is it's not anything like the image.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…